back to article Samsung chuckles, swerves around Apple's Q1 phone sales crash

Samsung delivered what Apple couldn’t in the first three months of 2016 - increased smart phone sales. The chaebol today reported overall group net profit of 5.25 trillion won ($4.5bn), up 5.6 per cent for calendar Q1 on sales that grew 5.6 per cent to 49.7 trillion won ($43bn). The giant’s mobile unit reported eight per cent …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's the simple things

You know what drove me to Samsung over Apple (was an apple user for many years)

- Feeling actually in control of my phone

- Not having to use things like itunes - I just drag and drop videos, music and photos onto the Samsung.

- Removeable back - I can swap the battery out in 10 seconds and be back at 100% - no charge fear when you have three very light spare batteries (although not all do this, my note 4 edge does).

Yeah, I don't think it's as easy to use as an iPhone, but they do feel better as an actual user

1. Bob Vistakin
      Unhappy

Re: It's the simple things

Oh dear.

2. N13L5

Re: It's the simple things

Well, you can't actually remove the back on the S7...

Was this a canned comment from a couple of years ago?

I stuck to my Note 4 instead of "upgrading" precisely because I can still swap the battery and I have a micro SD card slot - and of course, Big Brother Apple isn't present, which started to bother me mainly because it wastes too much of my time to keep jail-breaking the f*kkers for each update.

Samsung's garbage is less difficult to get rid of - permanently...

I'm no fan of any corporation's bullshit bonanza, I'll just take whichever is the lesser annoyance.

2. Ashton Black

My migration.

Was similar. My last iPhone was the 3S and it was iTunes that propelled me into over the walled garden into the somewhat mucky arms of Android(s). Hated that app with a passion.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reg article leaves out vital information

Samsung had seven straight quarters of declining sales. A bit easier to increase sales off such a mark, than it would have been for Apple to post its 53rd straight quarter of increasing sales.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Reg article leaves out vital information

Well, yes this really isn't like-for-like: Samsung releases a new phone and see sales rise. Nevertheless, given that the market seems to have topped out, any growth is impressive.

The real story behind Apple's numbers is that it is reaching the plateau that everyone else reached two years ago: expanding into China was very good business for Apple. And even with declining sales it's still trousering most of the industry's profits.

But you do have to wonder whether they have any new tricks up their sleeve. The IPhone SE is pretty underwhelming and Apple is nothing like as well prepared to deal with the multi-tier consumer market as others are. Both the IPad Pro and the watch have failed to take off and where are the new Macs?

There's already a lot of hype about an IPhone 7 in the autumn but that could end up being like Samsung's 5 – an impressive phone in itself (I like mine a lot) – but not really good enough for lots of new sales. It's a big ask.

In the meantime Samsung and Huawei and others are ramping up the development cycle in response to the ever improving competition from the low end.

Is Apple also ready to crank things up? How about some ARM-based Macbooks? I'd buy one unseen. Or are they going to continue to play it safe?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why would you buy an ARM Macbook "sight unseen"? How will it differ from an x86 Macbook, other than being slower and having a lot less software? Maybe they can price it a bit lower, and due to its lower performance it might have a bit longer battery life, but I don't really see the point.

1. SuccessCase

Why would it be slower?

The intelligent measure of performance isn't the fastest chip in raw performance, but the fastest chip for heat produced. The future of everyday computing is the new MacBook, not systems with cooling fans. Sorry measured using the most relevant basis, ARM is simply faster.

4. John 104

Diversity

Who would have thought?

When Apple continues to tank through the next few years, companies like Samsung and Intel will continue to show profits through market diversification. Fads come and go, but if you can be the one supplying the chips for them, you are in a good position.

5. Chemical Bob

Proof...

...that Apple's sales decline *must* be Samsung's fault. Sue them! Sue them into OBLIVION!!!!

<adjusts tinfoil>

ok, i'm better now

6. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

There was no Apple's Q1 phone sales 'crash'

No one but this author has dared invent that the more than usual decline of iPhone sales in Apple's Q2 (not Q1) was a "crash". It is also invention that Samsung is enjoying any 'chuckles' over Apple. Samsung's too worried about its horrible profit margin, hacking of their Samsung Pay and 'Smart' Home systems, loss of manufacturing contracts from Apple, the shutting down of their Milk Music service, its declined sales and poor product reviews of a variety of their products. That's why Samsung has recently been slashing thousands of employees.

Meanwhile, Apple continues to do very well. Their actual Q1 was extremely profitable. We'll see if their iPhone sales recover with their new releases. If I want the best, it's still Apple, as usual.

1. DerekCurrie
      Angel

Re: There was no Apple's Q1 phone sales 'crash'

And then this happened:

Samsung's Value Drops Almost $7 Billion After Galaxy Notes 'Catch Fire'

http://fortune.com/2016/09/01/samsung-galaxy-phone-fire/

*Chuckle*Chuckle*

7. Nonny Mouse

Do you know what I think would help?

Getting rid of the headphone socket. Then everyone will buy your phone.....

1. andy67

Re: Do you know what I think would help?

I'm not sure anyone else has the courage to do that ;-)

8. andy67

Insane Bravery

I'm not sure anyone else has the courage to do that ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like