back to article Brainwave-controlled drone racing is here

Florida has hosted the world's first drone race where the participants eschew joysticks and instead direct the quadrocopters using the power of their brainwaves. Youtube Video "We're starting a new trend in society," said Juan Gilbert, Chair of the University of Florida's department of computer and information science. "There …

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

I saw something like this back in the 90's at a CompUSA store

back in the 90's I saw something like this at a CompUSA store. You put your fingers into a couple of sensors (one for each hand), and "think left" to move left, "think right" to move right. It was actually kind of fun to play the demonstration 'downhill ski' game, until it got boring. I had no trouble at all controlling it back then, so maybe I should get one of those headsets and do some experimenting... ?

(I also didn't see a lot of people trying it - either boring or 'normals' can't make it work?)

2. DropBear
    Trollface

I'm pretty sure I could control a quadcopter reasonably well without any hand-controls - just stick a small tilt sensor based remote on the top of my head an let me tilt it in the direction I want to fly in...

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

not exactly "exciting" yet BUT...

it's a decent start. Who knows, in a few years, this could translate into an extra head-mounted widget on your Oculus or other VR headgear and become a really fun, cool, and immersive experience.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: not exactly "exciting" yet BUT...

Really exiting would be drones being powered by brainwaves.

4. NotBob

Why the heavy-gloved handlers?

I thought they trained birds for that now

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like