back to article How to overcome objections that stop your enterprise from adopting DevOps

In February, Argyle Executive Forum, a talking shop for Fortune 1000 C-Level execs, invited Puppet to host a webinar on DevOps for its CISO members. The event, “Understanding and exploring the impact of DevOps,” went down so well that Puppet is keen to give it a wider airing. You can click here to access the on-demand version …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Original Steve

Enough already!

I'm sure 'DevOps' is used by some, but I've yet to even hear of someone in real life even discussing it, yet alone using it.

Can we have a quota on El Reg about DevOps. Say, 1 article week?

I still have no idea what the fuck it is!

1. Lusty

Re: Enough already!

Well Microsoft write almost all of their software that way now, and AWS was written that way too. Netflix are practically the poster child of DevOps. Is that enough examples for you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Do you have any good examples?

2. Paul Shirley

I can believe Microsoft do devops. It would explain why I'm still finding things last weeks "throw it at the users and see what sticks|stinks" Win10 update broke. I think I'm spending more time testing it than they did :(

3. Immenseness
        WTF?

"Netflix are practically the poster child of DevOps"

That would be the kids who wrote the netflix app for my Roku then. The Roku, with a great pause screensaver, that is suspended by the Netflix app and replaced with its own, which skillfully slowly fades the whole screen down after a couple of seconds on pause, EXCEPT for the film title and progress bar which are left in full on, brilliant white, at static locations to burn the screen. Nice one guys, way to miss the point! But I am sure it was developed quickly using DevOps. Shame they can't fix it as quickly, but despite all the complaints to them, they seem to think it is "cool" the way it is. Hint - screen savers are to save screen burn, not to practice cool fades and effects. My plasma is showing burn where the titles are displayed already and I now have to switch the damn thing off whenever Netflix is on pause now. That will be progress then.

Sorry, someone mentioned the keyword, rant off, beers all round. :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm OK with DevOps article. I think it's how El Reg make most of their money.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I still have no idea what the fuck it is!

Gabbo meats the Monorail?

4. theOtherJT Silver badge

As far as I can tell it translates roughly like this:

Nothing ever gets finished because you can never stop "developing" it to deal with the fact that it's got to keep "Operating" all the time and can't be shut down for proper testing.

Development + Operation all at the same time by the same people, see?

That's certainly what it feels like around here anyway.

5. Crisp

Imagine trying to fix the plane while you're still flying it.

That's DevOps!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Imagine trying to fix the plane while you're still flying it."

Standard procedure for some of the cheaper Russia-based freight haulers, or so I'm told.

6. mi1400

Dear AlReg plz shut the fuck up. DevOp is like a religion which cannot be enforced through methodologies/rules on workforce. It is a religion which will make just ur dept or u feel contented at heart. Plz prove it through ITIL/PMP/PRINCE2 methodologies .. not like that group of ppl in that bank or company embraced DevOps religion and they are now among the few chosen ones told in their lives that gates of heaven have been opened for them. I would also like it to be compared with Scientology or Lohan Project cuz i believe these all three have common roots, ideologies and rituals.

2. Rafael 1
    Trollface

DevOps ‘myths’

Such as it being shamelessly over-promoted in propaganda thinly disguised as "articles" and of value only for those who makes money out of it? Sign me in for several of those (a thousand dollars a pop!)

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Windows

How to overcome . . .

How to overcome the nigh irresistible drive to push your company to adopt Yet Another Fad.

It's difficult.

Because managers are very sensitive to peer pressure and marketspeak, and they live with the illusion that they are more enlightened than the keyboard serf that is tasked with solving the issues and dealing with the daily grime.

Because managers are paid more and we live in a society where value must be defined by a monetary amount, so the serfs mathematically have less value - except that managers never solve problems, they only create pressure.

But technology obeys no marketroid. It is possible, or it isn't. If it is, then marketroids can wax lyrical and invest in lexical creation all day, they are not doing the work. If it isn't, well even managers cannot declare the Second Law of Thermodynamics invalid.

In the end, you can slap any currently-trending moniker on it that you want ; developing applications is done one way : the developer talks with the user to determine the real needs, including the unspoken ones, then returns to his cave to hammer out the code that will make it happen.

Software development has always and always will be the same process : someone has a problem, someone else can code a solution. Inventing fancy new names for that changes nothing and is only done by those who do not code solutions.

Now get off my lawn !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How to overcome . . .

@Pascal -- how much are you charging for this DevOps lecture? I didn't even had to listen to 70 minutes of audio for that!

Have an upvote (market estimate: 7000 euros)

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Coat

I am in the process of developing the ultimate lecture program. It will be titled 42, and I will systematically be drunk every time I enter the stage.

I promise it will be entertaining, enlightening, and slightly insulting to almost everyone.

Tour starts in Europe this century - watch this space !

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I'd buy a ticket!

Please keep us posted.

4. teebie

"It ends with a good Q&A"

'What are you tosspots yammering on about?'

'How do buzzwords help the bottom line?'

'Could you be elsewhere please?'

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not enticing enough...

Last month John Q. Developer, a junior developer, mentioned DevOps at the water cooler at SoftSubMicroInc (a small software development company). While his colleagues gaped in awe he was rushed to the upper management, which offered him a CEO position in the company that owns the company that owns SoftSubMicroInc. Later he arrived at his small apartment to find several Ferraris parked outside, and they keys in his mailbox. A sultry blonde was waiting in a skimpy negligee, and whispered to him, 'your hair is already growing back'.

Now do you believe DevOps is for you?

6. yoganmahew

Aversion control

"He places particular emphasis on the importance of version control – hardly a new concept, yet it requires a cultural change for most organizations, he says."

Say what? Which organisations are these? Keystone Cops IT?

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Re: Aversion control

Honestly, the number of places I know within a mile of me (I might occasionally spend Friday lunchtimes in the nearest pub with other distressed IT staff) that don't have version control is seriously frightening.

I've asked why before, and the answer is always the same: We don't have time to implement it because we're too busy putting out the fires caused by not having it.

I don't really know how you get out of that one.

1. phuzz Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Aversion control

Or you spend time and effort putting a version control system into place for your customer, only to watch them change code by hand on the live webserver because someone from higher in the business demanded that some stupid widget was on the website by yesterday.

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Alert

Stop selling the DecOps snake oil

just let the real snakes lose on those proposing it.

Or Tar and Feather them followed by a week in the sticks so that passers by can pelt them with rotten food for being heretics.

Yes, I have not fallen for the DevOpts Pied Pipers.

8. GrumpenKraut
    Happy

DevObservation

I am the only one finding it somewhat amusing how irate the comments with many of these articles are?

For the record: no clear idea what DevOps is meant to be. Maybe one day there will be a final article about the topic, "DevOps.... ha, ha, trolled you!". I'd appreciate that.

1. Angus Wood

Re: DevObservation

> For the record: no clear idea what DevOps is meant to be.

A simple summary is that, as Agile is to software development, so DevOps is to Agile end-to-end.

Why? Because the business sees change delivered earlier than it would if it was scrum, scrum, scrum, scrum, test, UAT, release.

9. mylnir

DevOps and security, bad mix

Coming from the infosec side, every time I see people pushing devops real hard, I know that infosec is going to suffer badly. Vulnerability counts go up, people insist that infosec has to stop with basic security checks because they delay things too much. Even basic security due diligence is seen as "too slow" and "too nineties", right up to when the systems are penetrated by a basic vulnerability that I pointed out in advance.

Oddly, the worst culprits are those who push Puppet Enterprise heavily. Second worst? The Ansible advocates.

10. Keven E

Buzz...

Just for fun I replaced every instance in the article of the term "DevOps" with "Cloud" and it seemed to score the same in terms of bullshit...

11. FozzyBear
    Devil

How to overcome objections that stop your enterprise from adopting DevOps

What if I am the one making those objections!!

I am confused I thought I was supposed to ensure that the company used well reasoned, tested and proven practices in it's use of IT. Not the latest "I wonder if this would work" suggestion from some ditsy manager who skim read some article and hopes to make some brownie points

12. batfastad

Unsubscribe

Please remove me from your mailing list.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like