back to article Larry Ellison's Brit consortium in 'advanced talks' to buy Aston Villa

Larry Ellison is rumoured to be mulling a substantial cash injection into a foundering business which has seen itself unable to compete in recent years with more powerful rivals. No, not Oracle, but Aston Villa, according to the the word on the street and in The Sun, which says that a Brit consortium linked to the US …

1. Richard Wharram

Pity the Villa fans

When every spectator gets charged for every seat in the stadium because the new ticket licensing contract doesn't recognise skin as a valid human-container.

1. Locky

Re: Pity the Villa fans

Do you think they will have to pay for every seat in the stadium, as it is possbile for them to sit in any one of them?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Do you think they will have to pay for every seat in the stadium, as it is possbile for them to sit in any one of them?

Sitting costs extra…

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

I'm looking forward to all the comparison adverts on the back of The Economist, that show a graph with Aston Villa in a huge claret and blue bar which is double the size of the red bar labelled Manchester United - and says when benchmarked on the same grassware Aston Villa performed twice as the competion.

Presumably if they win an silverware, there'll be an open-top yacht parade round the canals of Brum.

I look forward to Larry holding aloft the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in two years time...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or they'll put an (in) memory foam cushion on each seat as a nice upgrade. Every fan who actually sits on it will be billed double the cost of their ticket at the end of the season.

4. macjules
      Alert

Using the MySQL model, he will buy Aston Villa as a hugely inflated price, then several years later he will by Aldershot much more cheaply (somewhere at the base of the National League), only to find that Aldershot performs far better than Aston Villa and is more popular.

2. gv

"Villa requires a lot of investment if it is going to compete with the other big names in the Premier League"

Something that definitely won't be happening next season.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if a club like Newcastle wouldn't be a better option. They're are underachievers, but could still stay up and have probably enough fans to support a super-team ( unlike, say, Man City, who are the definition of nouveau riche ). Doesn't Ashley want out too?

Villa though? Odd choice.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Everton fan here - please Larry, take us. we can't afford to be fussy. New manager too if you don't mind.

Parris 'cos she could do better than Martinez.

1. macjules

Think YOU'VE got it bad? I'm a Chelsea supporter.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Alas not, If Newcastle stay up that's a guaranteed payment of roughly 100m (65m if they finish bottom + 1/3 due to increase) from the TV rights alone along with further parachute payments. That would increase the sale value whereas Villa are only guaranteed a parachute payment of 26m next season (more for further seasons if not promoted) plus they will get more TV revenue as the former premier league side.

This is not philanthropy, it's profit.

The city model is plough money in, improve the youth squad/facilities so you don't have to buy so many players, create a global brand (Melbourne/New York) and sit back when the money starts to roll in. The TV rights alone are going to be massive next season and the manager will further increase the value of the brand. I see no downside to that especially with all the upset United fans who don't know or have ever known what it's like to lose.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" I see no downside to that especially with all the upset United fans who don't know or have ever known what it's like to lose."

I'm a United fan, and the lowest point in my football watching life was probably getting knocked out of the champions league by Rosenberg, or somebody. We're not built for this kind of torment.

But good point on the TV money. My point was that Newcastle could fill a 70k seater stadium most weeks ( assuming a title challenge ) and sell all the shirts that go with that. I don't know that Villa could do that. Thinking globally, you're probably right though.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I'm a United fan, and the lowest point in my football watching life was probably getting knocked out of the champions league by Rosenberg, or somebody.

Relegation in 1974 was pretty hard to swallow but, more recently, surely having to take down the "35 years" banners was the worst thing to happen?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm not from Tunbridge Wells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgusted_of_Tunbridge_Wells

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I feel the need to defend myself now - my dad grew up in Salford but moved away before I was born. I grew up watching them on TV and in pubs with him. My favourite childhood memories are of that. I think I've got a reasonable excuse to support them.

1. x 7

"My favourite childhood memories are of that" because you were lucky enough not to actually be in Salford......

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Mushroom

ah, the Toon Army's delusions of grandeur…

Even when the Bitters were in the old Third Division they were getting MASSIVE crowds of up 30,000 a game for which they still hold the record. Compare and contrast this Newcastle's attendances when not in the top flight: often less than 20,000.

They might talk a good talk up on the Tyne but they don't do the walk.

1. David Neil

Ya divvent undastand man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkvFnc-AEaI

4. lawlord

you keep your jealous nose out of it and mind your own business !

5. Unep Eurobats

But Villa are definitely going down, so they'll be cheap. There'll be two more bargains to be had, but it's not certain which. I'd like to see Larry snap up the Black Cats.

6. Villan

Villa an odd choice? Founding member of the football league, second biggest UK City, 7 League titles. 7 FA cups. 5 League cups, 1 European cup, 1 European Super cup, 42,000 seater and 140 year old stadium, Die hard fans.

An odd choice according to a Newcastle fan?

Tell me Newcastle and Sunderland's history and honors...

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Villa Park

to become 'The Oracle Stadium'?

We don't have to 'Page the Oracle'[1] to see that this won't be popular with the fans.

[1] A slogan used for the 1st gen ITV Teletext Service back in the day.

1. fishman

Re: Villa Park

Better watch out. The EPL contract with Barclays Bank ends at the end of this season. "Oracle Premier League".

2. lawlord

Re: Villa Park

He can call it anything he likes for all i care, We just want this torture to end

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought Bernstein was Man City Chairman?

1. Old Tom

Yes he was,and then he was at the FA. The Arsenal connection is wrong, someone should mail corrections@theregister.co.uk

6. Rich 11

Do we know if...

...David Cameron approves of this takeover of his favourite club?

Up the Hammers!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Do we know if...

He never misses a game watching The Aston Villa play, does old Cameron. Sitting on the sofa on a Tuesday evening, or cheering from the bleachers.

7. splodge

Where will the failover stadium be?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In the Cloud....

2. wolfetone Silver badge

The Aston Expressway. It's more or less a car park during the morning and the evening anyway. A football pitch isn't going to harm it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Football... the easiset way to burn your money.

I'd use them for barbecue instead, if the paper and ink wouldn't ruin the food. Better than wasting them in any football team... and have to do with brainless fans.

1. Mark 85

Re: Football... the easiset way to burn your money.

I think his America's Cup boat might be worse. There is no income as such. With football, at least there's tickets, concessions, and maybe broadcast rights to a least offset some costs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

LOL!... sailing is like golf, lots of very rich people to reach, not the cash strapped football folks... and a yacht club is far better than a stinky stadium, even if you're in a luxury box...

2. bep

Yep, as Sir Thomas Lipton allegedly said "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it." Mind you, he did end up selling a lot of tea in America.

2. BongoJoe

As Mike Ashley is discovering that the Advertising Wing of Sports Direct is making money hand over fist each year. Where else but football could you advertise your tat and still make millions in profit?

He's got the perfect business model as far as his bank account is concerned. The Toon fans see this somewhat differently.

3. Sandtitz Silver badge

"If you want to be a Millionaire, start with a billion dollars and buy a football club"

9. Rory B Bellows
    Unhappy

We want our Villa back...

10. fishman

Fire sale

Anybody know how much the value of Villa went down by being relegated?

11. ElCommentard

Anything to do with this?

http://footballisfixed.blogspot.com/2016/03/look-at-state.html

It has been heavily redacted (recently). See the comment stating so right at the top. Still, it makes for interesting reading even in its redacted form.

This Vardy fella seen here:

https://s9.postimg.org/opjhv3vvj/james_vardy_leicester_city_close_up_interview_ne.jpg

...reminds me of Gideon in parliament. More the eyes than anything.

What's going on here then?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

""Villa requires a lot of investment if it is going to compete with the other big names in the Premier League"

Yeah, there's no way that a team with average attendance in the low 30 thousands could ever compete in the Premier League...

Aston Villa don't have much talent, but they've also made a series of spectacularly bad managerial choices.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Aston Villa don't have much talent, but they've also made a series of spectacularly bad managerial choices.

Surely Larry's well suited? Clearly knows nothing about the beautiful game, and buys a run down club in an area best described as an urban shit hole.

On the positive side, I suppose he can park his super-yacht in Gas Street Basin, kick his way through the drifts of spent hippy crack cylinders on Holiday Street as he walks down to New Street Station, and pick up a WMPTE number 7 bus to Villa Park. So it's pretty convenient.

13. x 7

Simple

Larry needs a tax loss to avoid paying income tax. He can throw money at the club, see it all go down the plughole and then write it off against his personal tax liabilities. It will cost him nothing - properly presented it may even save him more tax than what he spends

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Larry doesn't like being a loser...

One Rich Arse Called Larry Ellison does not like being second best, so, I cannot see this being remotely true.....

15. DocHodes

EXA-VILLA?

Has anybody explained to Oracle that they wont be able to just 'scale' the team, throw loads more players onto the pitch to improve performance?

16. PassiveSmoking

Is he going to replace season tickets with "per-eyeball licensing agreements"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Minimum three per seat?

17. Bibbit

Has he thought this through?

Maybe as an American he hasn't quite got his head round the concept of relegation? Rumours are the Venkys were not aware of it when they bought Blackburn Rovers.

I suspect he may find The Villa harder to keep afloat than his yacht but I admire his courage. Wonder if he'll attend any live matches? 90 minutes of excremental football in West Midlands drizzle with tens of thousands of drunk Brummies calling you a c**t. What's not to like?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Has he thought this through?

I doubt that's true. Part of the due diligence would presumably include the risks, of which relegation would surely have been listed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like