back to article Boaty McBoatface 'wins'

The #NameOurShip contest has closed, but Boaty McBoatface may yet sink. The Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) is hedging on the outcome of the poll, saying "We’ve had an extremely high volume of suggestions and will now review all of the suggested names." "The final decision will be announced in due course." Boaty …

1. Phil Kingston

I'd say that going with the poll results would fit quite well with part of their charter:

"to generate public awareness, communicate research outcomes, encourage public engagement and dialogue, disseminate knowledge and provide advice in relation to those activities."

I do hope they go with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I concur. Besides, hasn't Elon Musk rewritten the rules on naming important sea-going vessels?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, Musk used a quite sophisticated sci-fi literature inspiration.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Are there other large ships or barges that are named with complete sentences?

Outside of literature of course. ;-)

2. MrDamage Silver badge

Democracy in action

"We've asked for your input, now we'll ignore it and do what we want."

1. theblackhand

Re: Democracy in action

Maybe not democracy but definitely British bureaucracy...

I suspect they will go with the "democratic" option of what the 65m+ people who didn't vote would have wanted to choose.

1. g e

Which would still be Boaty McBoatface if they were honest about it ;o)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So if all the kids and school decided to call your child "Squitty McSquitface" would that be acceptable too?

Ask a stupid question and you'll get a stupid answer

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Because you've shown us that behind a keyboard, you all become two years old..."

Time to rename, say, football teams using the same philosophy, the sport would become much more funny and fans would have much more issue to fight among themselves when teams will have funny childish names, instead of some boastful ones...

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Democracy in action

You remind me of some classic racehorse names:

* Hoof-hearted

* Bucket Of Vine

Say 'em fast.

3. Steve Aubrey

That would be "Mister McBoatface" to you, young sir!!

4. mrjohn

The world needs to get back its sense of humour

Boaty McBoatface it is

5. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Happy

Grow a Funny bone

'RRS Boaty McBoatface'

How fun is that, not only for adults with a sense of humour, but also for engaging kids in the sciences for years to come. The P.R. value alone is priceless. Come on guys, work it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Grow a Funny bone

I see a children's book series:

"The adventures of Boaty McBoatface, the little icebreaker that could."

6. T-Unit

Got what they wanted

It would be a big slap in the face to overrule it. They got way more publicity as a result of the Boaty McBoatFace suggestion than they ever would have done otherwise. They either capitalise on that by going with the name or they reject it and effectively dismiss their huge new found audience.

1. Mark Rogers

Re: Got what they wanted

Being honest though how many people care one bit about the boat or it's mission beyond voting on it's name?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Mark Rogers,

That's certainly true. It was a one-off joke / social media thingy, that will pass and nobody will remember. But of course, there is ongoing free publicity. They'll be able to get at least their first 2 or 3 press releases decent publicity on the back of the name alone, so if they ration them carefully they could get something useful from it.

Of course, there's also the downside of, "it is with regret that we have to announce the sinking of the RRS Boaty McBoatface - all her crew are feared lost."

I guess as a compromise they could give it a "proper" name, then paint a big face on the front, so everyone knows what it's really called. And I'd be surprised if the crew don't end up calling it Boaty McBoatface anyway.

Or perhaps a compromise. Go for an Iain Banks theme, and call it Grey Area. That gives the crew an even better nickname.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> I guess as a compromise they could give it a "proper" name, then paint a big face on the front

Current favoured compromise (according to those in the know *wink* *wink*) is to use a serious name for the ship but to name one of it's small boats as Boaty McBoatface.

Which is a good combo of humour and a nod to democracy. And will annoy the Chermans and confuse the French.

So, good solution all round!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope they make a better job of building it than they have with RRS Discovery, that ship is a total utter shambles! Cruises cancelled due to knackered winches, bad cavitation, etc the list of faults go's on! The boffins ain't happy!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An easy cop out...

> The NERC now has an unenviable choice: use the public's choice, or go with a more typical name that reflects the polar research vessel's function.

An easy cop out is to claim that having the word "boat" in the name of a ship might cause confusion in the event of an emergency / mayday call. Wouldn't want the coastguard searching for a rowing boat and ignoring the big thing floundering away etc etc

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: An easy cop out...

Reminds me of the tale about a newly ennobled trade union peer. The King at Arms wrote and asked if he had a preference for his title. The new peer explained that he lived in Farnham Royal and thought it a cracking title - Baron Farnham Royal. The King at Arms explained that, regretfully, only members of the Royal Family could legally use the word "royal" in their title, however Baron Farnham Common was still open.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: An easy cop out...

A lifeboat volunteer was in B&Q with his Mum, when he got a mobile call from a friend. This guy was on a crewing job in the Caribbean, on someone's yacht, they were in hurricane force winds and had lost power and pumps, and were taking on water. So he grabbed his receipt and a pen to take down the details, position etc.

"What's the boat called?"

"MY Titanic"

"Ha ha. Very funny! Now stop taking the piss!"

Except the panic sounded genuine, and his mate wasn't taking the piss. He described his next actions as, deciding not to phone this one in, but to go to the lifeboat station and call it in from there. As he was much more likely to be believed coming from an official line.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well it is not a boat but a ship. So should be called Shippy Mcshipface. Not got the same ring to it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon