back to article Are bearded blokes more sexist?

Scientists have critically discovered that men with beards are not necessarily more sexist than clean-shaven chaps, despite previous research which indicated "a connection between facial hair and negative attitudes about women". Back in 2015, Aussie researchers Barnaby J. Dixson and Julian A. Oldmeadow asked 309 Indian and 223 …

1. Known Hero

what a round a bout way of stating, it might be influenced by the muslim faith not respecting women much & requiring beards. or ...... am I being too sceptical

You could say they were beating round the ...... Bush

1. Just Enough

wrong

The Muslim faith does not require beards. So you're not being too sceptical, just wrong.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Chris Miller

Re: wrong

There is nothing in the Koran requiring men to have beards, but it is in the sayings of the prophet Mohammed. Some Muslims argue that the sayings of the Prophet may be reinterpreted to reflect changes in society over the last 1,400 years. Other Muslims say that people who argue this way should be beheaded. You pays your money ...

It's undoubtedly true that in Britain, Muslims are over-represented amongst men with beards, but there is no 1-1 correlation between the two sets.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

And I think that "the muslim faith not respecting women much" is also a bit wide of the mark; OK there are *some* Islamic cultures that make women second class citizens (UK ally and arms customer Saudi Arabia is a good example) but Muslim countries like Turkey, Pakistan and Bangladesh have all had female Prime Ministers (Bangladesh still has) so where does that put the USA & UK in the "respecting women" contest?

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The majority faith in India is Hinduism not Islam…

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Known Hero; "You could say they were beating round the ..."

(Known Hero takes out and puts on a pair of children's toy plastic sunglasses)

"... Bush"

YEEEEEEAAAAAA.... er, no.

That's *not* the type of hair that "bush" normally refers to. :-O

By the way, does "round a bout" refer to the crowd in a boxing match?

5. WolfFan Silver badge

what a round a bout way of stating, it might be influenced by the muslim faith not respecting women much & requiring beards. or ...... am I being too sceptical

Errm... in the first place, there's nothing in Islam about having a beard.

In the second place, when I think of 'India' and beards, I think Sikhs, and beards are required in Sikhism for all guys. However, Sikhs are notorious for being of the opinion that women (or at least Sikh women) are equal to men (or at least Sikh men) and superior to some men (that would be any man who's not a Sikh). In other words, Sikh girls are superior to you, boyo, and won't be shy about saying so. And most Sikh girls won't require any assistance from Sikh guys in kicking non-Sikh ass.

In the third place, while some Muslims (Saudi nutbags, for example) aren't particularly respectful of women, others have little or no problems. The Saudi nutbags and those who think like them really hate that, and in many cases don't consider such Muslims to be true Muslims. Said not-really-true-Muslims tend to ignore the Saudi nutbags and friends, which really makes the nutbags upset.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lots of faiths have people with stupid beards and generally being hard for a faith means you're hard for their not written in the last 50 or so years of ethics and morals.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I remember something along the line of "What's Gods fascination with head gear? Wear a hat inside, don't wear a hat, this person can wear a pointy hat but nobody else, long hair but in a hat, no hair no hat"

6. Known Hero
      Thumb Down

I noticed I got a lot of thumbs down for mentioning the "M" word !! (really are we at that stage now !!!)

But if you bothered to read the story written, it was the researchers way of writing that I was commenting upon, But no no no, you all grab your pitchforks and downvote away !! I must be a dailymail skinhead due to the simple reason I uttered the M word :/

Actually it was a response in particular to two paragraphs which led to my comment pointing out it was a rather long winded way of not actually pointing the finger whilst pointing the finger. personally I cant think of many faiths requiring beard growth who have a reputation for not treating women with much respect.

Authors Kahl Hellmer and T. Johanna Stenson elaborate: "We suggest that facial hair is, to some extent, used by men as a sociocultural symbol that, depending on the cultural environment, signals qualitatively distinct group membership

"Consequently, men in different cultures and traditions cease shaving to pursue different social group memberships, some of which may — or may not — be tied to more traditional or conservative values."

2. earl grey
    FAIL

My beard

Says i don't want to bother shaving (for the last 50 years). What a load of rubbish.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My beard

Same here.

As a youth shaving gave me a bad rash so I stopped and have never started again.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> As a youth shaving gave me a bad rash

(To revive an old Usenet meme: AOL)

I do sometimes (as in - twice in the last 15 years) take the guard off the beard-trimmer and cut it back to less than 1mm. Just to remind all and sundry what my unprotected face looks like.

I soon grow it back again.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Windows

@earl grey

My beard gets trimmed, but not completely shaved off.. I was reaching Gandalf proportions over the winter, but have trimmed it back since we have nicer weather.

I agree...

Tramp as he has a beard.

3. EvilGardenGnome
      Trollface

Many, many moons ago I had the fond pleasure of telling off a snide psychology professor. The professor asserted that men grow beards due to a fundamental, and overpowering public anxiety/need to hide.

I countered that I merely didn't shave as I was too lazy to do so, and was too cheap to buy razor blades at 15$ a pack. The prof's response involved a lot of sputtering, a stumbled claim of anecdotal evidence, and a red face over my particularly smug smile.

That was my last psych class.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I first grew a beard because a woman told me to.

Afterwards shaving just seemed pointless.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

@Mycho

"I first grew a beard because a woman told me to."

You too?

That would be the Mrs. I could go either way, shave once in a while, or let it go and have a beard.

> I could go either way, shave once in a while, or let it go and have a beard.

"Either have a smooth face or a nice soft beard"

Been there. Living that.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, it's manly being told what to do by a woman.

And yes, it's always pointless to go against a woman's wishes.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, it's manly being told what to do by a woman.

And yes, it's always pointless to go against a woman's wishes.

Manly is what you do about it, which is none of your business, and it's always pointless to refuse to make less effort in exchange for a reward.

2. BurnT'offering

Re: telling off a snide psychology professor

But was he wrong?

1. EvilGardenGnome
          Devil

My anxiety issues account for a generally curmudgeonly demeanor and desire to show up pompous gits. The beard is pure laziness.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

desire to show up pompous gits.

And what makes you think your beard is more beardly than The Pompous Git's beard?

3. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

The prof's response involved a lot of sputtering, a stumbled claim of anecdotal evidence, and a red face over my particularly smug smile.

That was my last psych class.

Why stop when you were having fun? You could have had many hours of entertainment at that particular professor's expense. If you had played it right, you could have gotten a study funded to completely undermine the professor's stated theory, just like the researchers in the article did (at least the funding part).

1. EvilGardenGnome
          Trollface

I allowed common sense and the scientific method to stop me.

As you can see, I'd make a horrible psychologist. /s (merely as I am good friends with a few...)

1. frank ly

A beard (even a short one) is great for keeping the winter wind off your facial skin.

4. Marshalltown

I had an anthropology professor assert pretty much the same, but who then went ahead and asked why I wore a beard. My list was 1) it grows there, and shaving it off is trouble for no discernible reward, though keeping it clipped keeps it from getting in the way, 2) pain, it's no fun shaving and self-torture is not my bag, and 3) cost and spending options, unless you're a crackerjack with sharpening stone and a strop you buy blades, and not buying a pack means you CAN buy more coffee.

4. BurnT'offering

Re: Says i don't want to bother shaving

Also says you don't mind sporting a handy archaeological record of meals eaten and a fizzog that smells like a yeti's armpit

1. Rich 11

Also says you don't mind sporting a handy archaeological record of meals eaten

A moustache and beard are excellent places to store small quantities of Guinness for consumption on the way home from the pub.

> store small quantities of Guinness

Eww. Guiness[1].

Now if t'were a proper zider wiv bits in it I might be interested. Or a nice bottle of heavy red wine (Rex Mundi will do nicely).

[1] I'll admit that it's not Guiness per-se - it's beer in general. The only beer I've ever drunk without feeling terrible the next day [2] is either German Weissbeer or US Budwiser[3].

[2] Even after small amounts. And I can drink whisky without bad side effects and eat barley-bread without a problem.

[3] Probably because the actual beer content is so low as to be a homeopathic levels.

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

@BurnT'offering Re: Says i don't want to bother shaving

There is this amazing new device called a "shower".

1. BurnT'offering

Re: There is this amazing new device called a "shower".

Does it penetrate through the rainforest canopy bedecking your face? (Looks like someone needs to do a study on whether beardos are easier to wind up than those of the nudie chin persuasion)

3. TheProf
    Windows

Proper sexism

Of course having a beard is sexist. Men grow them only to annoy feminists because women are, frankly, utter shite when it comes to sporting facial hair.

1. ElectricFox
      Holmes

Re: Proper sexism

Are bearded blokes more sexist*?

*sexist as defined by feminist ideology

2. Tom 7

I think Mr Zappa would have cause with that: 'Catholic girls, with a tiny little moustache'.

And largely tiny so as not to offend the insecure patriarch by letting it grow,

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm really not sure old Frank was talking about a mustache on the girl's face.

2. James O'Shea

"I think Mr Zappa would have cause with that: 'Catholic girls, with a tiny little moustache'."

Mr. Zappa is hanging out with the wrong Catholic girls.

Fond memories of Elizabeth Ryan, who most definitely did not have a moustache, tiny or otherwise. I made her laugh by singing Billy Joel's 'Only the Good Die Young'. Not so fond memories of Sister Hildegarde, a.k.a. Attila the Nun, who did not have a _tiny_ moustache. And who could easily have played on the Minnesota Vikings' defensive line, except that I don't think that the NFL allows you to use an 18" ruler to whack the opposing quarterback on the knuckles. I pissed her off when she heard me singing 'Only the Good Die Young' to Liz.

3. Warm Braw

>women are, frankly, utter shite when it comes to sporting facial hair.

It rather depends on how motivated they are..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>women are, frankly, utter shite when it comes to sporting facial hair

I give you my sister and five goats if you tell me where you live. No make that five pigs, then you have a better chance of telling which is the sister.

4. Chris G

"because women are, frankly, utter shite when it comes to sporting facial hair."

Not always true! When I were a lad many decades ago, I had a date with a beautiful Armenian girl I met at a local youth club; when I turned up for the date she was accompanied by an ancient chaperone in a black dress and a black lace head scarf, not only did her facial hair put mine to shame ( kind of Van Dyk, moustache and sideburns) she sucked her popcorn all the way through the first Doctor Who and the Daleks movie.

I was also too nervous to even think of a goodnight kiss at the end of the date.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There is a reason Burkas are mandatory in some parts of the world..

4. Rosie Davies

MISOGNY!

I note that neither piece of 'research' has gathered the views of bearded ladies. Once again hirsute ladies are ignored in a blatantly sexist attempt to sideline those who don't conform to the narrow parameters of conventional beauty.

I shall be writing to the Gaurdinnan!

Rosie

P.S. no, I am not a bearded lady but that doesn't mean I don't have the right to get offended on their behalf and act as a spokesperson for their community.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: MISOGNY!

Fair enough. I think we should survey 500 bearded ladies and ask them: "Is patriarchal conservatism behind the exclusion of bearded ladies from beard surveys?"

1. Stevie

Once again we see a so-called survey in which bias is built-in from the get-go.

The sample should include groups of women, men, transgender individuals and all should be represented by both bearded and non-bearded persons.

These people should be made to wear burkhas and to speak through randomly cycling frequecy shifters when answering the survey to avoid biasing the quizmaster with visual and/or sonic cues.

Each should also wear a harness that can deliver small shocks to various parts of their bodies so that a consistent and non-gender identifying mode of fidgeting can be imposed on the sample.

To be absolutely rigorous the subjects shouldn't know to which group they belong, nor whether or not they are clean-shaven.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How about if we have a survey of whether people take part in surveys?

Experience suggests 70% will vote No.

2. Tom 7

MsOGNY in these PC days I think you'll find.

5. BoldMan

Who the hell is funding this bollocks... oops sorry load of old bullsh... oops now load of cock an... er... rubbish? Phew, think I got away with that one...

1. David 18

Re: Who is funding this...

I suspect that when first proposed, it was to find a correlation between hirsuteness and sexism the corresponding effect on Anthropological Climate Change.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Who the hell is funding this bollocks...

Someone who is either:

a) Trying to get their leg over the researcher(s)

b) Trying to prove a political point.

My money is on (a)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My beard's primary role is as a second-chin concealer

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

You are not the only one

A lot of us who wear beards today have grown up in the days when orthodontist interventions had a much lower success rate, varicella vaccine was unheard of and some of us have even been around smallpox before it was eradicated.

We carry beards to conceal one or more of the above and that has nothing to do with misogynism.

2. Mike Moyle

Indeed -- A sufficiently bushy beard can hide a multitude of chins.

(Accept the word of one who knows.)

7. Chuunen Baka
    Windows

Age thing

In my day young men grew beards to appear more mature. Later they shaved them off to look less old.I suspect a lot of today's 20-somethings will be shaving them off as soon as the first grey hair appears.

I have no idea if any of that correlates with sexism.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Age thing

Ha! I'm waiting for the last hair to turn grey! I might even look as old as my dad...

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Not a grey hair on my head! Mine's all turning silver. So nyah.

;)

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I don't have much gray hair either.

But then again, I don't have much hair on the head. Plenty elsewhere.

8. Stevie

Bah!

That's sexy!

9. Jimbo 6
    Flame

Beard or no beard...

...anyone who ties their jumper around their neck, like the bloke in the photo, is an utter twunt.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Beard or no beard...

> is an utter twunt.

On the other hand the wife seems to like me with a jumper draped around my shoulders. Since there appears to be a correlation between wearing a jumper draped over my shoulders and and the likelihood of expressions of physical affection. All I can say is that I'm happy to look like a twunt in return for the rewards it seems to bring.

The bloke in the photo does indeed look like a twunt, what ever that might be.

2. Tom 7

Re: Beard or no beard...

When out on some of my many walks I am accompanied by a jumper. When I get hot I have to wear it around my neck - if the arms were long enough to tie round my waist I would look like a complete and utter twunt while wearing it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about women with beards?

"What about women with beards?"

Funnily it turns out that they are less sexist than women without beards!

11. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Back-to-front logic

Consequently, men in different cultures and traditions cease shaving

This supposes that shaving is the natural order. It isn't: growing a beard is natural; shaving is an act of denial of this. Shaving arose originally, as far as I know, as a symbol of status.

If I let my beard grow, do I am become more sexist?

1. BurnT'offering

Re: do I am become more sexist?

Depends on your baseline. If you start at 100%, no

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Back-to-front logic

>If I let my beard grow, do I am become more sexist?

It might improve your coherence.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Back-to-front logic

If I let my beard grow, do I am become more sexist?

It might improve your coherence.

hah! fat chance of that. "death to sense!" as Herbert Prefabs would say.

12. Unep Eurobats
    Angel

"may — or may not"

Reminds me of the philosophers Vroomfondel and Majikthise talking to Deep Thought in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

13. Kubla Cant

The last few years have seen an explosion in beardedness*. It's hard to believe that we're all becoming commensurately more sexist.

* I get the impression that it isn't very age-specific. Younger guys grow a beard to look cool. Old geezers like me grow them because they're tired of shaving, and in a probably futile attempt to conceal facial shortcomings.

14. Efros

My Beard

Reached its 28th birthday last year, last time I shaved it off was due to a visit to a very, very hot climate and it seemed prudent to do so. Currently I would be a good approximation to Gimli in terms of beard, height wise I would have to be chopped off at the knees to complete the look.

On the article it strikes me that the current fashion for beards would pretty much destroy any data concerning sexism and beards. I do know that there is a fair amount of pogonophobia out there and it would be interesting to see whether that shows a gender trait, however, the current prevalence of beardies may nullify any conclusions that are made with current data.

15. Halcin

Misandry

It would seem that the researchers are suffering from confirmation bias: Only men are the perpetrators of sexism and only women are the victims. As that is an assumption based on gender; it is, by definition, sexist.

When are they going to publish research about the sexist attitudes of women? Or research of sexist attitudes towards men?

P.S. before you down-vote, how many of you knew of the word "misandry" before you googled it? My spell checker does not recognise the word, but it has no problem with misogyny.

1. 's water music

Re: Misandry

A Misanthrope Writes...

Down-voted for assumptions about vocabulary.

2. John Bailey

"P.S. before you down-vote, how many of you knew of the word "misandry" before you googled it?"

I did. so no need to google it.

Still downvoted you though for being so pathetic.

"My spell checker does not recognise the word, but it has no problem with misogyny."

Nor it seems do you.

Sorry kid. But nobody cares that she laughed when you showed her your little winky. Even though your mummy called you her big boy.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Misandry is a fairly well known word and is misused to mean something the speaker dislikes just as often as equivalent words such as commie, fascist or misogynist.

For an example see above. These researchers are a lot of negative things but there's no clear evidence of misandry.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Misandry: any correlation with hair shortness in women?

Are women with short spiky hair (possibly dyed purple) likelier to be misandrist?

(And yes, I was already familiar with the term.)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This study is not impartial.

Dr Hellmer

Dr Hellmer clearly has facial hair.

17. disgruntled yank

Impressive

a. Unless they had one hell of a research grant, presumably they did their research from Australia, not the US or India.

b. So unless they used Skype, FaceTime, or the like, they took the men's word for beard quality.

c. On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog: how do they know that these were even men?

d. My experience of telephone polls is that I answer them with a fraction of my attention.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Impressive

Unless they included the attitudes of bearded men who hang off the back of Toyota pick-up trucks waving small arms, their research is not complete.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real question is...

Are people who design and conduct surveys asking if bearded men are more sexist, more sexist?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So they managed to prove

If you assume something is a sexist response, you get a sexist response.

Something ironic about man haters trying to drum up women hate.

20. The Alphabet

I wonder how this survey would appear as if it was exclusively LGBT or other more specific factors (country, race etc).

21. sabroni Silver badge

I have a beard and don't consider myself sexist.

So this "research" must be bollocks.

Also, "Women seek to gain power by getting control over men." is just the truth! FACTS can't be sexist either!!!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about that woman who won Eurovision a while back

Did anybody ask her what she thinks?

23. MonkeyCee

Beard goodness

I'm very much of the "hate shaving" camp. So I don't so much grow a beard as not shave it, and it's what happens. No-one asks if I'm growing the grass, they just assume I'm a lazy fucker who doesn't want to mow his lawn. Same theory for beard. Actually, same for long hair....

After 10+ years of shaving between once and four times a day (or being asked if I was sporting designer stubble) it's just a hell of a lot less faff. Plus beard is a lot nicer on skin of those who get close enough. The looking less baby faced helps too.

24. NotMyRealName

It all depends....

My straw poll of 4 female colleagues suggests that women couldn't care less whether a man has a beard and that it doesn't signify anything with regard to sexism. However, there was one important caveat: if they had felt inclined to get up close and personal with aforesaid man, 3 out of the 4 would care: there's a thing called 'beard burn'.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sometimes I'm just lazy

and sometimes vain, and I spend about half the time clean-shaven and half bearded (same for long hair/short hair). Currently the beard is longer than it's ever been, and I'm starting to tug it. And think: 'By my beard!' I just watched The Hobbit trilogy again and felt a kinship to the Dwarfs. I keep thinking it's time to shave it off again, and look young again; but I'm getting into it!

And I freely admit to being sexist! I love women! They're much more fun.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Sometimes I'm just lazy

"I spend about half the time clean-shaven and half bearded"

You could try both at the same time. Just shave one side...

26. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I don't like to generalise but I think surveys with questions like those quoted will be biased to people who tend to generalise.

27. Nolveys

More Research To Be Done

These studies say nothing of women's decisions to shave legs and pits. And what of our good friends back hair and male pattern baldness? Do the gorgeous locks growing from my butt speak to a subconscious hatred of women?

1. frank ly

Re: More Research To Be Done

"Do the gorgeous locks growing from my butt speak to a subconscious hatred of women?"

Depends if you trim them into a goatsee shape.

28. x 7

I've been clean shaven for 30 years. And just to prove I'm not sexist I get my bollocks waxed at regular intervals. The girls I know seem to prefer it: they say its less irritating to their noses. Less smelly I guess....

29. dubscabar
    Childcatcher

But wait I have a beard...

I have a beard and I most certainly do not have a negative attitude about women. I dislike everyone equally the same, Men, Women, Democrats, Republicans, and their children. We are so busy being offended while equally offending others to the same and in most cases greater degree that we cant get a thing done in this once Great Nation and No way in Hell Trump could either. In fact no one currently hurling insults at the other in this great political season has a snowballs chance in hell of cleaning up the mess that Bush 2 made and Obama has most definitely made Worse.

30. Jeffrey Nonken

Beard? Check.

Misogyny? Hmmm. Ask the wife. Here, let me unchain her for you.

...Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm in the "too lazy to shave" and "sensitive skin" camps. Which is ironic since these days I sport a goatee, which requires constant maintenance.

Then again, you can't draw a curve from one point. Maybe I'm a statistical outlier, like the other dozen or so men in this forum making the same claims.

Or maybe I'm just lying or fooling myself and I really do hate women. I could claim not to be racist either, and which of you would know?

So I haven't proven anything by posting here. Never mind. Back to work for me!

"Misogyny? Hmmm. Ask the wife. Here, let me unchain her for you."

Unchain? Bloody liberal you are!

31. Sam_B.

It would be interesting to try this survey in the UK where beards tend to be associated with Old Lefties or young Hipsters.

1. Red Bren

@Sam_B

I was thinking the same thing (while scratching my beard)

Have an upvote!

32. Sam_B.

It would be interesting to try this survey in the UK where according to the media, beards tend to be associated with Old Lefties or young Hipsters.

1. Red Bren

@Sam_B

Now you're getting repetitive. Have a downvote!

33. Pompous Git Silver badge

The Git has a beard and is mightily discriminatory in the sex department. To wit, he's never going to shag a beardless boy to demonstrate his sensitive and caring undiscriminatory sexuality for some stupid feminazi! Real men discriminate mightily. And cook their wives gourmet meals, vacuum the carpet, hang out the washing etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like