back to article House passes broadband bill despite promise of White House veto

The House of Representatives has passed a bill that it claims will prevent federal regulators from setting broadband prices, but critics say it's little more than an effort to undermine net neutrality regulations. During a sometimes heated discussion in Congress on Friday, representatives voted 241-173 to pass HR 2666 – the No …

1. Notas Badoff

A quibble

"The fight represents just the latest in a running battle between net neutrality advocates and the powerful telco lobby, which have predictably fallen along partisan patronage lines."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A quibble

American Democrats aligned with their deep-pocket rich contributors to create a "net neutrality" rule, which effectively allows big bandwidth hogs who don't need Quality of Service to suck up the internet capacity, leaving little start-ups with Quality of Service requirements out-to-lunch.

No longer, is it legal, for start-ups with Quality of Service requirements to go to providers and get better Quality of Service (i.e. IP Telephone, Robotic Surgery, Internet Video Conferencing, etc.) - but now bandwidth hogs (i.e. long playing video) can be allowed to step all over those small start-ups without ever having to pay for the backbone usage that they are using, which also means fat-cat donors no longer have to pay for Computer Science employees to promote the advancement in video compression technology since there is no longer a market for making the use of bandwidth more efficient.

Who will pay for it? It won't be the fat-cat corporations, lining the pockets of the Democrats, but the lowly consumer who will see crappy performance for their applications requiring better quality of service (i.e. VoIP, Video, etc.)

As always, the American Democrats always give their campaign donors first preference, screwing the little guy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A quibble

@AC Given the arguments made in your comment, your post demonstrates lack of understanding of the networking standards, how the Internet works, what Net Neutrality entails on the technical side, and the effects on the “little guy”. Matter of fact, the effects of Net Neutrality on the “little guy” are contrary to the point you are trying to make. Go on and bash the “American Democrats” if you will, but leave the comments regarding the technical details and their implications to the professionals. Just saying.

2. Bob Dole (tm)

Oh, GOP establishment....

There's a reason Trump has done so well in the republican primaries. Namely - we don't want any more of the establishment idiots. The American public is truly done with their BS.

1. Mephistro
      Devil

Re: Oh, GOP establishment....

"...we don't want any more of the establishment idiots."

If your solution is to vote for an idiot outsider, you have my total support!*

* Because I live in a different continent. ;-)

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Because I live in a different continent.

And how exactly it will help you if you have said idiot in control of Minuteman missiles?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

...also there may be some remote tribe of underwater pygmies somewhere who didn't end up paying for the US's sub-prime mortgages; but everybody else sure did. Being on another continent is no guarantee of safety from American idiocy.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Depends on which continent you're on exactly. Australia should be relatively safe from Minuteman missiles, for example.

(Go ahead, tell us about the Tridents.)

2. Mephistro

***COUGH***sarcasm***COUGH***

;-)

2. veti Silver badge

So how many Congresscritters and Senators are you going to vote out this year?

Hint: in 2014, 95% of incumbents standing for re-election to both Congress and the Senate - were re-elected.

3. Someone Else Silver badge
    FAIL

YAN...

Yet another anti-competitive, anti-consumer bill from the party that has raised anti-competitive, anti-consumer legislation to a high art.

4. kain preacher

So does congress intend to do their job and vote on the Supreme court nominee or just continue with bullshit bills.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I see you are under the delusion that if the roles were reversed, there was a Republican in the White House the Democrats controlled Congress, that the Democrats would vote for a Supreme Court Nominee that a Republican picked....

yea right....

1. Mephistro
        Unhappy

(@ AC)

"I see you are under the delusion..."

I reckon most people here are under the delusion that both parties should elect an independent nominee without any ties with Democrats or Republicans, to stop this impasse.

And I agree it's probably a delusion, as most of such candidates left or were removed from the judiciary in an early stage of their careers, and the Establishment would rather leave the things as they are now, instead of freeing such a dangerous beast among their flock.

2. kain preacher

When has the Democrats ever shut down the gov ? When have the Democrats ever help up a nominee? When have the Democrats ever said they were going to work to make a president one term ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Typical

Don't answer the question, just redirect with more questions....

1. kain preacher

Re: Typical

Ok Simple the Democrats have not done what the republicans have done. You are saying that the Democrats will do what the repubs had done, when they have never .

5. Daggerchild Silver badge

Best yet!

A boulder the size of a house crashes down a few meters from the spectating crowd..

"WOOWW! Here, Bob, get a shot of me standing beside this thing!"

"I dunno Joe, isn't this getting a little .. dangerous?"

6. Richard Jones 1
    Happy

I Spy A Serious Spelling Error

Sorry the House of Representatives, surely that is the House of Repressives?

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"alleviate the threat that the FCC.. will limit provider pricing flexibility"

Translation.

"It will stop the FCC setting WTF we want conditions on whoever we choose whenever we choose to do so."

Just a reminder.

The default personality type of all corporate cultures is "sociopath."

Sociopaths hate all restrictions on their behavior.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "alleviate the threat that the FCC.. will limit provider pricing flexibility"

John Smith 19,

I so agree.

Wish I could 'nail' the up-vote button down on this one. :)

8. Mitoo Bobsworth

To quota a David Bowie song ...

' I'm afraid of americans '

9. Mikel

Congressional Idiocy

You furriners have to understand: the US Congress is populated almost entirely by people who were crazy and/or dumb enough to run for Congress. And elected by a constituency of people generally distrustful of people smarter than themselves - which is a low bar to Limbo under.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Congressional Idiocy

It's all right - I imagine most of us know enough Americans to distinguish between them and their increasingly dysfunctional political system.

It's not as if we don't have to make the same distinction here in the UK.

2. slack

It's a low bar to Limbaugh under...

3. Someone Else Silver badge
      Coat

You furriners have to understand: the US Congress is populated almost entirely by people who were crazy and/or dumb enough to run for Congress. And elected by a constituency of people generally distrustful of people smarter than themselves - which is a low bar to LimboLimbaugh under.

There, FTFY

Damn! slack beat me to it!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like