back to article Czech Republic to rebrand

The Czech Republic will henceforth be known as "Czechia", if the rebrand agreed by government leaders yesterday wins parliamentary approval. The move will result in massive thread savings for sports goods manufacturers, according to the BBC, because they'll no longer be obliged to spell out "Czech Republic" on shirts and the …

1. Kurt Meyer
    Coat

Might be true, might be just a rumour.

I'll have to Czech it out.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does anyone care?

Inside or outside the Czech Republic?

3. Cheesenough
    Headmaster

Will the Czechs change their name to Czechians?

Australia -> Australian

Austria -> Austrian

Liberia-> Liberian

Bolivia -> Bolivian

Czechia -> Czech?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will the Czechs change their name to Czechians?

France -> French(man)?

England -> English(man)?

Ireland -> Irish(man)?

Scotland -> Scot?

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Poland -> Poles

Holland -> ?

yuk, yuk, yuk....

1. Ben Boyle
          Trollface

@chivo243 - Hollandaise?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Holland -> ?

Holland is not a country, just an area of the Netherlands, bit like saying the country of Wales.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

country of Wales.

I like the country of Wales, particularly the hilly bits.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> Holland is not a country, just an area of the Netherlands, bit like saying the country of Wales.

Both of those are countries by a number of definitions. What for the time being they are not is nation-states.

Neither is "Czechia" by the way, which is just an obscure translation of Čechy, based on the old Polish spelling, of what in English is known as Bohemia, that being the left half and a bit of the country (as you look at the map so that the letters are the right way up), the remainder consisting of Moravia and the tiny bit of Silesia that spilled over from Poland for some reason.

One reason it was called Czech Republic back in 1993 was precisely that it was thought it would be carrying Bohemian (esp. Prague) pretentiousness a bit too far if it were to be called Česko (i.e., Bohemia), and on the other hand Bohemian-Moravian-Silesian Republic was a bit of a mouthful.

The previous name, Czechoslovakia sort of worked better insofar as it named the extreme points so everything in between was sort of implied. After the split the Slovaks had it easier--if they wanted to be historically accurate they could have called themselves the Western Hungarian Farmlands but they were not too hot on that one.

As for the saving thread argument, everyone spells the name ČR (in Czech) or CZ (in English) in all but the most formal situations so that doesn't hold much water, I'm afraid.

My theory is that the name change is an attempt at getting free publicity, Michael O'Leary style.

For a proper introduction to Czech history and culture, those with a reasonable command of Western Slavic languages and the Latin alphabet may refer to this encyclopædia entry (no, not that one).

1. PhilBuk

Wales is not a country, it's a principality.

Phil.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I used to live in Holland, Zuid-Holland to be precise. So when I said I "lived in Holland", I was being accurate.

Curiously, in Danish, the official word for The Netherlands is in fact Holland. So there you go.

The Netherlands -- Kloggies

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Preston Munchensonton

New Zealand -> Kiwi

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
            Devil

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - erm... Englishman?

Other than British person, the only mention of British in naming I can think of is "Britischer schwein! Achtung! Spitfire!" And I don't think that's ever appeared outside a speech bubble...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Micha

If you have to drag the WW's into this (*), at least get it right. It's "Britisches Schwein!".

(*) Yes, I'm aware of Godwin's Law.

2. PNGuinn
              Go

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - erm... Englishman?"

Brit?

Canadian - Canuk

Australia - Aussie

England - Barmy Army

Scotland - Northern Savage, Glaswegian ...

Irish - Paddy

Welsh - Taffy

USofAAA - Septic

Mexico - Ask D Trump Esq

DISCLAIMER -- Any offence caused by this post is deliberate and justified on the grounds of satire - or something.

2. Fungus Bob

United States of America -> Pubic Wig er... Merkin

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> New Zealand -> Kiwi

I think you misspelt it:

New Zealand -> "Annoying git who keeps whanging on about the Rugby World Cup"..

3. P. Lee
        Coat

>Scotland -> Scotch

2. theModge

Part of their concern is sounding too much like Chechen's.

...Which apart from the practical difficulties might cause Russia to invade. again.

4. Magani
    Happy

Are we having a second April Fool's Day this year?

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

This is not rebranding

Чехия or when using latin alphabet Czechia is how all Slavic nations refer to it anyway and have referred to it even when it used to be Czechoslovakia (to the extreme displeasure of the Slovaks).

It is not rebranding. It is a restoration of a historic brand.

At least they are not restoring it to "Moravia" (as that would mean a war with the Slovaks and Southern Polish for the name).

1. theModge

Re: This is not rebranding

Upvoted for being informative...

2. Yeti
      FAIL

Morava (Moravia) is unfortunately part of the Czech Republic, along with Čechy (Bohemia) and part of Slezsko (Silesia).

I, for one, as Moravian, hate the new moniker.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Yeti

> I, for one, as Moravian,

Well, with that moniker it was clear you're not a Falklander.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I, for one, as Moravian, hate the new moniker - and welcome our new Czechian overlords?

3. kventin
      FAIL

oh boy.

a Slovak here. your post is tad bit, how to say it, economical with facts.

"""Чехия or when using latin alphabet Czechia is how all Slavic nations refer to it anyway and have referred to it even when it used to be Czechoslovakia (to the extreme displeasure of the Slovaks).""""

first, about the displeasure. Czechoslovakia was quite a mouthful, so it was inevitable some shortening would happen. only, having been shortened out of the country does lead to some "displeasure". the feeling was similar to Ukrainians objecting to being called "Russian" (because "they come from ussr, i.e. russia, right?") or Welshmen objecting to being called English, only more so.

now, to that cute russia-centric view of slavic nations of yours (you _are_ Russian, aren't you?)

a short look to https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Czechia gives us:

east slavic >>>

russian Че́хия

ukrainian Че́хія

belarussian Čechija (or when using cyrillic Чэхія)

rusyn Че́сько

south slavic >>>

bulgarian Чехия

macedonian Чешка

serb Чешка (or when using latin alphabet Češka)

croatian Češka

slovenian Češka

west slavic >>>

lower sorbian Česka

upper sorbian Čěska

kaszubian Czeskô

polish Czechy

czech Čechy, Česko

slovak Česko (but sometimes also Čechy)

silesian Czesko

(i left some slavic languages where i was unable to find a translation)

so, you see, not "all". not even "most".

however, there is a grain of truth in what you wrote about "restoration of a historic brand".

vide https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lands_of_the_Bohemian_Crown

even today some people distinguish in Czech between "Čechy" (the Bohemia, or "land of Czech people" proper -- i.e. without Moravia and Silesia) and "Česko" (the whole country), the latter being derived from the adjective in "Země Koruny české" (Lands of the Czech Crown). others use the two terms interchangeably.

hence: Czech is grammatically adjective (for historical reason), the whole storm in a tea cup is about what should its appropriate noun be.

lastly, re

"""At least they are not restoring it to "Moravia" (as that would mean a war with the Slovaks and Southern Polish for the name)."""

I have honestly no idea what could you mean about Southern Polish (or even which Southern Polish).

As far as Slovaks go, we consider Czech to be our brother-nation: we may bicker and tease one another, but in a friendly way (an occasional ice hockey match being a notable exception).

We simply don't wage wars with our brothers over perceived historical grievances.

For God's sake, we're more civilised than that!

1. Bronek Kozicki
        Pint

@kventin, have one on me. Last time I tried, Kozel was pretty good ->

2. To Mars in Man Bras!
        Headmaster

*"...having been shortened out of the country does lead to some "displeasure". the feeling was similar to Ukrainians objecting to being called "Russian"..."*

And how most Welsh, Irish and Scots [those of a Loyalist bent, anyway*] feel about the fact that most of the rest of Europe [including the eastern half] tends to refer to Britain as "England"

[*Those of a Republican bent get even madder; seeing themselves as neither British NOR English!]

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> We simply don't wage wars with our brothers over perceived historical grievances.

Where's the fun in that? After all, the English wars with the Scots, Welsh, Irish, French, Dutch, Germans, French, Spanish, French, Scots (in fact - everyone in Europe other than the Portugese as far as I can see) did nicely the job of keeping the landed elites in power, distracted the proles from being too uppity and generally preserved the status-quo for those at the top.

What's not to like?

OK - so, there might have been a slight issue about huge amounts of suffering, misery, deprivation and death concerned but that didn't affect the generals or monarchs so that all OK.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I once asked a Czech colleague about the Czech-Slovak relationship.

His story, was thus ...

Remember during the cold war, when we had the fence with motion activated machine guns ready to repel the evil capitalist invaders from the West? Well, now we pulled it down and it and it defends us from the Slovaks. ;)

4. Sweep

All Slavic nations? Erm, no- it's not even how the Czechs themselves refer to it....

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Чехия or when using latin alphabet Czechia

What's the point of using Cyrillic here, when it was never used for Czech or for that matter any other Western Slavic language (or more appropriately, Western Christianity lands, as opposed to the Orthodox church)?

Historic brand my arse, that's like claiming that referring to the whole of Britain as England is "restoring an historic brand" because that's what the French and the Spaniards call it.

> At least they are not restoring it to "Moravia" (as that would mean a war with the Slovaks and Southern Polish for the name).

Pardon?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There is no point of using Cyrillic except for, I don't know, Russian cultural imperialism claiming to speak for "all slavic nations" while actually being a bully? At least that's how it feels to those born outside of Russia and under its political influence. And having Cyrillic and Orthodox pushed onto ones culture, despite being quite comfortable with Latin culture. AC because I know this may be controversial, but that's how it feels. Also in Czech(ia).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about

Czechzilla ?

Happy

Re: How about

And Czechzuki...

7. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Headmaster

Where are the instructions?

So is that Chechia with a ch (chech-ee-a) or ck (check-ee-a) sound? Perhaps it should be more like Hungary... Chechy... or Checky.

I do hope it doesn't affect the beer.

1. Darryl

Re: Where are the instructions?

Your post reminded me of Yello's 'Oh Yeah' (Made popular by Ferris Bueller)

2. To Mars in Man Bras!
      Pint

*'...I do hope it doesn't affect the beer..."*

Pfft! –Very over-rated. Been there. Done that. Had the obligatory pint or three at the Staropramen brewery and tried a few other local beers. Not impressed. It was nice enough. But, at the end of the day, it's just boring lager.

Of course, much of the reputatiuon Czech beer has comes from folks making comparisons between 'real' Budvar Budweiser and the American fizzy piss of similar name. But that's not exactly setting the bar very high, is it? A glass of *actual* piss would be a better brew than most American beers.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

There is a very large variety of beer available in the region. Staropramen could very well be considered a "factory beer" and isn't all that special. The local beers kan be a bit hit and miss. Some are great some are boring and some are aweful. Personally I rather enjoyed both the Kozel and Kozel Černý. Best beer I had was freshly brewed at a local "castle" brewery somewhere in Bohemia.

Tip of the day: Never try to out drink a Czech. Even if they are bombing their beer with their own homebrew moonshine. They'll drink you under the table. And then some. Been there, done that, got the hangover that lasted 2 days to prove it. 'T was a good night though.

8. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Joke

when asked who would pay for the rebranding efforts,

government leaders shrugged and said, "The Czech's in the mail..."

9. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

kidding aside

Is the CH in Czechia pronounced as a "K" like "Check-ee-ah" or as in "CHocolate"? If the latter, that could lead to folks confusing Czechia with Chechnya. Some of my fellow Yanks already don't realize these are two separate countries a couple thousand miles apart...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: kidding aside

Some yanks confuse Austria and Australia... there's no helping some people

Happy

You soon learn. After you've skied into your third kangaroo...

1. Commswonk

You soon learn. After you've skied into your third kangaroo...

Got to be post of the week that one. Oh for the opportunity to award bonus upvotes.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"You soon learn. After you've skied into your third kangaroo..."

Sir, you are a swine! You owe me for a new keyboard!

Cash only please, no Czechs.

2. Darryl

Some Yanks confuse Mexico and New Mexico

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Some Yanks confuse Mexico and New Mexico

Too true. New Mexico magazine runs a column named "One of our States is Missing", documenting such errors. Some people manage, despite widespread literacy and pervasive infotainment, to be monumentally ignorant.

3. e^iπ+1=0

"confuse Austria and Australia"

Switzerland and Sweden is also common - not just with North Americans.

4. jonathanb Silver badge

Also Slovakia and Slovenia.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Also Slovakia and Slovenia.

... or in Czech: Slovensko & Slovinsko.

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> Some yanks confuse Austria and Australia... there's no helping some people

Some even confuse England and Scotland!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While not familiar with the Czech language in general, I did hear the name of the country pronounced by a native. I can't find a proper way to transliterate that into English because there's just no way to put an H as in Hello inside a word. That "ch" is just the best approximation for the "H" (Hello) sound they use because they have to live with the "K" sound in English. At least they might have a laugh, as Cz is "Ch" (Chicken) isn't a combination used anywhere in the English language either.

The spelling that would kinda work in English is "Checkya" (Check ya later aligator). Now I wonder how the Spanish-speaking people will read it :) I wonder how they're reading it already, actually, as the confusing part was already there.

1. kventin
        Coat

"""I can't find a proper way to transliterate that into English because there's just no way to put an H as in Hello inside a word. That "ch" is just the best approximation for the "H" (Hello) sound they use because they have to live with the "K" sound in English."""

were you to visit northern parts of UK someday, locals could give you some pointers about transliterating of that sound. they might even insist on using 'c' and 'h' characters.

2. Ian Mason

<cite> At least they might have a laugh, as Cz is "Ch" (Chicken) isn't a combination used anywhere in the English language either. </cite>

It gets more confusing as it's one of those orthographies then seems to change as it moves around Central Europe. I used to have a colleague called Jan Czmok, pronounced Yan Schmock.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Is the CH in Czechia pronounced as a "K" like "Check-ee-ah" or as in "CHocolate"?

Neither. It is pronounced /x/ as in "loch". Go figure.

10. disgruntled yank

Interesting

Now perhaps the Moravians can sound like American college students and say "Czechia Privilege!"

11. TRT Silver badge

Just don't sneeze...

when calling an automated bot thingy.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought it was called Czechoslovakia anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I thought it was called Czechoslovakia anyway.

That's what Austrians¹ call it to this day.

¹ That's the poor version of Bavarians, not the penal colony. Even though both have kangaroos.

13. find users who cut cat tail

Great. Apparently too few people confuse it with Chechnya presently and this cannot continue...

14. find users who cut cat tail
    Coat

Republic

Considering recent developments, the real reason for removing `Republic' from the name is probably that it is the first step to proclaiming Zeman (the current president) the king...

15. strum

Cze - cze - cze - czaaaanges!

16. Someone Else Silver badge
    Pint

OK...fine.

Now...how do you pronounce it?

(Beer, because my first couple of tries sounded like I had had a few...)

17. Mark 85

Ah.. Marketing buzzwords strike again...

Once upon a time, it was 're-naming' or 're-defining" a country... now it's "rebranding".... Which to me, implies using a red-hot rod with a logo and leaving an imprint on someone's backside.

1. kventin

Re: Ah.. Marketing buzzwords strike again...

"""Which to me, implies using a red-hot rod with a logo and leaving an imprint on someone's backside."""

Kinky.

Will sir wish a sidedish of sweaty cowboys with that?

1. Mark 85

Cowgirls, maybe :) and leave the branding iron in the fire.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Once upon a time, it was 're-naming' or 're-defining" a country... now it's "rebranding"

Well, it *is* a marketing exercise. The actual, official name of the country is not changing, regardless of what you may or may not read on vaguely IT-related blogs. It is just the name that they plan to use for tourism brochures and the like.

18. x 7

easy way to solve the problem. Just reincorporate the Austro-Hungarian empire as a new republic occupying all the historic lands. Then the problem goes away

1. bep

Fitba reference

Austria are playing Hungary in the first round of the European Championships - Mitteleuropa derby!

Seriously though, this whole thread just goes to show the Common Market was such a good idea.

19. Uxwolf

It,s Canuck

20. To Mars in Man Bras!
    Angel

Příští Stanice, IP Pavlova*.

*"...There's already a tendency to use "Czech" as an abbreviated form of the nation's full-fat title, but that's an adjective and therefore grammatically offside..."

Having tried vainly to master a few Czech phrases for a visit there once, I sincerely doubt that the language's grammar plays by the off-side rule.

...or many other rules, for that matter.

[*Post title being about the only one I can remember. Mainly because it was my signal to get off the tram]

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Příští Stanice, IP Pavlova*.

> ...or many other rules, for that matter.

Czech is a bit like Ethernet: it works better in practice than in theory. It's not that complex once you've thrown out the grammar book and decided to go out there and use it.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Příští Stanice, IP Pavlova*.

In my limited experience Czech is definitely where you try to learn the rules AFTER you've played the game. Learning it as you go is probably a much easier way to understand it because the "rules" don't make any sense at first. (Or later for that matter)

21. Chris Hunt

Other names they considered

Artist formally known as Czech Republic

Czechers

Czechenture

Pragueburst

Conczechnia

I Can't Believe it's not Bohemia

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon