back to article Shareholder rage freezes Salesforce boss Marc Benioff's package

Mark Benioff won’t be getting a pay rise this year thanks to shareholder discontent over the “excessive compensation” of Salesforce management. The CRM-as-a-Service chief exec and co-founder will take home just $1.55m in Salesforce’s fiscal year 2017, exactly the same as last year. Benioff’s potential cash bonus has been …

1. Ketlan
    Devil

Bless...

'The chief executive’s package was down 16 per cent to $33.362m for Salesforce’s fiscal year 2016.'

Poor lamb.

'The company said it acted following “concerns regarding quantum of total CEO pay.”'

What the hell does that even mean? Why can't they use normal words like 'ridiculously excessive amount'?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: Bless...

Why can't they use normal words like 'ridiculously excessive amount'?

Dunno. A more pressing concern is why they're handing it to a fat balding, unshaven scruff with a mullet. Rather reminiscent of this ------------------------------------------------------------->

If somebody were offering me $33m to do not much I'd dress up smartly and hope I looked the part.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Bless...

Corporate buzzword bingo is the boardroom and marketing law. It's meant to obfuscate the strip mining of the company.

2. Scott 53

Larry's package

$1.547bn in other compensation? That's a hell of a lot of Luncheon Vouchers.

1. Dr_N

Re: Larry's package

Don't knock the luncheon vouchers.

A major perk in France.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Larry's package

Just standard business tools... such as use of the company yacht fleet.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Lets hope he sets up a Patreon account so we can send him a few bucks to get by.

4. cs94njw

Wow, he must pay loads of Tax!

... er... hello?... HELLO?...

5. chivo243 Silver badge

$31.739m in stock options, $30.352m in stock and $1.547bn in other types of compensation, producing a total compensation package of $63.639m

Why can't I do this math? If he got 1.5bn in other compensation how can the total package be ±$64m?

Maybe I just don't earn enough to worry about things like this?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably El Reg got billion and million mixed up.

31.739+30.352+1.547 = 63.638

7. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Unhappy

Nice work if you can get it…

Especially while Salesforce continues to lose money.

Still when it is bought (probably by Oracle if current rumours are anything to go by) then it'll speedball's around and time for the accountants in Delaware to earn their tax-free dollars by cooking up a leveraged deal with plenty of debt to offset any nasty capital gains.

And then there'll be even more celebrations as the synergistic pink slips get sent.

I wish I was joking. Where's the Morozov icon?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice work if you can get it…

I don't think Oracle has the scratch to put it together. Apparently MSFT offered Benioff like $60b a few years ago and MB said too low... so MSFT just decided to compete with him with Dynamics. Both are doing pretty well, at SAP and Oracle's loss. Oracle probably does need to do something in that CRM space. They have been losing share for years. They were the largest CRM vendor after they bought Siebel, now they will be 4th as MSFT blows past them this year. MSFT will probably over take SAP in a year or two as well.

8. Bill M

Just needs a Panamanian Solicitor with decent network security

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just needs a Panamanian Solicitor with decent network security

A creature of mythical nature such as unicorns, a government respecting voter privacy, or a DevOps-free El Reg :)

9. PaulAb

Dear Sales Force.....

The current incumbent clearly has lost the plot. Therefore, I would like to forward myself as your saviour.

I doubt I will increase sales either but will be extremely happy to carry out this loathsome job for less than current market rate.

I would also add, that for just a little more renumeration I could wear a suit and tie, and look like I am interested in the job.

Your faithfull servant

Head of IT

Mossack Fonseca

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like