back to article Texas Attorney General charged in 32-bit 'eco-friendly server scam'

The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has charged the CEO of Texas server manufacturer Servergy, one of its board members, and the state's Attorney General with fraud over claims of revolutionary low-powered computer hardware. The SEC alleges that between 2009 and 2013 Servergy's then-CEO William Mapp misled …

1. Florida1920
    Facepalm

God doesn't want me to take your money

Is it true, what some people say, that religious belief kills brain cells?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: God doesn't want me to take your money

"Is it true, what some people say, that religious belief kills brain cells?"

No, but it is true that scammers will say and do anything which they think will make their victims more likely to buy in. Hence Trump and Cruz, and many, many others.

In the US pretending to be religious scores lots of brownie points. Unfortunately since Blair it is creeping in over here with Cameron pulling out the God card from time to time. But it isn't belief.

1. Mike Moyle

@ Voyna i Mor:

Sure it is: "I believe this will help me get your money."

1. Ole Juul

I have a hard time imagining the culture in which someone could utter those words and not be looked upon as a religious extremist.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"I have a hard time imagining the culture in which someone could utter those words and not be looked upon as a religious extremist."

You did read the bit about East Texas, didn't you?

2. Richard Plinston

> religious belief kills brain cells?

Correlation does not imply causation, it may be the other way around.

3. Tom Samplonius

"Is it true, what some people say, that religious belief kills brain cells?"

Maybe not be so gullible? The quote was attributed to Mapp by Paxton, while both are under investigation for securities violations and both face large fines and other penalties?

Paxton is claiming he put no money into the company, and he received shares as a gift. The SEC claims the shares were an undisclosed payment to solicit other investors. Paxton is trying to claim that he had no idea what was going on at the company, and he just received a gift for supposedly godly reasons. The reality is, is he probably demanded the shares in exchange for sharing the exclusive investment opportunity with his circle of suckers.

2. Bluto Nash

Really?

"misled investors about the capabilities of the firm's Cleantech CTS-1000, saying it could deliver 80 per cent power savings against equivalent kit. One problem, however – it didn't even come close in reality."

Volkswagen? Is that you?

3. The_Idiot

Sigh....

"Caleb White has agreed to return the $66,000 and 20,000 shares of Servergy stock he was paid in commissions in exchange for charges being dropped."

Yes Your Honour. I did rob the bank. But I'll agree to return the loot in exchange for charges being dropped. Heck, the money's been in another bank earning interest - so don't worry. I'll still make a profit...

No.. I can't see a judge buying it either. At least, not for _ordinary_ folks... Of course, I'm an Idiot (blush).

There's an 'AG-ony and the ex-STASI' line going begging in here somewhere - but I can't make the STASI element fit, so I'll leave it out.

Oh. Oops... (Big Evil Grin).

1. frank ly

Re: Sigh....

Some Texans Are Such Imbeciles? (Avoiding the other 'I' word so as not to offend you.)

4. David Neil

Weird

Has he just been poked in the eye or something?

5. fredesmite

It just proves you don't have to be a gangster to steal money .. just be a MBA grifter with lawyers to hock your imagery product .

6. LorettaMorales

This is the way I feel about my Ares8 it says it takes a 16 gigabyte chip but only allows 8 gigs to be used and their selling these Ares8 Nextbooks as Experiments.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like