back to article Daily! Mail! eyes! up! Yahoo!'s news! arm!

The Daily Mail Group Trust (DMGT) confirmed on 11 April that is discussing a bid for Yahoo, one of a number of suitors to be eyeing up the troubled biz. In a statement the DMGT said: "Discussions are at a very early stage and that there is no certainty that any transaction will take place. We have no further comment at this …

1. TRT Silver badge

The similarities...

in the website design, i.e. a visual assault on the eye and ad content by the bucketload, would make this an obvious merger. Having said that, the DM is easier on the eye than the Guardian's redesign last year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The similarities...

"[..] the DM is easier on the eye than the Guardian's redesign last year."

The Daily Telegraph's new makeover is even more of an assault on the eyes. After a couple of days I gave up the masochism of looking at it. Their slide into DM news coverage meant I couldn't be bothered to set up FireFox to remove the formatting. So they can have the satisfaction that one more non-paying ad-blocking reader has left their thinning ranks.

1. TRT Silver badge

I tried looking there and it wouldn't let me in with an ad-blocker. So win-win!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The front page ad-blocker-blocker seems to appear on a random basis - not every time. Just clear the cookie and reload. ...and have your sun glasses ready if you don't want snow-blindness.

2. Warm Braw

The Mail is making a reasonably healthy profit

Ah, well, buying Yahoo! will soon sort that out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Mail is making a reasonably healthy profit

The Mail Online seems to be doing quite well by extending its reach to audiences further afield than the geographically-restricted lower-Middle-England-bigot market of its print siblings. It features clickbaity articles that appeal to- and regularly appear on- American sites such as Fark.com, and endless celebrity dross stories, half of them featuring Kim Kardashian.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It features clickbaity articles that appeal to- and regularly appear on- American sites [...]"

Most of the UK "broadsheet" online editions seem to attract a large number of overseas commentards - especially from the USA. They are usually being vitriolic in condemnation of articles supporting UK liberal attitudes regarding equality, sexuality, and religion.

1. TRT Silver badge

It doesn't seem to pay amazing journalists either. Just reuses the 10 most popular articles from everywhere else, hastily littering it with the funniest spelling errors in the process, probably to avoid the hilarious copyright laws that has the internet in turmoil.

2. O RLY

I can tell when an article in a UK paper's online edition has been linked in the Drudge Report simply by the comments that appear below.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Most of the UK "broadsheet" online editions seem to attract a large number of overseas commentards - especially from the USA.

What, like the Reg?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

Website no-one uses to be acquired by newspaper everyone hates

credit to NewsThump

http://newsthump.com/2016/04/11/website-no-one-uses-to-be-acquired-by-newspaper-everyone-hates/

1. Kane
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Website no-one uses to be acquired by newspaper everyone hates

Excellent, made my day!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never thought I'd actually be supportive of Alphabet taking over a company...

1. Rich 11

It's the exclamation marks that they're really desperate to acquire.

5. Rich 11

I can see the advertising now...

"Using Yahoo! prevents cancer"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can see the advertising now...

"... that was caused by cannabis."

6. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Whenever I see yahoo on a client computer, it means they've got a virus, or some malware at least. As far as I'm concerned yahoo is just a place to avoid, full of ads and its search results tend to include harmful stuff. For example, I just typed "microsoft support" into yahoo's google search bar and the first thing it comes up with is some site pretending to be microsoft.

1. Craig 2
      Mushroom

" I just typed "microsoft support" into yahoo's google search bar"

Burn that computer now, it's beyond saving!

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I wrote "Yahoo's google search bar" on purpose. Like "I googled it on yahoo", to emphasise, through the medium of wit, the irrelevance and redundancy of search engines other than google (OK, so it especially applies to Bing and Yahoo, both sites you can google from, but that give crap results)

1. TRT Silver badge

It's been a few years now...

since I Yahoo!ed Yahoo!

1. Steve Aubrey
            Mushroom

Re: It's been a few years now...

Oh, so that was what caused the universe to implode . . .

2. Kane
      WTF?

"yahoo's google search bar"

wut?

7. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Best commentar is as usually from the Mash

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/media/yahoo-feeling-a-bit-like-poland-in-1939-20160411107915

Well... having a couple of ex-daily mailers come up with the best commentary was not unexpected.

8. armyknife

Titles are for toffs

Damn, and there I was hoping the acquisition was the other way around. :-(

9. John Doe 12

How Does This Work?

How can you use one turd to polish another? Not one ounce of glitter between them to roll this combined piece of shit in ha ha! On a side note I see Yahoo mail have decided that when you empty your spam folder they substitute their own video spam in it's place - thanks a lot for that :-/

10. Florida1920
    Childcatcher

If all print media go online-only

what will they wrap the chips in? This is an urgent possibility that Vulture Central should tear into.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Re: If all print media go online-only

It'll make no difference, you haven't been allowed to wrap chips in newspaper for some years now, some sort of elf 'n savdee scam I suppose.

They even sell proper catering wrapping paper printed to look like newspaper to keep the traditionalists happy.

As far as I'm aware, the number of people who died as a result of chips wrapped in surplus newspaper is zero....... presumably that didn't stop some Whitehall supreme cuntbucket putting paid to the practice.

1. x 7

"As far as I'm aware, the number of people who died as a result of chips wrapped in surplus newspaper is zero"

You'd never know if someone did, as the toxicity effects would be long-lasting

Some printing inks cause liver and bladder cancers, but would develop so slowly that proving cause and effect would be difficult. The other toxic effects would be from lead dust, transferred from the traditional printing presses that were used prior to the 1980's

1. Dr Scrum Master

The other toxic effects would be from lead dust, transferred from the traditional printing presses that were used prior to the 1980's

So older newspaper readers are more likely to be a bit loopy? Or were there some unforeseen beneficial side effects?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"So older newspaper readers are more likely to be a bit loopy?"

A more significant source of lead pollution in air and food was the anti-knock additives in petrol (gas). These were being phased out in the USA from the1970s and were banned completely in the EU by the 1990s.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Perfect match.....

...both have comment sections full of racist, sexist, homophobic idiots who blame everyone else for their lack of achievement in life.

12. Elmer Phud

Never forget

the Daily Mail-o-matic

HAVE IMMIGRANTS DESTROYED COMMON SENSE AND DECENCY?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

13. x 7

Rumours from Fleet Street is that Ms Meyer is lined up to be the Daily Mails next Agony Aunt.

Can you imagine asking her about your intimate problems?

14. Floydian Slip
    Coffee/keyboard

Word of the day....

....Cuntbucket, TeeCee you owe me a new KB

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent.

Let's hope Yahoo takes the Daily Mail down with them.

16. paulf
    Trollface

Profitable?

Is DMGT's current ample profitability anything to do with being based in Bermuda and being owned by someone who is a UK Non-Dom for tax purposes?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like