back to article Florida weed suspect cuffed after hoverboard pursuit

A Florida drug suspect proved last weekend that so-called hoverboards are not an effective means of escape from law enforcement officials when he was cuffed following an unsuccessful attempt to evade arrest aboard the electric getaway vehicle. According to The Smoking Gun, 20-year-old Jerome Dennis was clocked by an officer at …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He may have had more luck setting fire to it and throwing it at the cop

1. Alistair

Considering the rep some of the cheaper ones have acquired, possibly he was hoping to make it catch fire.

Or, he'd just finished watching B2tF and thought it would work like that.

1. hplasm
        Flame

Go faster!

Or just burst into flames!! Go on!!! Oh, sod it...

<jumps off, runs> Lack of ---->

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did he also get done for riding it on the high way?

3. Annihilator
    Unhappy

Hoverboard

Never have I been so let down by a product description. Marty McFly wouldn't be caught dead on a swegway.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

Re: Hoverboard

When you hit something (Sorry did I leave my foot out!) and go flying you and the board are then sort of hovering

4. x 7

I suspect the dope simply gave him a reality transplant making him unable to judge his speed. Either that or the board's engine was coked up.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Well that's really going to make you paranoid.

There you are doing 50mph on a hoverboard and the cops are catching you on foot......

5. chivo243 Silver badge

iFixit has the answer

https://youtu.be/u1RPIwBWHHM

1. Malcolm Hall

Re: iFixit has the answer

The funny thing about that April Fools is an Australian company actually already is selling a fire proof bag, the Hovervault, a couple months back.

6. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Weed

Please Americans. and with due respect. you tried it with alcohol and all that happened was that the consumption rose and crooks got rich. Worst of all some European countries thought you to be clever and did the same, with the same result. Just give it up, it's stupid.

There is a hint here.

https://youtu.be/u1RPIwBWHHM

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Weed

Some states are appearing to take a less "serious" approach to weed.

Ok, selling, smoking it outside schools is a dumb idea. But the attitude seems to be "loosening".

Sadly, this attitude is unlikely ever to flourish here in the UK as, as far as May, Camoron etc are all concerned, drugs are bad, mkayy!!

I can smoke myself into an early grave, or drink myself in one, be married at 16, be a soldier and legally kill people at 18, vote at 18 but can I smoke a plant, a non processed one at that, no I cant.

The drugs war is a joke. Drugs policy is a bigger joke...

I can put whatever the fuck I want into MY body as long as it has no detrimental affect on anyone else.

Its about time the fucking idiots (fossils, dinosaurs) in Westminster accepted that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wish I had some! The back's playing up something awful (was gonna say 'chronic') despite excess opiates. Weed is as good if not better for pain. And there's one to add to your list. You can shovel down opiates, that are highly addictive, dull your senses, make you feel like crap afterwards, and you can overdose on. But smoke weed and the hypocrites-in-charge want to put you in the Workhouse.

2. Mark 85

More and more states are legalizing it. The catch is that via Presidential Order, the users/growers in those states can legally do this, unless the next President changes the Order. However, one can still not transport it across state lines even if the state you're going into has legalized it. The Feds still consider that a crime.

Somewhat of a tangled mess still, but the states who have legalized are seeing a drop in drug crimes and a huge increase in tax revenues as they tax the crap out of it... unless you have a medical pot card. The big worry is what will the next guy in the White House do?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

...so smoke up before crossing state lines. Got it.

2. Bucky 2

tax the crap out of it... unless you have a medical pot card

In California, it's only available by medical referral, and it's taxed that way, too.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

In Washington State, there is a tax (depending on municipal taxes, some places are as high as 40-45%) on recreational marijuana but no taxes if you have a medical card (as it is considered medication under state law).

3. Chris Parsons

The Economist would agree with you. It is only our enlightened 'leaders' who know better.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's legal or tolerated in some parts of the US, but much less so if you're intoxicated on a hoverboard.

7. L05ER

suspicion of posession...

Holy hell the burden of proof is alot lower than I thought.

Used to be you actually had to commit a crime to get arrested.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: suspicion of posession...

Think about it, you are always arrested for suspicion of whatever.

1. x 7

Re: suspicion of posession...

"Think about it, you are always arrested for suspicion of whatever."

suspicion of being black

suspicion of being a homo

suspicion of not being a freemason.....

8. Chris G

My Hoverboard is slowed by wheels

Having seen a few hoverboards trundling about at around 3KPH this guy's getaway attempt is a poor advert for the mind expanding properties of weed; must have expanded sideways instead of forward.

As an illustration of how little the cops like weed: When I lived in N. Cal in 2000, the local Sherrif spent $5.000.000 on a Helicopter IR equipment and a taskforce to monitor the patients that had licences to grow medical marijuana!

The plants were only allowed to grow enough to supply the individual with their year's worth of prescribed weed, any more and they would fall on the growers, destroy the plants and try their best to get 'criminals with MS imprisoned. If that's how they view sick people with a Government (State) sanctioned licence you can imagine how they view the rest of 'The goddam pinko hippies' who smoke the 'erb.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My Hoverboard is slowed by wheels

My hoverboard, it ees full of eels...

9. R0b07
    Joke

Didn't his dealer ever tell him............

Didn't his dealer ever tell him

"Don't take a hoverboard over Clearwater

Unless you've got power! (or diplomatic immunity)"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon