back to article Security bods disclose lock bypass bug in iOS

In a release that's bound to spark all sorts of speculation, Vulnerability Labs disclosed an iOS touch passcode bypass. Apple has pushed a fix on the server side, as noted at the end of this story. In late March, Johns Hopkins University's professor Matthew Green said a bypass existed, but withheld details pending Apple's …

1. RIBrsiq
    Holmes

If there's a bypass that will grant access to data without entering the passcode, then the encryption isn't as strong as it's claimed to be, is it?

Which makes sense: an operational phone would need access to a lot of decrypted data even while it's locked.

1. getHandle

I'm sure the encryption is plenty strong enough

I don't know about iOS specifically, but generally the first unlock after booting decrypts the disk encryption keys and loads them into memory where they stay until the device is shutdown again. Google "data at rest" vs "data in use".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Read the iOS security doc

It is 60 pages long but it is pretty easy to search for what you are looking for to find the details on this.

There are multiple encryption keys at use inside the iPhone, not just a single one. Everything in the device is encrypted by the device key, but as you say an operational phone needs access to a lot of data while running so the key for that is available to it even when locked. More sensitive information is encrypted a second time at the file level, if it has a protection class higher than "protection none". Those keys are inaccessible to the phone while locked.

Things like contacts and photos are protected by that iOS "protection none" data class, meaning there is not a second level of encryption. The reason for that is rather obvious - i.e. you receive text messages while the phone is locked, it needs to be able to correlate the phone number of an SMS message to a name if you have it configured the show the recipient's name. Likewise that means messages are in protection 'none' since it can be configured to show the message itself, and allow you to reply. Photos similarly need to be unprotected to support the option of allowing quick access to the camera from the lock screen.

There are probably more secure ways of doing this. If they kept all those things in an encrypted file class they could increase security and make such lock screen blunders a thing of the past. To wit, use a separate DB with just the number -> name mapping to support the option of showing who a text is from to allow keeping contacts in a protected file class. Use a separate DB of "messages received since phone was locked" that they could integrate into the proper message store when the phone is unlocked, then they could keep that main message store in a protected file class. Keep a separate DB of "photos taken since phone was locked", and they could similarly keep the main photos store in a protected file class.

I imagine they'll be taking a closer look at moving more things into a protected class to tighten the protections not only around lock screen issues like this, but also because the FBI case seems to have them riled up to redouble their efforts to make the iPhone as secure as possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Read the iOS security doc

Why does any of it need to be encrypted? If you're dumb enough to put important personal data on a fucking phone then you deserve what you get it you lose it and someone gets hold of that data.

1. d3vy

"Why does any of it need to be encrypted? If you're dumb enough to put important personal data on a fucking phone then you deserve what you get it you lose it and someone gets hold of that data."

Obvious troll is obvious.

Personally I don't really have anything sensitive on my phone, that doesn't mean that if I leave my phone lying somewhere that I'm happy with who ever happens to find it paging through my pictures/texts/emails.

Actually lets put your theory to the test - why don't you pull out your phones memory card, create an iso of it and shove it on paste bin..

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Obvious troll is obvious."

No, wasn't trolling. I'm tired of idiots putting their entire personal data on an easily nickable/losable device then crying like babies about their data when its lost. Teenagers doing it I can understand - they're naive by design. Adults have no excuse. If you have important data keep it securely at home or in the cloud and don't save your passwords on the device.

"Actually lets put your theory to the test - why don't you pull out your phones memory card, create an iso of it and shove it on paste bin.."

You'll get a few background pictures and nothing else. There's no emails (phone doesn't do them), all texts I delete and no contacts list since its mainly for emergencies, not day to day use.

1. d3vy

"You'll get a few background pictures and nothing else. There's no emails (phone doesn't do them), all texts I delete and no contacts list since its mainly for emergencies, not day to day use."

Well that explains why YOU dont need encryption... for everyone else that makes full use of their phones encryption is needed.

The problem here is thinking of them as phones, nowadays they are not phones - they are mini computers that allow you to make phone calls - I use mine to check emails etc throughout the day - nothing sensitive but nothing that is anyone elses business either.

2. Danny 14

'Why does any of it need to be encrypted? If you're dumb enough to put important personal data on a fucking phone then you deserve what you get it you lose it and someone gets hold of that data'

As opposed to what? An imac? Ipad? Laptop?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"As opposed to what?"

Online or a home server accessed via vpn.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"If there's a bypass that will grant access to data without entering the passcode, then the encryption isn't as strong as it's claimed to be, is it?"

There's a difference between the strength of encryption - algorithms & key lengths - and the effectiveness of its deployment.

The more directly a system is aimed at consumers the more likely it is that deployment will be tailored to the convenience of the user rather than the inconvenience of the attacker.

4. Velv
      Headmaster

"If there's a bypass that will grant access to data without entering the passcode, then the encryption isn't as strong as it's claimed to be, is it?"

Nothing wrong with the encryption. It's the authentication that is weak.

2. Noah Monsey

Every patch contains a list of bugs that are exploitable on a unpatched device.

Every patch set or new version of the operating system contains a list of the bugs that are fixed.

If the device / phone does not have the latest patch set, how hard is it to read the list of bugs and then find a bug that is exploitable on the device.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Every patch contains a list of bugs that are exploitable on a unpatched device.

That's the problem with disclosing the security content in an update. If you say "fixed a security bug" then you don't have any way of knowing if OS version x.y fixes the security hole you heard reprted last week. If you say "fixed security hole that allowed access to contacts from the lock screen if you have Twitter configured" that may provide enough information to let someone figure out how to exploit it.

You're screwed either way to some extent, so you have to choose your path. I think Apple prefers to err on the side of disclosure of fixed bugs, and rely on people installing updates in a timely manner. The problem is, blunders like the issues that affected some iOS 9.3 updates make people gun shy of installing patches quickly. I just don't understand how things like that aren't caught in beta, obviously the developers who do the bulk of the beta testing aren't using devices in the same way as end users.

If I was Apple I'd institute two changes. One, I'd release the security content details for a new OS a week after its release, rather than the day of its release. Two, I'd have a new OS roll out in stages. Users could change a setting to request 'early access' to new OS versions. If you configured that setting you'd have to install the new OS in a timely manner or you'd be dropped from the 'early access' group. That would be rolled out in stages, say 0.01% of all users on day one, 0.1% on day two, the remainder of the early access group on day four and everyone else on day six. If problems were found that were somehow missed by the beta stage, they'd be caught by the early access volunteers, hopefully quickly before very many were affected. The seven day waiting period for security content would allow everyone not in the early access group 48 hours to install it on day 6 or 7 before the security content was made public, possibly providing clues on exploiting bugs in older versions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Every patch contains a list of bugs that are exploitable on a unpatched device.

If I was Apple I'd institute two changes. One, I'd release the security content details for a new OS a week after its release, rather than the day of its release.

Ah, but people like me don't just install an update without knowing what's in it - it's one of the reasons I abandoned the Microsoft game. So you'd leave me exposed for a week..

As you said before, it's a bit of a balance, and there may be just that little bit of motivation behind knowing that your OS now has a problem to update as soon as possible (well, in my case I take the hit of a 24h exposure versus a patchy patch - again, a lesson learned from the use of Microsoft products).

1. Danny 14

Then again a lot of bugs are already being exploited in the wild. Look at the jailbreakers for example, a lot of the time the bugs are known about (so there are probably other people already exploiting)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC who won't install an update without knowing what is in it

So I guess you never install Microsoft security patches, at least those that say nothing about what is being fixed, just that it is security related?

If the update says what is in it, other than the security content which you know will be released on date X, you still wouldn't install it until date X? What do you gain by knowing (for instance, taken from iOS 9.3) "A USB device may be able to cause a denial of service" CVE-2016-1734? Do you decide not to install updates if you don't think the security fixes are important enough? Not sure I understand your reasoning, because even if details are provided it isn't like the details are enough for you to know "oh, I better not install that, it might break that USB device I have that relies on undocumented behavior to do X with my iPhone"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC who won't install an update without knowing what is in it

So I guess you never install Microsoft security patches, at least those that say nothing about what is being fixed, just that it is security related?

Hmm, which part of "it's one of the reasons I abandoned the Microsoft game" was unclear to you? Let me help you a bit: false flag updates. Updates that purport to be for security, but in reality sneak in stuff we absolutely don't want. If you think Win10 up-, sorry, downgrades are the only thing to sneak in via that channel you must be new to IT and to Microsoft's illustrious history.

To be fair, the most blatant example of that didn't come from Microsoft recently, but from Adobe when they updated the Acrobat Reader from version 11.0.1 to the "DC" version as a "security" update, but which also casually required you to accept new Terms & Conditions that made even Google's look benign (you basically agree to allow Adobe Reader to become a side loading channel for advertising). Needless to say, that went straight on the blacklist, so the few systems that have Acrobat Reader installed remain with v11.0.1, and we elevate the controls on its use to manage the resulting risk. We haven't quite finished evaluating if we need it at all, it is quite possible we even uninstall those last ones.

The latter also answers your question: yes, if we find something we don't like we will evaluate the risk of both upgrading or not upgrading. Apple has in that respect been rather straightforward - we have as yet not come across any creative side loading in either OSX or iOS.

The only pain is that their patches typically do the whole OS, so you always take a hit of between 2 (iOS) and 6GB (OSX) per patch and most of the times you'll face a reboot. Windows users are used to that, users of any Unix variant (in which I include OSX) not so much.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uses Siri?

Good job that it is the first thing I disabled when I got my new company iPhone then...

Then location services, BT and a host of other crap.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uses Siri?

Yes, it's still a bit of a list. Kill Siri, change the ad ID every so often and kill the frequent location tracker. Not because I don't like the idea of it, but because I don't feel I have control over what has access to it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blast from the past

Remember the days you could bypass a windows machine's login by clicking the title bar ?, telling winhelp to File/Open something, browsing to C:\WINDOWS and right click/running cmd.exe or explorer.exe?

If any of the snake people at Apple had been around in those days, perhaps they'd have been aware of lock screen bypass via applications mechanisms like this and been a bit more vigilant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blast from the past

You used to be able to do something very similar in OS X too, and get yourself a handy root shell.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apparently it is fixed

Apple are saying that the problem has been fixed by a change at the server forcing Siri to ask for the passcode if the device is locked.

Panic over people.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Apparently it is fixed

Not panicky, but bloody irritated as something like that just shouldn't be in need of fixing in the first place. Okay, shit happens and there will always be bugs, but this is like locking the front door and leaving the key under a flimsy doormat. In a bad neighbourhood.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Should they even be able to do that in a secure design?

What happens if you put it in airplane mode?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

go on try it, I dare you....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, don't panic, after all every interaction with your device is sent and processed somewhere else...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Every interaction using Siri is sent and processed somewhere else. As opposed to Google capturing everything you do with your device, to better sling ads at you.

4. HieronymusBloggs

"Apple are saying that the problem has been fixed"

You cannot be Sirious.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

You cannot be Sirious.

Echoes of John McEnroe there :)

6. nullnonce
    Coat

Yeah well, check yourself before ya wreck yourself

The spread of IoT may well be truly upon us, your a$$ might already be p0wned, your digital virginity bleeding in a back room in some airport... but no, you can't give up.

Stand up to Siri soldier- steel yourself!

Disable screen notifications, touchID, Bluetooth!

Harden that smartphone! Airplane mode at airports, no exceptions. It is an Internet device, not a toy! Data slurping by anonymous actors is going down everywhere.

7. nullnonce

It's an old hack, but a good hack!

The spread of IoT may well be truly upon us, your a$$ might already be p0wned, your digital virginity bleeding in a back room in some airport... but no, you can't give up.

Stand up to Siri soldier- steel yourself!

Only install trusted apps that you need. Avoid cloud-sharers and greedy apps that do not disclose what they do or demand access to private data.

Disable screen notifications, touchID, Bluetooth!

Harden that smartphone! Airplane mode at airports, no exceptions. It is an Internet device, not a toy! Data slurping by anonymous actors is going down everywhere.

1. IsJustabloke
      Facepalm

Re: It's an old hack, but a good hack!

putting aside your distasteful descriptions.... how's that tinfoil hat feeling?

8. TRT Silver badge

Hm... Thought I'd try that.

I can't get Siri when my phone's locked anyway. Am I doing something wrong? (or right?)

9. NikNakk

The article on full disclosure makes it clear that this only works on the iPhone 6S/6S plus since it relies on 3D Touch. Those of us with older hardware aren't affected. It's also worth noting that the phone the FBI were trying to access was an iPhone 5C.

10. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Server Side fix

Obvious question:

What about devices that are not connected to the network?

Area with no signal.

Thief has pulled the SIM card out.

Middle of the Pacific Ocean, or my colleague's office.

1. Danny 14

Re: Server Side fix

It needed siri so a connection was needed

11. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like