back to article Samsung kind of cracks the 10nm barrier with new 8GB DDR4 slabs

Samsung Electronics has announced it's started baking RAM using a “10-nanometer (nm) class*” process and says the 8GB chips it's emitting are the first in the world to be manufactured in this way. Don't start trying to figure out how 10nm compares to the width of a human hair or the head of a really small pin, because that …

1. PleebSmasher
    Dead Vulture

nothing new here, except mistakes

Samsung 128GB TSV DDR4 RDIMM was announced in November: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151125005775/en/Samsung-Starts-Mass-Producing-Industry%E2%80%99s-128-Gigabyte-DDR4

Perhaps this will result in cheaper 128 GB modules than when Samsung uses TSV, but it's not a new capacity point. And what's this?

"Samsung kind of cracks the 10nm barrier with new 8GB DDR4 slabs... Samsung's promising 10nm RAM in modules from 4GB to 128GB"

Maybe you meant 8 gigabit chips?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160404006492/en/Samsung-Starts-Mass-Producing-Industry%E2%80%99s-10-Nanometer-Class

"Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, announced today that it has begun mass producing the industry’s first 10-nanometer (nm) class* , 8-gigabit (Gb) DDR4 (double-data-rate-4) DRAM chips and the modules derived from them"

Yup.

2. Known Hero

Im not sure why this happened

But in my mind I can see Ram engineers practicing building ram, by building redstone circuits as compact as possible. The smaller the better.

I think I need to go have a cup of tea .....

1. Rol

Re: Im not sure why this happened

What's needed is a new block, one that uses all six sides as input/output nodes.

Right clicking on the block would put you inside a 64x64x64 cube where huge redstone circuitry can be laid down.to process the in and out signals to their relative faces.

By compacting the redstone this way, far more creative designs would be possible, without the hideous eyesores that complex redstone comes with.

I think I need to go have a cup of tea .... and leave the Irish coffee alone for a while.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Im not sure why this happened

Redstone? Is that a Minecraft thing?

3. TheProf
    Headmaster

Contracted auxiliaries

" there's 128GB modules on the way"

there is 128GB modules on the way?

Surely you mean 'There are 128GB modules on the way' or 'There're 128GB modules on the way'

I now English are a flexibility langwidge but, y'know, getting it rite aren't that hard.

1. Rol

Re: Contracted auxiliaries

That's JabberWiki

4. GlenP Silver badge
    Coat

I remember when 1MB modules were considered cool!

At £1,000 each (approx.) you'd need the finances of a small country to have afforded 128GB even ignoring the number of racks they'd have taken up.

5. chris 17 Silver badge

"3,200 megabits per second" is not very fast, most SSD's will read and write that these days.

did you mean 3,200 gigabits per second?

1. PNGuinn
      Coat

128 GB

Only for desktops?

I want my 2x 128gb for my laptop and I want it NOW!

Ram, luvverly ram.

If only I had a ewese for it ....

Ok, I'm going. Mine's the one with the vacuum in the pocket.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 128 GB

Use for 2x 128 GB of RAM? Google Chrome of course.

2. Vic

3,200 megabits per second" is not very fast, most SSD's will read and write that these days.

Yes, but there will be several chips on each DIMM, meaning that 3200Mb/s gets multiplied by the number of chips doing it...

Vic.

6. YARR

Does desktop / server memory differ from laptop memory from an electronic rather than physical perspective? The laptop memory modules can be doubled up if the data bus is smaller. To accommodate the equivalent memory size as larger modules on desktop / server motherboards, they would just double the number of memory slots.

The transition to DDR4 would have been an opportunity to do this, resulting in better economy of scale,

7. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

What Samsung does well.

Samsung is an electronics company. It does this kind of thing well. But it is not a software and systems company - for that it relies on copying.

1. PleebSmasher
      Trollface

Re: What Samsung does well.

"for that it relies on copying"

Which it does... well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like