back to article UK.gov watchdog growls at firms that pass off advertorials as real opinions

The UK.gov's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is tackling undisclosed advertising in online articles and blogs through a new investigation into murky marketing practices in the world of sponsored content. A CMA’s investigation found two marketing companies, Starcom Mediavest and TAN Media, arranged for endorsements in …

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Unhappy

And the fine was.....?

Ah. Thought not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And the fine was.....?

Who cares, there is a more modern method.

Put reviews on site, and filter out any reviews under 5 stars.

Works a treat and dupes the punters every time. I got duped myself buying a new shed a couple of months back. As a result a shed (actually a workshop) costing 1000 quid required 200 quid worth of C16 wood to stabilize it and make it structurally sound. If I knew it, I would have framed and built it myself instead of buying a kit.

I will not get fooled by this one again. If there are only positive glowing reviews on a 3rd party site, well tough - the site is presumed to be marketeer lying fraudulent scum - so no purchase.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: And the fine was.....?

I sat in on a demo by said 3rd party who were hawking a "review management tool" including the ability to censor negative reviews on several subsidiary/partner review sites. Major ones. In a lucrative life-or-death field. Scum, indeed.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"maintain trust online"

That is so Y2K it's almost quaint. The boat has long sailed on that point, and it currently missing at sea.

Trust is a very precious commodity, and the Internet is no place to waste it. Everyone out there is out to get you, and if you don't think that way, you will be had in some way or another.

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Re: "maintain trust online"

A fairly depressing summation. But one that I sadly agree with.

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

Amazon

> Failing to identify advertising and other marketing, so that it appears to be the opinion of a journalist or blogger, is unlawful and unacceptable

Hopefully the CMA will start to target some of the blatant adverts that pass as "user reviews" on Amazon, too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazon

don't be silly, the tax man has taken how long to go after the likes of amazon and ebay ref. the non-EU sellers (and they haven't got ANYWHERE with that either). Don't expect this useless gov body to do anything other than send letters threatening to send threatening letters. Not about such a trivial matter as (...) lying for money.

btw, how about argos publishing ONLY positive reviews (because they can)?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. alain williams Silver badge

Nothing new with web sites

this sort of thing has happened for years in print (newspapers) - and still does. Advertise enough and you get to write your own articles, or at least heavily influence them.

Something that this will not stop is suppression of stories, I remember many years ago talking to a local newspaper about a local shop who had rooked us, it never went anywhere - they were honest enough to admit that they did not want to risk their weekly adverts.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: Nothing new with web sites

Not always, as HP found out very publically recently:

https://next.ft.com/content/b57fee24-cb3c-11e5-be0b-b7ece4e953a0

6. John Lilburne

"...they may be breaking consumer protection law."

If they are then prosecute them.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

...and in the case of the first example, MYJAR, possibly needs to be investigated by the Financial Regulation Authority or whatever they called this week.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Will DevOps articles stop now?

<G>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will DevOps articles stop now?

You've beaten me to it :)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

On a slightly more serious note, there are articles on El Reg every now and then which read as little more than cut'n'paste press releases and they are basically adverts with no obvious disclaimer.

Having dropped a tip once before to El Reg I've seen how a story can be created from very little information and bears little resemblance to the original (not incorrect or misleading in any way, just fleshed out, this isn't a complaint, it's a compliment) so authors who get paid and actually work for their money are more than capable of taking a press release and creating an article from it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

On a slightly more serious note, there are articles on El Reg every now and then which read as little more than cut'n'paste press releases and they are basically adverts with no obvious disclaimer.

Yup. And none of the "biting the hand" that made me come here in the first place (although some authors seem to confuse being critical with being biased). Not a good trend, but understandable in a world with more and more ad blockers.

8. Alan Brown Silver badge

Meh

I'd be a lot happier if the CMA investigated BT's market abuse via Openreach.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So that's bgr hosed then...

Oh well.

10. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Pirate

Note to Journo's

Stop copying press releases and putting them out as original stories.

you know who I mean.

or else (see Icon)

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: Note to Journo's

Note to Journo's what? Photocopier?

-A.

11. Bibbit

I foresee a problem

Do they have enough staff to prosecute The Telegraph, Murdoch press and the rest of the media cesspit?

On a completely different topic, I've been loving the DevOps articles. It is Agile and stuff with CD waterfalls or something.

1. Dwarf

Re: I foresee a problem

Oddly enough, if they prosecute a couple, they can afford some more people - its a bit like the PPI claim thing.

The watchdog should also charge their costs in recovering the fine too.

Rules mean nothing if they are not enforced

12. Someone_Somewhere

Firefox Plugins Ahead of the Curve

Cahoots — Cahoots zeigt dir Verbindungen von Journalisten zu Vereinen, Organisationen und Unternehmen. *

Fact Checker — Accessing the World Wide Research Paper!

Illuminator — an add-on that clarifies corporate data and political sponsorship in html text.

* Cahoots shows the connections between journalists and associations, organisations and companies.

1. Someone_Somewhere

Re: Firefox Plugins Ahead of the Curve

Should've mentioned 'Member's Interests' as well.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

trollin

Didn't really read the article but El Reg since its slowly becoming click baitish needs to replace this article picture with a crying Jordan.

14. The Nazz

So when do they start investigating the BBC then?

I'm sick of forever hearing adverts on the BBC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So when do they start investigating the BBC then?

I'm sick of forever hearing adverts on the BBC.

I would agree, the Microsoft ones are *especially* annoying, but they are NOT advertorials, they are clearly marked as ads.

The whole issue with advertorials is that they abandon journalistic integrity for money, but not make that abundantly clear. The intended result is that you think the journalist gives an unbiased opinion where in reality they have simply been bought.

Personally, I think it may be worth starting to track people who lend their names to such activity because at the very least they ought to hand back their press card.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like