back to article Flying Finns arm octocopter with chainsaw

Any reader suffering a nasty outbreak of snowmen is directed to an entertaining solution from Finland: the "unstoppable" chainsaw-armed Killerdrone... Unfortunately, while the octocopter is particularly effective in its primary offensive role... The Killerdrone attacks a snowman ...snowmen can easily defend themselves …

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Thumb Up

As a wise man once said...

Everything's better with chainsaws

2. Gordon 10
    Coat

Landing that bad boy is going to be fun.

Ooops - there go the saw horses. Ooops there goes me arms.

Mines the one with a pinned sleeve.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Ooops there goes me arms.

'tis but a flesh-wound

3. Nik 2

Surrender!

I, for one, welcome our chainsaw-wielding octocopter robot overlords.

Presumably these drones have some sort of maximum altitude. Can anyoine recommend somewhere to live a few thousand feet above such a limit?

1. Stoneshop
      Boffin

Re: Surrender!

Presumably these drones have some sort of maximum altitude. Can anyoine recommend somewhere to live a few thousand feet above such a limit?

Flying height for these things tends to refer to ground level, otherwise quadcopter fanatics would move to the Dead Sea area en masse.

But although 'copters (of any configuration) rely on air density for lift, more when hovering (would apply to nearly all models), less with sufficient forward speed (there are turbine-powered real life choppers that can reach FL250, or 826 double-decker buses put upright end-to-end), there's also the ground effect. So you might be safe only on the highest summits of the Himalaya and the Andes, or underwater*. And to be really safe, there's always the moon.

* of course there will be a Finn who has gotten hold of the plans for an AUV, which will then be grafted on to an UAV. With a waterproof chainsaw.

4. My-Handle

Having spent a full Saturday recently trying to get a chainsaw started and using it to remove a large broken bough that was wedged up in the top of three trees...

a) I call bullshit that he started that thing with one pull. Those sods are notorious for not starting without a lot of persuasion

b) Shut up and take my money :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@My-Handle

Not only chainsaws, any power tool is a bugger to start from cold, especially with old petrol but fresh gas and already warm, no problem.

1. Blank-Reg

Re: @My-Handle

Agreed. I broke out the old Mountfield over the weekend, first time since November, in order to give some errant grass a damn good cutting. I really could have done with a can of Wynn's Start You Bastard. Eventually got it going after a lot of shouting...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Symon, nice link and site overall, thanks.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

It's best to use up all the fuel in the tool before you finish for the day.

First class advice! Also helps if the spark plug is properly gapped and clean.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: My-Handle

Might be a commercial opportunity for lopping the tops off Leylandii trees in suburban gardens.

3. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

@My-Handle

It annoys me always when I see professionals start a chainsaw with the first pull, but they keep them in shape. Also they don't seem to pull but sort of drop the the chainsaw down. Old petrol will loose its "octane". I am told. and will not work and that corresponds with my experience. People have the same problem with outboard engines in the spring.

As for the "octane", somebody more into it might find a more "scientific" explanation.

1. Down not across

It annoys me always when I see professionals start a chainsaw with the first pull, but they keep them in shape. Also they don't seem to pull but sort of drop the the chainsaw down.

Yanking the cord is hard work. Much better to keep hold of the handle of the cord and let weight of the chainsaw do the work.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Yanking the cord is hard work. Much better to keep hold of the handle of the cord and let weight of the chainsaw do the work.

But which leg do you want the saw to do the work on? Drop-starting means two things are in motion and need control. Placing the saw on the ground with your foot on the handle prevents the saw moving so it can't bite your leg(s).

1. Lars Silver badge
            Happy

"Placing the saw on the ground with your foot on the handle prevents the saw moving so it can't bite your leg(s)". My solution too. But the two guys I have used for many years keep the cord in their left had and the saw in their right hand and then they use the "Newtonian" for the force and the chain does not move and it looks damned simple. And if it doesn't start right away they look really surprised and you can see the lips forming words. I have tried it but gave up. The reason I have used those guys is that once one big tree fell in exactly the opposite direction to my plans, wasn't fun if surprising, and once a big branch broke free and landed on my head, no hard hat, not that fun either. What I burn in the summer I do my self. I am told modern petrol gets "old" in a few months and you could pimp it again buying a small bottle of something to fix it. Who knows, I don't.

Happy

@ Lars

Discussed this with my friend Fran (coincidentally a Viking descendent) today. Yes, drop-starting a modern saw is OK providing the chain brake is engaged. I showed Fran the saw I learnt on, a Stihl 041 (farm Boss) and it has no chain brake. Old habits die hard :-)

"Modern" petrol (hawk, spit) does go stale. I only mix up enough 2 stroke for a few weeks use. "Stale" petrol from last season gets mixed with fresh and used in the 4 stroke mower.

Falling a tree in the correct direction is an art. I recall watching my neighbours falling a tree very soon after we bought the farm. After several bites, the tree fell directly over the fence they were trying to avoid.

Difficult stuff I hire somebody. Last year I hired a professional arborist to take some limbs off a tree next to the driveway. I would have paid what he charged just for the delight of watching him in action using ropes, a chain saw and a pole-mounted pruning saw.

All of my current gear is Scandinavian and I'm absolutely in love with the Fiskars splitting axe that Mrs Git purchased for my last birthday. Wished I'd owned it decades ago, but then they cost much more than today.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Lars

>sort of drop the the chainsaw down

Professionals in any field do a lot of things I wouldn't do but as the brake should be on and the clutch won't be engaged the chain won't be rotatating. Still wouldn't do it.

>professionals start a chainsaw with the first pull

This is also a case of you get what you pay for. I'll pay enough to get a decent machine. I would expect a professional to have better equipment and, as you say, better maintaned. Nothing to get annoyed about. The "fuel evaporates in the carburettor, which gunges up the gubbins" seems a reasonable technical explanation to me. From now on I'll drain the fuel then run dry. Those small tanks seem to last forever when you don't want then to.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flying power tools...

...what could possibly go wrong?

Reminds me of the radio controlled black puddings in the Kung Fu Kapers (Ecky Thump) episode of The Goodies which I (re)watched last weekend.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Flying power tools...

Decapitation-as-a-service?

2. YARR

what could possibly go wrong?

I've seen videos of those multi-rotors losing a prop and spining out of control - almost colliding with the operator. With a chainsaw this is just asking for it! They could have made the Darwin awards.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: YARR

While true, after the collision, it seems it was self righting. Some do have software to allow for some failure.

Not instantly getting it down to "land" (soft crash) at that point was probably the error.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. VinceH

Re: Nah, I've seen the helicopter ones..

That is not the correct way to use a chainsaw hanging from a helicopter. This documentary demonstrates the correct usage.

1. raving angry loony

Re: Nah, I've seen the helicopter ones..

(Bond clip)

They'd need a much larger drone.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snow is the Fire in which we burn...

Frosty the Snowman

Was a jolly happy soul

With a corncob pipe and a button nose

And two eyes made out of coal

Frosty the Snowman

Is a fairytale, they say

He was taken down by a killer drone

That did end his life one day.

Rudolph wept...

8. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Optional Uses

Sure, it's rated for snowman disposal, but how does it fare against zombies? Or zombie snowmen? Can it come with an flamethrower attachment, also proven effective against snowmen and zombies?

Re: Optional Uses

Snowmen vs Zombies - Film at 11.

9. Sgt_Oddball

I wonder...

Just how fine can the chainsaw/copter be controlled?

Would it be possible to attach a hedge trimer and set some form of flying pattern to create some topiary tomfoolery?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: I wonder...

Programme in a giant todger shape and set it loose on the neighbour's privet hedge? Hmmmm...

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Happy

Programme in a giant todger shape and set it loose on the neighbour's privet hedge? Hmmmm...

Lester, you missed a golden opportunity to use the expression "privet parts". Tch. Poor show.

Cancelling my subscription, etc etc.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Vic

a giant todger shape

It's been done...

Vic.

3. Sgt_Oddball

That was my first thought.

The second being a large hand in the shape of a fist.....with one or two digits extended (for personal preference natch.).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Unep Eurobats
    Gimp

Crew

Do Playmobil do a Leatherface?

Joking aside, that thing is scary.

11. Magani
    Alert

Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

...is now Finnish (ed)

12. VinceH

Forget the new series of Robot Wars - now I want to see Drone Wars!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They do have a new Drone racing show. Can't find a link right now though. :(

1. VinceH

There was an article about a Drone racing result on El Reg a few weeks ago, with a link to a video of it (and more from other events in the comments).

But racing != tearing one another apart! :)

13. John G Imrie
    Happy

Film

Someone somewhere is rewriting a scene in their up coming zombie flick to include an army of these things.

14. Metal Marv

Life imitating Art

Didn't they already do this in Half Life 2?

1. Charles 9

Re: Life imitating Art

Not really. The Manhacks were drones with circular sawblades. Most enemies with chainsaws tended to be of the ground-based bipedal variety and not in HL2.

15. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Finland, drones, chainsaws - what's not to like?

Ah, Finland...

Disclaimer: still going to vote for the Norwegian Party, though. Those of you who know what I mean will know why.

16. TRT Silver badge

This seems oddly reminiscent...

Of the HK in Terminator.

17. Stevie

Bah!

Use a gasoline-fired chainsaw fitted with an auxilliary genny and you could stay aloft longer.

I see no downside.

18. GrumpenKraut
    Boffin

The same thing for REAL

Real chopper plus ridiculously oversized "chainsaw" suspended by steel ropes. Used to cut tree branches along railways. Only seen it in action once. Bloody impressive!

Photos, anyone?

1. Darryl

Re: The same thing for REAL

See:

James Bond: The World is Not Enough

2. foo_bar_baz

No photos, but a video or two. Incidentally, also from Finland.

1. GrumpenKraut

YES! Is that impressive or what? Thanks.

I watched this monster used in GrumpenLand, maybe 12 years ago.

The pilot's job description must be far on the awesome side of job descriptions.

19. agatum
    Happy

We used to make the best (by some account) mobile phones in the world. Now we make these. Oh joy.

Maybe they should have made mobile phones with buildt in mini chainsaws? Oh well, Nokia can always go back to making Wellingtons. There is always a market for good rubber boots.

2. Stoneshop
      Pirate

You should have gotten around to building one of these some years ago, offering it to Steven Elop as a welcome gift.

With the chainsaw running, of course.

20. JayB

Finally!!

Something oh so much better than sharks with frikkin' lasers!!! Drones with Death Sticks.

I must have one.

For the hedges you understand... wonder if they do a Boudicca themed one... blades horizontally mounted, 2 of 'em....

21. Sartori

Bet that costs an arm & a leg

Especially if you screw up the landing.....

22. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The Id Doom-copter

Does it hunt for it's own weapons upgrades yet?

23. This post has been deleted by its author

24. Pompous Git Silver badge

Life with chainsaws

Some years ago, the Tasmanian government in its infinite wisdom decided that you were no longer allowed to use a chainsaw outside your own property unless you were licensed. Getting the license required undergoing a short training course. The trainer on the very first training course managed to kill himself and one of the trainees.

One of my neighbours owned one of those huge machines that grab the tree, cuts it down, strips the limbs and bark, and cuts the stem into suitable lengths. One day it broke down, so Charlie grabbed an ordinary chainsaw and cut down a tree the old way. It was the last time he used a chainsaw.

I'm frequently horrified by the callous disregard that some people have for the danger when using a chainsaw. The Git loves his Jonsared, but treats it with more respect than any other tool in his possession. Maintaining the tool properly so that it does start with the minimum of fuss means you are less likely to lose your cool and consequently a leg, or your good looks.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Life with chainsaws

You can only catch hold of the wrong end of a chainsaw twice.

1. PNGuinn
        Trollface

Re: Life with chainsaws @TRT

Unless you use both hands.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"The trainer on the very first training course managed to kill himself and one of the trainees."

So who trained and licensed the trainer?!? And how on earth did he manage to do this?

So who trained and licensed the trainer?!? And how on earth did he manage to do this?

Wouldn't have a clue who, if anyone, trained the trainer. Licensing is by a state government department called Workplace Standards. I never bothered getting my licence as it gave me an excuse to refuse to go onto another person's property to cut down a tree as well as saving me the licence fee. Probably the less I say about this issue the better.

Our forests are mainly eucalyptus and they are notorious for dropping limbs. There's no safety helmet that's going to save you when a tonne or so of timber falls on you! Them who harvest dead trees for firewood are most at risk and the dead trees are colloquially called "widow-makers". I've lost three friends over the last 40 years.

Some years ago, nurse training became a degree course, rather than the old on-the-job training. A few years after this change, all qualified nurses were given a pay-rise by the government. This meant those who were doing the training missed out on the pay rise as they qualified before it became a degree course. So it goes...

1. Charles 9

As I recall, eucalyptus is also a very oily and resinous tree, meaning another constant risk with them is catching fore and sometimes exploding.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Sounds like eucalyptus trees are best dealt with using some sort of remote controlled chopping device. Or a cannon.

25. phuzz Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Jamie from Mythbusters tried a slightly smaller version of this a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fe9IDx3vCs

26. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

In 'LA Story' there is a guy juggling with a chainsaw. And a scream when he is out of the frame.

EDIT

http://www.juggling.org/movies/title/LA_Story.htm

There is a website dedicated to juggling in movies. Of course there is. What was I thinking - it's the internet.

Apparently juggling chainsaws is a thing.

Juggling 3 chainsaws with one on fire.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Chainsaw juggling

I've seen that done live, dude juggling three (running) chainsaws... indoors no less. The ceiling of the ballroom was mirrored, which was really throwing him off of his game, made the climatic act that much more dramatic.

Odd part was, he wore logging chaps for the chainsaw juggling part. That seemed unnecessary. Like he was checking off an OSHA requirement (it's ok inspector, I've got my chaps and eye protection on, so I'm operating these three chainsaws in a safe manner).

The sound of three chainsaws in an indoor environment is impressive enough, add in the variations in exhaust tone from spinning them and you get something unbelievable.

That was quite a few years ago, I'm guessing that the performer has moved on to a new act as a one-armed paper hanger or is playing odds in the ass kicking contest circuit (20-1 on the one-legged man).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Chainsaw juggling

I seriously hope they are "stage" chainsaws or something. With no real blades. :/

27. Shades

Interesting use...

...of what appears to be a D/SLR 3-axis stabilisation gimbal too.

28. Chemical Bob
    Thumb Up

Now *this* would be...

...the drone to shoot down by that guy in Kentucky!

29. megadeaf

Now a shotgun is not the only answer to amazon drones

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

No there are many other weapons of the long gun variety that will do the job

30. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Reg Prescott

Just the type of invention that Reg Prescott may have created

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p_mdGtY26Y

31. Bob Merkin

Totally missed opportunity

Soundtrack should've been Steve'n'Seagulls doing AC/DC's 'Thunderstruck'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like