back to article Redflow's home batteries to start shipping in June

South Australian energy storage outfit Redflow has started taking pre-orders for its home battery, dubbed the ZCell, but please don't pitch it against the Tesla PowerWall. The comparison is probably inevitable, but Redflow chairman and Tesla 'leccy car owner Simon Hackett told The Register the company is not after the entry- …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Nice article Richard

Good detail.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Nice article Richard

Except for weight

2. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Nice article Richard

From the Z-Cell faq

The enclosure measures around 1000mm long, 500 mm wide and 1150 mm high and weighs about 240Kg.

2. dibbz

Cost benefit of batteries?

After getting 6kw of solar (for AUD$6600) I have about AUD$1200 a year in electricity bills.

Seeing I'd still have to be on grid, even with battery storage, It seems to me dropping $10k on a battery that lasts 10 years provides no cost benefit?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cost benefit of batteries?

I guess this is one of those areas of tech that is away off making sense for most people at present but given time will become more price competitive to eventually meet grid parity in some places. I guess at the moment it makes more sense for areas where the grid is unreliable or access is not guaranteed such as on a boat.

3. -tim
    Happy

How does work disose of 48v gear?

At my place of work there is a list of people wanting the old batteries and inverters. If we get 3 of these, half of our tech department would be off the grid. Won't Simon think of the poor power companies?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like