Favourite sound chip and why

This topic was created by 1980s_coder .

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

SID = Sound Interface Device, C64 (and VC 10, C128, CBM-II series).

Why? Nostalgia, mainly... but Bob Yannes at MOS Technology did know a thing or several about music - quite a few people think that SID was the best 8-bit sound chip.

3. jake Silver badge

Chip? Heathens!

Tascam half inch tape, dual McIntosh stereo pre-amps, quad McIntosh MC-2300s, Boston Acoustic studio monitors ... Music delivered by chip just ain't music.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Chip? Heathens!

"The sound chips mentioned above were more akin to instruments than recording and reproduction equipment."

Oh, my. You really have no clue about music, do you?

"I mean your reply is a bit like saying, "a violin is better than an 8-track cartridge"."

Uh ... who would dispute that? Are you serious?

"Rather depends on what sounds you want to reproduce."

Chips are digital. Music is analog. QED.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Chip? Heathens!

Had some Braun HiFi gear once and a big Phillips reel-to-reel... today anything that gets past my tinnitus without too much distortion is fine. Still playing lots of vinyl and tapes, though...

Anyway, off topic, technically...

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I still have 3? 4? C64 lurking around somewhere, including a portable one. Also a keyboard to plug into the extension port. I once had delusions about making music, y'know. Something post-punk-new-wave-industrial-sort-of. Distorted feedback-loops, banging on metal bits, primitive drum machine, having a couple of computers beeping. Pity I threw out the couple of acoustic couplers I had at one point. But the drum machine must be still somewhere... Let's say it could be a project again when I retire...

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Who told you about the 486 with the SoundBlaster card in my garage?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

Let me guess, the BoM-thread by I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects? Can't deceide whether that's more crazy or more scary. What is going on in his (?) head? It's too long and elaborate for a prank by now. And doesn't feel like one. Yet strangely coherent in itself. But does he really think he can predict earthquakes from Australian met office data? Like I already said in the BoM-thread I expected something like a variant of one of the wilder conspiracy theories around HAARP, or maybe a rehash of the hollow earth theory, something along these lines. But no, whatever it is, it is quite original. At the moment my working theory is that we are dealing with a borderline person, maybe not properly medicated at the moment. I'm still musing about how to react. I really like a good conspiracy theory - as a joke or an intellectual exercise like a crossword puzzle. If it goes further than that, I usually try to dissuade them. But doing that here might push him (?) over the edge. amanfrommars1 is a bit weird, but not crazy - this is something else entirely.

But that's El Reg for you, you do meet interesting people.

EDIT: oh dear, I've just noticed. He's started another thread. E for Effort?

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Yep, you pretty much nailed the matter. Plus possible connection to full moon - it tends to affect some people more than other.

Usually the best thing to do is to do nothing. Internet won't get full anytime soon. And I know at least one person who got much better after opening the floodgates of irrational thought.

Heh. Kurt Vonnegut once said that his books were just therapy sessions - he had to get rid of all those crazy images in his head, so decided to put them on the paper. Rest, as they say, is history.

Well, the internet is the open version of the closed ward.

Re literature: There are lots of quotes by lots of authors along those lines. My estimate is that 50% of all literature is revenge, 50% is therapy.

And I think I'll rummage around the heap of VHS tapes that still aren't digitised and discarded for the one with Slaughterhouse 5 on it, could really watch that one again, thanks for reminding me!

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Check out "A Beautiful Mind" about John Nash. Pure gold. Especially relevant in these days.

/fwiw, sorry for hijacking the thread/

"A feel-good romp if ever there was one!" -- Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Saw it when it came out, went mainly because I'm a fan of Ed Harris, to tell the truth, in spite of having heard about Nash before. But yes, a very good movie! You don't forget scenes like him picking apart his arm to find the nonexistant radium clock.

As we've moved to movies exploring states of mind, have you seen "Being John Malkovich"?

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Malkovich. Malkovich Malkovich. Malkovich!

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Good one.

Btw, found that Malkovich scene on Youtube:

youtube.com/watch?v=lIpev8JXJHQ

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon