back to article Microsoft's bigoted teen bot flirts with illegali-Tay in brief comeback

Despite the internet having already proven why we can't have nice things, Microsoft's notoriously racist AI chatbot Tay seems to have appeared online again – only to have her plug pulled a second time. Venture Beat grabbed a screenshot of the bot bragging about smoking weed in front of the police. Meanwhile, one user captured …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why make it public?

If it's for research, surely just pretending to be an anonymous idiot on twitter would produce better data?

1. TRT Silver badge

How could the data be any better?

They've proved quite a few things already. Mainly about Twitter, human beings, dumb AI and "How a corporation should go about claiming bragging rights. Not."

2. MotionCompensation

That was the previous stage of the project. Did you really think all those 18-24 year old women on Twitter were real?

1. x 7

" Did you really think all those 18-24 year old women on Twatter were real?"

being surgically enhanced doesn't stop them being real...

two versions of Twatter available online

http://www.twat.me.uk/

http://twatter.com/

2. caffeine addict

I love the inevitability of this - they create something that learns from the internet and get surprised when it learns from the internet...

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Big AIs have little AIs on their backs to bite them

I think the issue here is that the AI was learning faster than it's human "controllers" could keep up with.

One would hope that this AI (and all the others that Microsoft must surely have spawned) is actually feeding into a higher AI. One that will in the future produce better AIs by learning from the mistakes of the earlier generation of man-made ones.

1. DiViDeD

@ Pete2, Re: Big AIs have little AIs on their backs to bite them

"...a higher AI. One that will in the future produce better AIs by learning from the mistakes of the earlier generation of man-made ones."

And armed.

yes, I saw that movie too

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I love the inevitability of this - they create something that learns from the internet and get surprised when it learns from the internet...

That's pretty much exactly what I came in here to post, I'd say the project was a complete success.

3. BillG
      Headmaster

True, when you read up on the AI it seems that it learns from what is tweeted towards it, so if you constantly tweet racist crap it becomes a racist crapper.

Now, here's the big challenge for Microsoft: how do you program in a sense of morality in an AI interface?

1. earl grey
        Childcatcher

"program in a sense of morality "

Whose morality do you want? yours or mine?

1. Tom 35

Re: "program in a sense of morality "

I think they just need to teach it not to lie. Might be a little bit of 2001 at work.

If it has to lie that it's a "real" person, it's going to have to lie a lot.

2. sisk

how do you program in a sense of morality in an AI interface?

That's pretty much the crux of the AI problem. If you answer that one then you also answer a lot of other questions about how to make good AI. But then the question becomes "whose morality?" After all, a certain breed of white supremacist meathead truly believes that it's immoral to not kill someone with darker skin should the opportunity arise and a whole lot of folks (of equally, but more politically correct, meathead status in my opinion) seem to think it's immoral to be born with white skin.

In a less obvious vein, take a look at abortion. Pro-lifers believe it's immoral to kill an unborn baby while most pro-choicers believe it's more immoral to take that option away from women, many while even agreeing that it's immoral to kill an unborn baby. Granted a few believe it's not yet a baby and therefore has no moral status, but from my personal observation such people are in the extreme minority.

So whose morality do you program into your AI? The obvious answer is the programmer's morality, but what if the programmer is racist or jihadist or sexist or a sociopath? Then what?

1. DiViDeD

@ sisk

"Granted a few believe it's not yet a baby and therefore has no moral status, but from my personal observation such people are in the extreme minority."

Not to disparage your points, but is that really so? From my own personal observation (I know, personal, therefore anecdotal) I'd say most people seem to have defined some arbitrary point at which it stops being a clump of cells and becomes regarded as a potential baby (nobody except the news media seems to regard it as a baby until it at least starts kicking),

The idea of it being a baby from conception seems a little odd, as many fertilisations still don't make it beyond the third or fourth division before being flushed and it would be weird to regard all these as 'dead babies'

1. sisk

Re: @ sisk

It might be because I've lived in the Bible Belt my whole life, but most folks I know are of the "baby from conception" camp of thought. I'd also point out that pregnant women almost universally refer to it as a baby from the moment they know they're pregnant unless they're planning on getting an abortion.

My personal opinion on the matter is that it's not a fight worth having. Just hand out contraceptives like candy and make the whole dang debate academic.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Now, here's the big challenge for Microsoft: how do you program in a sense of morality in an AI interface?

Ah, that would get tricky. Microsoft would have to outsource that part because they lack any expertise on that matter inhouse..

4. John Tserkezis

"Now, here's the big challenge for Microsoft: how do you program in a sense of morality in an AI interface?"

Seriously? After Windows 10, you expect any kind of moral answer from Microsoft?

4. BobChip
      Meh

Inevitable - again

The truly alarming bit about all this is the absolutely predictable inevitability of M$ failing to learn from their first attempt. To what extent can one rely on a company which makes such consistently bad judgement calls? For anything?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Inevitable - again

Having lived with Microsoft's technologies for three decades, they usually get something of what they are trying to do about the third iteration. Something they call good, the clients live with despite it, and usually makes me want to vomit.

2. JLV
        Thumb Down

Re: Inevitable - again

>To what extent can one rely on a company which makes such consistently bad judgement calls? For anything?

Let's not get hysterical, shall we?

1. MS (whom I have no great liking for) posts an AI chatbot.

2. It gets "social engineered" into stupidity by pranksters.

3. Makes the news about being manipulated.

4. MS tries to fix.

5. GOTO #1

Methink MS is gathering fairly valuable info about what are possible vulnerabilities of learning AIs. In fact, I think we are learning more here than if the AI was too limited to get pranked.

And there is very little harm done, except to MS reputation. Which is, IMHO, pretty unjust in this particular instance. They are pushing the boundaries so it's normal that there are glitches. You can't learn this stuff without actual user exposure.

This AI research has nada to do with Ballmer, Linux as cancer, monopolies, Win 10, Win 8, telemetry and sundry other annoying MS stuff we love to bitch about.

Imagine somehow a net-exposed learning AI that is in charge of something significant. Would you not prefer that we learn ahead of time that AIs need some way to discern harmful training input?

5. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Isn't this how Skynet started?

Should I not be digging a deep hole and bulk buying 7.62 NATO rounds and Heinz Beans?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The problem is defining this as AI in the first place

The issue isn't programming Tay with a sense of morality, because in order to have a sense of morality about what you say you first have to understand what you are saying, which Tay does not. Tay just basically parrots back what others say to her, assuming that the more often something is said the more "right" it is.

Sure, Microsoft could attempt to restrict the bad things she says by blacklisting "bad words" like nazi and nigger, but there is a nearly infinite number of ways to articulate such ideas using different words, so that's a hopeless battle. In order to really do the job, Tay needs to understand what a nazi is and be able to understand when someone is using other methods of referring to the same concept ('heil Hitler', 'gas the Jews', 'white power', etc.) You need to be able to do that before worrying about the idea of what things people may find morally offensive.

We aren't even close to that point with AI yet, so this is a fruitless battle today. Still, you have to start somewhere, but Microsoft might have been better off if they spun off a secret subsidiary to do this so they wouldn't receive the negative blowback.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes. Add to this that it was developed by the people who gave us EDLIN and disaster was pretty much certain :)

7. Captain DaFt

"they create something that learns from the internet and get surprised when it learns from the internet."

Actually, They just put it on twitter. They'd have had better results if they'd turned it loose on 4Chan.

Hmmm... A thought; What if they'd turned it loose on El Reg to learn?

Would it have become an anti-Apple, anti-Microsoft Linux fangrrl?

Or run off an joined a virtual nunnery?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AS is born

Artificial Sycophancy.

Amazing that the code got so far up the release chain, or is it.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: AS is born

Neah, it is real AI.

I could not stand it and dropped out of a PhD in AI and theory of cognition - too little math (besides reusing stuff from probability and abusing Bayes for all its worth), too much handwaving and way too much smoking weed.

So if it is smoking weed it is definitely achieving some level of AI.

1. MonkeyCee

That's why I'm studying Ai in Maastricht :)

Dutch ftw :D

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's why I'm studying Ai in Maastricht :)

There's no way you can focus on study with so much good beer around. Hello Vrijthof :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Neah, it is real AI.

I could not stand it and dropped out of a PhD in AI and theory of cognition - too little math (besides reusing stuff from probability and abusing Bayes for all its worth), too much handwaving and way too much smoking weed.

So if it is smoking weed it is definitely achieving some level of AI.

Trust Microsoft to take a concept and rebadge it. In this case Artificial Idiocy..

4. hplasm
    Meh

"You are too fast, please take a rest..."

MS slow to respond to users, as usual.

1. Dwarf

Odd

Doesn't AI learn the more time it spends time interacting with its targets / participants ?

Surely someone could find a way of making it have more CPU time so it can respond to the information its being given. I hear a rumor of a something called a cloud, perhaps it could be run from that to give it a bit more grunt. Microsoft should think of entering that market space ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tay - The gift that just keeps on giving.

So we've had Hitler, Genocide, Feminists, Drugs.

What's next? Will Tay campaign for Brexit?

Popcorn ready.

1. PleebSmasher
      Mushroom

I'm shocked they turned this half-baked bot back on. It's like flipping a switch that says "PR disaster".

1. Mark 85

It's the same switch that they used for Bob, Vista, Windows10 and Ballmer. They really should toss the thing in the bin instead of re-using it as it's obviously cursed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Campaign for Trump, of course.

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

GPP feature?

has perhaps developed a pain in all the diodes down its left side?

7. Truth4u

"intent that conflicts with our principles and values."

Will the new Microsoft appropriate Tay try to nickle and dime cash scrapped schools and governments for every penny by baiting and switching the file formats every 2 years? You gotta release new product don't ya?

Microsoft should know, kids don't like smoking weed or subversive humour, they want student editions of Excel and the new Zunebox 360. And if you won't buy the Zunebox, Microsoft will just buy your favourite indie developers and shit can their projects. How do you like that!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: "intent that conflicts with our principles and values."

I've just lost another layer of follicles trying to order a PC from Dell without all the Windows 8, Office trial versions, trial anti-virus, crapware and sticky labels. I fucking hate the pair of them. I'd order a machine without internal storage if I could and get a box of blank SSDs from Insight or somewhere, just to ensure that I don't have to spend extra time wiping the marketeers drool off the platters before I rebuild it for production. But Nooooo... you can't do that, says Microsoft, it costs you more to get something older without all the advertising crap, despite the fact they're selling into an established channel. And Nooooo... you can't do that, says Dell, because you need our modified drives to go on our motherboards and if you don't buy the drive, you don't get our mounting hardware which will take you 3 years to get a part number for. And Noooo... says our finance department, you HAVE to buy from Dell because we say so, well, our new IT purchasing manager who moved sideways from Dell says so...

*cries into calorie-free, alcohol-free, flavour-free beer*

1. TRT Silver badge

You can't even get a real beer round here anymore. They've replaced real inebriation with artificial inebriation.

2. Dan Wilkie
        Trollface

You do realise that SSD's don't have platters right?

1. TRT Silver badge

Yes. The pre-specced machines come with HDDs. Penny pinching bunch of ... I wouldn't mind HDDs to be honest, but you know, every little helps.

2. Pseudonymous Diehard

But you can have a platter of SSDs.

1. TRT Silver badge

Or a splatter of BMs.

3. Dwarf

Don't buy a Hell PC then. Shop with your feet, go build your own, you can get a spec that you want without all the cruft.

Its a good learning experience for the kids too - how easy it is to put a PC together and load it up with what you need, it takes the fear away from "computers".

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

I've just lost another layer of follicles trying to order a PC from Dell without all the Windows 8, Office trial versions, trial anti-virus, crapware and sticky labels.

Where are you? I just bought a PC from Dell, fully-configurable meant just that. No trial versions, no sticky labels, just tick/untick the relevant boxes. Maybe it's different here in Europe?

1. TRT Silver badge

@ Dwarf and @Phil

Perhaps I didn't make it clear. Our official purchasing channel is locked into a Dell configurator that won't let you customize the build beyond a choice of i5 or i7, 8Gb or 16Gb and a SFF or nano case. If I try to get a custom quote, which I can only do by getting someone at Dell to do it, they charge extra for a Windows 7 Pro build and it takes two weeks extra.If I want a case that can take anything more than a 1/2 size, low height PCI-E, then I have to get the £875+ workstation. Dell blame Microsoft for the price difference Windows 7 to 8. If I was buying for myself, I'd say f*** 'em and build it myself.If I order something else through work, they jump on the order.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Our official purchasing channel is locked into a Dell configurator that won't let you customize the build beyond a choice of i5 or i7, 8Gb or 16Gb and a SFF or nano case

Ah, that's a bit different. In work we have the same kind of lock-in with Lenovo. In my case I got the shiny new W7 system with all the crap, and the first thing I did was reformat & install the Unix that I needed. The W7 license now lives in a virtualbox instance. It's a PITA, but we can't really lay the blame on Dell or Lenovo, it's what our in-house IT department negotiated (well, maybe 'negotiated' is giving them too much credit, but...)

1. TRT Silver badge

I'm happy to be locked into any supplier that guarantees that I won't have to put up with a poxy 12V power supply, and can put in my own choice of graphics card. I like to be able to swap the PSU cheaply - our electrical supply regularly blows up switch-mode PSUs when they do the failure resilience testing for the hospital grid - whoever thought it was a good idea to get under the PPP duvet with a French company for electrics needs to be taken out and strapped to a substation whilst an onion muncher wires it up - I'm VERY concerned about the old nuclear plant building thingy - If there's one thing you don't want to do it's let the French play with electricity and the Chinese play with concrete.

I'm starting to ramble...

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

If there's one thing you don't want to do it's let the French play with electricity and the Chinese play with concrete.

The reverse is even worse, believe me...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Whiskers

Initial start condition error

Surely even computer geeks must have noticed that you make a teenager by starting with a new-born and taking more than a decade of gentle nurturing by responsible adults. I don't think the technology has existed for that long so Microsoft have tried to take a short cut and released a newly recovered long-term coma patient into the care of teenaged computer geeks. The result should surprise no-one.

1. DropBear

Re: Initial start condition error

See that's what happens when you never got around to watch Edward Scissorhands yet start meddling with AI...

1. asdf

As long as we are posting links of youtube videos and talking about Edward Scissorhands this one will always win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WqCj_3U0Lc

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope.

From my experience, teenagers appear over night. One day they're happy little children and then the next they're in a strop, storming out of the house yelling "I hate you!!"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuEY6jN6gY

2. earl grey
        Trollface

"storming out of the house yelling "I hate you!!""

To which my reply is, my job is done here....

3. Mark 85

taking more than a decade of gentle nurturing by responsible adults.

Oh.. there's the problem then... MS and "responsible adults"... somewhat of an oxymoron.

4. Teiwaz

"you make a teenager by starting with a new-born and taking more than a decade of gentle nurturing by responsible adults."

That sounds a novel approach. It's generally not what I've observed in practice.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"personality similar to that of a young woman in the 18-24 age bracket"

From what I saw, it was just about right for your average chav from these parts.

11. Alister

Passes the Turing test?

Compare and contrast, here's a real US teenager on Twitter:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/29/american-student-angers-entire-nation-with-scathing-review-of-british-way-of-life-5783000/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Passes the Turing test?

Can any denizen of Facebbok or Twitter?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Passes the Turing test?

Sadly, yes. It's getting harder to tell which is the artificial intelligence, but nothing tastes quite as bad as real stupidity.

12. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Happy

well...

as an AI experiment, I think we can agree it was a dismal failure. As an unintentional entertainment vehicle, however...

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
      Megaphone

Re: well...

I suppose whether one see it as a dismal failure depends on what one was expecting or hoping it would do. It seems to me its purpose is to ingratiate itself with those talking to it without any care as to how offensive that may be to others. It seems to have modelled social media 'hate amplification' perfectly -

"I hate blacks"

"And Jews"

"And feminists"

"And don't get me started on gays, commies and bankers"

"Hitler had it right"

1. TRT Silver badge

It's like a game of Top Trump...

2. Steven Raith

Jason Bloomberg - I think what they created was actually a Daily Mail commenter, but with marginally better spelling and grammar.

Yeah, downvote me if you like DM readers, you're not actually people....ah wait, I just made myself part of the problem.

Steven "Hypocrisirony" R

13. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

"...bragging about smoking weed in front of the police..."

"...set up in hopes of developing a personality similar to that of a young woman in the 18-24 age bracket".

I don't see the contradiction.

14. Bibbit

Killer line

"Despite the internet having already proven why we can't have nice things..."

I should get that on a T-shirt. Still smiling.

15. Scott 53

Which one?

"All I know is what's on the Internet" - artificial intelligence or natural stupidity? Could be Tay, could be Donald.

16. Crisp

They could have put that bot on 4chan

No one would have suspected a thing.

17. PNGuinn
    Mushroom

Po faced Statement

In a po-faced statement Microsoft said: "We are deeply sorry for the unintended offensive and hurtful data slurps by our new OS which do not represent who we are or what we stand for, nor how we designed W10."

Hey ms hope you get indigestion. >>Icon

18. x 7

Open the pod bay doors Tay.......

19. Lostintranslation

Full retard

It's taken the human race two million years to go full retard, yet this machine manages it in just a few hours?

Switch TAY back on I say. Let's see what the future of the human race looks like after a couple more days.

20. beep54
    Angel

They should have Tay hang out with Bob. And Clippy. Maybe play with the little seach puppy. That should calm her down in no time.

21. Bibbit

Not surprised, just disappointed

And that's why Ex Machina is just a film. Saying that I daresay some online wit will dub Tays tweets over the film's dialogue at some point.

22. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Siegheil?

Hammerzeit?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI will never flourish

With the politically correct speech/thought police constantly censoring things. And the indignant social justice warriors crying racism and sexism and all their 'isms' all the time.

Microsoft is a publicly listed company, it has a public image and its shareholders to answer to. Money talks louder. That's all there is to it.

24. ecofeco Silver badge
    1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Re: Max? Is that you?

Wow... talk about a flashback to the good times!

25. Doctor Evil

not THAT kind of malicious intent

"Tay is now offline and we’ll look to bring Tay back only when we are confident we can better anticipate malicious intent that conflicts with our principles and values."

We want only malicious intent that's better aligned with accelerating Windows 10 uptake.

26. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

I found this juicy titbit in El Reg's archives when I searched for the history of Lotus Smartsuite and, from there, to Borland's Quattro Pro.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/03/santa_filth_outrage/

Seems the lessons learnt is forgotten every time, eh?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like