back to article Bloke coughs to leaking US military aircraft blueprints to China

A Chinese national has pleaded guilty to charges that he funneled US military aircraft secrets back to his controllers in the Middle Kingdom. "Su Bin admitted to playing an important role in a conspiracy, originating in China, to illegally access sensitive military data, including data relating to military aircraft that are …

1. Gray
    Facepalm

After only three years?

and we will continue to be relentless in our pursuit of those who seek to undermine our security."

After only three years, they ran the spies to ground? Good work! Now if we could ask the Chinese to "please, pretty please?" give us our secrets back... or cut us one hell of a deal, after they start making the new aircraft, to sell us a few squadrons of the improved models? Maybe we could sweeten the deal by trading them a few F-35 design packages?

(Bad idea: if the Chinese go tittys-up building F-35s, who would we borrow money from?)

1. Mark 85

Re: After only three years?

Maybe the F-35 was one of the packages. I guess we should start expecting news from unnamed source about a new Chinese fighter that crashes and has a lot of problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Maybe the F-35 was one of the packages. I guess we should start expecting news from unnamed source about a new Chinese fighter that crashes and has a lot of problems.

If they got the F-35 design, then sooner or later the Chinese will be asking for their money back.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Given that Lockheed Martin make the F35, and Boeing are one of their competitors without involvement on the project i'd say it's somewhat unlikely that the Chinese have plans for the F35 from Boeing. They could be assumed to have anything on this list though:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Defense,_Space_%26_Security

The interesting ones seem to be the F15 & F18, neither of which are stealth aircraft and frankly given how much things have moved on in the 44 years since the F15 was released i'm not entirely convinced that it would be where I would start from if developing a modern fighter.

1. x 7

but they may have got documents relating to the F-35 competitor, the X-32 - which was a simpler design which may well be more appropriate for Chinese production capabilities

The Americans didn't buy it, mainly for political reasons, but two prototypes were built and their design could easily be the basis for a successful rip-off 5th generation fighter

2. GX5000

http://www.defensetech.org/2015/09/29/lawmaker-chinese-j-31-j-20-mirror-american-f-35-f-22/

They improved the design....

2. Denarius
      Meh

@Gray: Chinese J22 looks like a decent fighter, once the new engines are built and shown to be up to spec. Obeys area rule so it wont be a dog manoeuvring unlike F35. But given the same physics holds in China as rest of world, the main difference comes back to degree of stealth required, which Russians dont seem to be too concerned with and merkins who think it's everything. This explains why Russians have fighters while merkins have bomb trucks they can't afford while hoping they never face a foe that launches 3 times as many planes or missiles as they did. Oh, and over horizon radar shows stealth planes nicely except maybe B2. Might be shadowy because its technology relies (AFAIK) on signal absorption and low profile rather than deflection.

Edit: Exception may be Merkin F22. If its up to spec, but they have few of them so they wont be used lightly.

Personally, I would love a thrash in Su-47 with original forward sweept wings. Looks as sexy as an SR-71.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

After only three years, they ran the spies to ground?

Never mind that, look at the penalty - max five years in chokey. What a fucking laugh. And what about a life sentence for the fuckwit that hire a Chinese national such that they had access to military secrets?

On the plus side, at least it isn't just the UK that has comedy short prison sentences, although I'm surprised to find the Yanks contending for the title of "Least punitive sentencing of the year".

1. DocJames

@ ledswinger Re: After only three years?

Yeah, we all know (or should) that criminal behaviour isn't deterred by severity of punishment, but likelihood of being caught. Given it took 3 years to catch him, I'm not surprised he tried.

And I don't think that he was motivated by money, which is presumably the rationale behind the fine system. Which leads nicely onto agreeing with you about the moron who hired him. And quoting an American:

"Dr Johnson said that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. With all respect due to an enlightened, albeit inferior, lexicographer, he is wrong: it is the first." - Ambrose Bierce

4. rtb61

China is just to Cheap

Come on the reality here is China was just being a bunch of cheap arses and not willing to buy those plans off Boeing for full price. It simply was much cheaper for China to send in an industrial agent and steal those planes, rather than paying for them.

The US military industrial complex is totally up for sale to the highest bidder, plans, equipment and even deployment of the war machine.

2. publius

WTF

Did Boeing actually put militarily-useful information on a machine exposed to the Internet?

Or was this just advertising brochures?

If classified information was exposed to the world, Boeing should lose its security acreditations. Out of business!

I suspect this story is being hyped by the press as far worse than it really was. But, it got headlines, didn't it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WTF

Unless things have changed dramatically for the worse since I last worked in the defence sector, there won't have been anything really sensitive on publicly accessible servers. Nor would "executives" have had logon credentials for the secure networks, simply because their roles shouldn't require it.

3. Brian Miller
    Joke

What, 'su -' wasn't a tipoff?

El Reg, what gives? Not one wisecrack about su /bin being able to get access to stuff? Hello? Waiting for Su Do to drop by?

Maybe we need more writers that can function at the command line.

4. RPF

"PLED" guilty? Yuck.

1. Adrian Tawse

PLED

I agree, pleaded please. The other hate I have is gotten. This is ugly and unnecessary.

1. Swarthy

Re: PLED

So you're saying that "pled" and "gotten" are hideous, misbegotten words that should be removed from usage? In that case don't read below.

Let us flee, said the fly

Let us fly, said the flea

Together, they fled through a flaw in the flue.

2. Pookietoo

Re: The other hate I have is gotten

I think "gotten" is archaic English, like some other Americanisms. The ugliness of "get"/"got"/"gotten" is best avoided by using an appropriate alternative in many cases, although it is acceptable in a few.

3. x 7

Re: PLED

"Pled" I agree with you - horrible word

"Gotten" I'm more open about - its still used in some forms of Somerset / Dorset dialect

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

in other news

he once used a Mac, so Apple have to build a special version of OS X to enable the G-men to access things.

Ooops, wrong story. Sorry.

6. x 7

FFS

Who with any sense employs Chinese nationals in a secure environment? There have been too many reports like this. Its as daft as employing Russians in the 1960's or Germans in the 1940's

1. Christoph

The story seems to say that he got other people to hack in from outside - where does it claim he was a Boeing employee?

"Su, who worked for a Canadian aerospace company"

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

where does it claim he was a Boeing employee?

"Su, who worked for a Canadian aerospace company"

Highly likely that said Canadian aerospace company has ties with Boeing so he had access to Boeing systems from there, at least enough access to know where to direct his accomplices efforts.

2. Hans 1
      FAIL

>Germans in the 1940's

Who built the bomb ?

1. James O'Shea

"

>Germans in the 1940's

Who built the bomb ?"

Not Germans. Oppenheimer was American, Szilard was Hungarian, Fermi was Italian, von Neumann was another Hungarian, and so was Edward Teller. Hans Brethe was German, but that's just one... and he was, like the others except for Fermi, Jewish. (Fermi's wife was Jewish) Given the situation in Germany at the time, there would have been a reason why a large group of Jews would be unlikely to spill anything to the Nazis. (Or, come to that, to have been believed even if they did.)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This might enlighten a little: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKn1aSOyOs

3. M.Heisenberg

"Who with any sense employs Chinese nationals in a secure environment? There have been too many reports like this. Its as daft as employing Russians in the 1960's or Germans in the 1940's"

To fail to hire someone because of their ethnicity or national origin and you would get accused being a racist. Thats why not

1. x 7

"To fail to hire someone because of their ethnicity or national origin and you would get accused being a racist"

I can tolerate taunts of racism if it stops leaks and spies

7. xj650t
    Facepalm

Good Thing

He wasn't torrenting Bieber's latest hit, he'd have got 125 years in jail and a $2.5M fine.

Selling secrets to the Chinese, that'll be just 5 years of picking up the soap.

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Good Thing

In all fairness, stealing blueprints is just espionage. Bieber proliferation is a crime against humanity.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Secret blueprints leaked from Boeing servers?

"Cyber security is a top priority not only for the FBI but the entire US government"

"Cyber security" isn't a real thing, assuming 'cyber' refers to the Internet, once you connect to the Internet then you're only as secure as the computers connected at either end. Has Boeing ever considered not keeping its secret blueprints on the Internet?

9. lglethal Silver badge
    Stop

International Multisite Company - Keeping Documents away from Internet servers IMPOSSIBLE!

I'm reading a lot of comments here, about how Boeing should keep their documents away from internet accessible servers. Well I'd love to know how you can do that when you're an international multi-site company.

I don't work for Boeing but I work for another International multisite company. I work on part of the design here in Germany, colleagues in the UK and France work on other sections, we all need to collaborate on the CAD models and documentation. Yes, the servers are secured, with all the usual jazz, but the fact is we all need to access to that data, and that means there is ZERO chance that we could run this company with all of the data locked away on servers with no access to the internet! Should we be sending that data around the world with memory sticks? Should every single worker in the firm be on a machine that has no access to the internet? Probably we should get rid of email as well, right, because that's an internet facing server?

In this day and age, it is not possible to run a multinational firm, or even a multi site one, without pretty much every computer having a potential internet presence. All you can do is attempt to lock down permissions enough that if someone is compromised that the level of compromise is negligible. And have the systems in place to quickly notice when a system is compromised.

From this article it appears, this guy identified the location of servers and the names of people to be targeted for phishing. Externals did the actual hacking. That would have made it harder for detection of the compromised information, as the hackers could zero in quickly to where they wanted to go. Still 3 years is a long time to get away with this. So Boeing needs stronger detection strength, but in the modern world you cant get away from having internet accessible computers. So accusing Boeing of being foolish for this, is just wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Re: International Multisite Company - Keeping Documents away from Internet servers IMPOSSIBLE!

Connect to the servers through VPN gateways that run on embedded hardware. Require the clients to have a hardware token present to access the servers. Have a full and irrevocable audit trail on all accesses to the servers. Buy a computer that can't be compromised by someone sending you an email msg. This ain't rocket science .

2. Mark 85

Re: International Multisite Company - Keeping Documents away from Internet servers IMPOSSIBLE!

There's also dedicated lines from the telcos available to connect sites together. As long as marketing, sales, and certain other idiots in the hierarchy are allow net access but locked out from the design and development servers, it should be good.

10. earl grey
    Terminator

"five years in prison"

Seriously, only five years in prison?

Treason deserves a bit more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "five years in prison"

>>> Treason deserves a bit more.

The guy was a Chinese national feeding information to the Chinese government. If a US national fed information to the US government from China, people would say they were patriotic.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Gimp

Re: "five years in prison"

Exactly. The guy was being patriotic....to his own country.

One mans spy is another mans...erm...spy :-)

Spy in mask --------------------->

11. J.Smith

Isn't it a given that the Chinese and the Russians know all the US's secrets? Espionage is hardly new, and the way the Americans sub-contract out everything, there are lots of people with access to sensitive stuff, and on a low pay cheque. A little extra income on the side...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like