back to article Cosmic bonks, breakups led to birth of Saturn's moons as dinos died out

Had dinosaurs had telescopes, and the wherewithal to use them, they could have seen a series of cosmic prangs around Saturn that created new moons. As far as we can tell, Saturn has 62 moons in orbit around the gas giant all moving in different planes, as well as the planet's famous ring systems. A team from the SETI Institute …

1. Bruce Woolman
    Alien

"If only we had been around to see such a sight.." Well, we would not have been around much longer after we saw it.

2. MrT

Cosmic shotgun...

Evidence of collisions are all over Saturn's moons; it's not just Minas that has huge impact craters - outer moons like Iapetus, Hyperion, even the inner tiddlers like Epimetheus look like targets for objects big enough to break them up, but not quite going that far. What with half in retrograde, Trojans and consistencies ranging from rock to icy sponge, the whole system looks like it's the result of a giant Kessler event.

Or maybe Mimas really is the Death Star, but ran out of power after practising on a few inner moons and has been out of action gathering dust for a while now...

1. Gordon 10
      Mushroom

Re: Cosmic shotgun...

Gathering dust or charging up?

1. Sir Sham Cad

I don't think the original design Death Stars required charging up. We see the second Death Star in RoTJ happily repeatedly blasting the shit out of rebel capital ships with the super laser.

Starkiller Base on the other hand...

1. Captain DaFt

"I don't think the original design Death Stars required charging up. We see the second Death Star in RoTJ happily repeatedly blasting the shit out of rebel capital ships with the super laser."

But on the other hand, if you have a super laser that can reduce an entire planet to rapidly spreading rubble, using it to zap relatively puny little capital ships probably doesn't even rate a twitch on the power gauge.

2. WalterAlter
      Boffin

Saturn in Mythology was Known as a "Sun"!

"Macrobius (5th century AD) presents an interpretation of the Saturnalia as a festival of light leading to the winter solstice.[38] The renewal of light and the coming of the new year was celebrated in the later Roman Empire at the Dies Natalis of Sol Invictus, the "Birthday of the Unconquerable Sun," on December 25.[39]"

Many other peoples referred to Saturn as a sun. The Mesopotamian sun god "Shamash" was the planet Saturn in their astronomy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamash. Extensive comparative mythology investigations have turned up some interesting ideas: https://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2004/arch/040923saturn-ancient.htm

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Saturn in Mythology was Known as a "Sun"!

Saturn was never a "Sun" (not even in Arthur C. Clarke novels), so what's up wth this citation?

1. WalterAlter

Re: Saturn in Mythology was Known as a "Sun"!

You are a textbook example of the primacy of a deduced point of view meeting new inductive data. It's what' wrong with science if not the world. Yah, new data is a bitch when it challenges old interpretations of old data. It's one of the largest hysteria inducing factors in human affairs. Comparative mythology establishes that the planet Saturn was featured in ancient pantheons as a "sun". There is no question as to inaccuracy of ancient text translation, it was known as "the best sun" and "the first sun". Read the research article at this link: http://qdl.scs-inc.us/2ndParty/Pages/7285.html and get back to me.

3. Grikath
      Pint

actually , we have already been shown who's really to blame....

Good Going, Skrat!!

3. Blitheringeejit
    Thumb Up

Phew

I used to think multiple moons would make nice eye-candy of an evening - but now I'm rather relieved that we only have the one.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Phew

Yeah, think of the tides.

4. Graham Marsden
    Unhappy

If dinosaurs had telescopes...

... 65 million years ago they'd maybe have been able to say "Oh shit..."

1. Tom 7

Re: If dinosaurs had telescopes...

it would have been cloudy - except on the nights they were invited over the really boring friends of the missus who need keeping in the good books for a reason I cant remember, or childs school do or something*.

Or at least that's my experience having shelled out for a really nice (so I'm lead to believe) 12"er.

*tonight is going to be brilliantly clear and my back has gone so no way I can cart the bugger outside.

1. Tikimon
        Joke

Re: If dinosaurs had telescopes...

"...having shelled out for a really nice (so I'm lead to believe) 12"er."

For you, or the missus?

SORRY, HAD TO!

5. x 7

"Or at least that's my experience having shelled out for a really nice (so I'm lead to believe) 12"er."

it'll only keep her happy if it has long-life batteries

6. mhenriday
    Boffin

Saturn's gravitational pull

«Due to its huge size, Saturn's gravitational pull is so strong, it causes geological activity in its moons.» While Saturn has a mass about 95 times as large as that of the Earth, its average density is less than 1/8 as large and the gravitational pull at its surface only 8.96 m/s², or about 92 % of that at the Earth's surface....

Henri

1. Richard Boyce

Re: Saturn's gravitational pull

It's not the strength of the pull per se that heats things up, it's variation in the strength of the pull as the moon varies its distance from the planet while following a non-circular obit. The stronger the pull the more the moon is stretched. As the pull alternately strengthens and relaxes, the moon is alternately pulled more and less out of shape from spherical, causing frictional heating.

Re: Saturn's gravitational pull

Tides.

And the Roche Limit for the Planet/Moon system which is not a fixed value but depends on relative size and whether that Moon is a heap of rubble/ice or nickel-iron.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The T Rex had hands...

...so it definitely could have held a telescope and focused it!

1. Michael Thibault

Re: The T Rex had hands...

>...so it definitely could have held a telescope and focused it!

Though not, apparently, for its own use. IOW, T-Rex wasn't much on flossing.

2. Captain DaFt

but arms too short for it to masturbate.

Hence its cranky demeanor.

1. x 7

hands may have been too short, but most reptiles have long prehensile tongues

they'd have to be careful with those teeth though

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shades of Velikovksy?

..I'll get my coat...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shades of Velikovksy?

More like Newton and whoever has put his name to the study of chaotic system.

2. WalterAlter

You mean Immanuel Velikovsky, colleague, close friend and early collaborator with Albert Einstein, that Velikovsky?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

early collaborator with Albert Einstein

One can be batshit crazy and commission Einstein to write a book, surprise.

Also that Wikipedia page has surprisingly little citations and "[citation needed]" markers, a slight warning sign in any case.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Velikovsky wasn't batshit crazy, just a little irreverent towards Occam's Razor: His hypotheses were way more extravagant than needed.

That doesn't of course make them wrong, and indeed, cosmic collisions are now known to have done all sorts of stuff in Earth's past, just not necessarily the stuff Immanuel claimed.

1. x 7

I still believe he was right about Ahkenaton being the origin of Jewish and Christian monotheism

That sounds at least plausible.

Also, Julian Jaynes' bold theory about mental reconfiguration may be true, who knows.

2. MT Field

That would be Jewish monotheism and a plausible theory. But we already know how Christianity came about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like