back to article Ad giant Google thinks its cloud biz could be bigger than its adverts

Google's third cloud developer conference is winding down, and two things are clear – that Google is willing to spend what it takes to become a major cloud player, and that it has a long way to go. "We wouldn't be scaling up in this way if we lost money every time we deployed and if we didn't think this is a real business," …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iCloud ... uCloud2.

iFart ... uFart2

2. jake Silver badge

So, paraphrasing ...

... Advertising isn't working for the goo-tards, so they will try to make money from five-year's ago "cloud" meme?

The mind absolutely boggles.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So, paraphrasing ...

Any particular form of advertising seems to be in decline as users habituate. Combine that with advertising crossing everyone's personal threshold of "F*ck it! I need an adblocker".

Yes, Google should diversify into the buzz industry. Who wouldn't buy some Google brand devOps?

3. Sil

Google's announcement underlines what we have known for years: while Amazon is the cloud's big daddy, Amazon is a company with a very very low profitability and limited financial means.

It won't be able to respond in kind every time big pocketed Google, Microsoft or IBM announce huge investments.

Hence, if AWS is as profitable as the new Amazon reporting says it is, it should be incorporated in its own company, totally independent of the rest of Amazon. This would enable it to borrow more and cheaper, or profit from a higher capitalization to grow externally on the cheap.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For some definitions of availability

Google's definition of "high availability" doesn't exclude 10 to 300 seconds of random glitching per day or severely degraded performance for unscheduled maintenance. Their product needs a lot of work.

1. PNGuinn
      Black Helicopters

Re: For some definitions of availability

If I was a suspicious, paranoid sort of guy I might wonder if random glitches might be caused by some sophisticated data mining algorithm ...

But I'm sure I'm not. Am I?

So it's all ok then. As you were.

5. captain veg Silver badge

ulterior motive

There's always one -- and it is always the same one -- where Google is concerned. When they're hosting everyone's content in their own data centres, discovery and indexing becomes trivially easy.

I used to wonder what they got out of providing high quality DNS resolvers for free, until it dawned on me that it crowdsources the discovery of new domains.

-A.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ulterior motive

"I used to wonder what they got out of providing high quality DNS resolvers for free, until it dawned on me that it crowdsources the discovery of new domains."

And that is bad because?

2. fuzzie

Re: ulterior motive

My theory has been that hosting free DNS gives them much much more data than, e.g. browser history from Chrome. The browser info is pretty obvious, but if they can associate every single DNS lookup your entire home network does with that IP, they've got a goldmine of "meta data". Sure, they can't tell which movie you're watching on Netflix, but they can see where you buy, chat, email, etc.

Aside: Many devices (Chromecast and maybe even Android) have Google DNS hard coded, though they'll usually fall back to the DHCP-provided DNS servers as plan B. I've got Google DNS blocked on my router.

6. Mikel

Good news for Google?

I hear their home Internet service is quite popular, and has the potential to bring good revenues as well.

7. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Happy

Soar into The Cloud with The Vulture

Ad giant Google thinks its cloud biz could be bigger than its adverts

How about a "The Register" branded Google cloud service with a custom version of StackDriver exhibiting BOFH and PFY personalities

1. PNGuinn
      Thumb Up

Re: Soar into The Cloud with The Vulture

B*****D!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like