back to article Excessive texting 'damages your health'

Sore neck? Aching thumbs? Creaking wrists? The cause may not be too many hours sat at the keyboard, but excessive texting - a physiotherapy body warns. According to The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP), text message injuries are especially common among the young. It recently surveyed 177 people aged between 16 and 24 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Gemmell
    Thumb Up

Yep, that'll fix the strain problems

"The guide advises texters to hold the phone’s screen in-front of their face, keep their hands close to their body, use both hands, take texting breaks and to “exercise” their hands."

So, you'd hold your phone with both hands, in front of your face, with your hands close to your body - kind of like a Gameboy for myopic people. Seems like that would lead to even more teenagers being killed by traffic when texting whilst crossing the road, since they'd be totally unable to see ahead of themselves. In which case, I'm strongly in favour.

2. Stef
    Thumb Down

Seriously?

"The CSP has created a five-step guide to safer texting,"

Here is my 1-step guide: Phone them.

If it is so important that you need to send 20 texts back and forth, just call the bloody person. It is a lot cheaper too.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Coat

Too much Max

"Pain in the wrists, arms, neck and shoulders is another sure sign that you’re an SMS addict."

Why did I read that as "S&M addict"?

Mine is the leather one with straps...

4. Steve
    Stop

1.4 billion

Even if that load were spread evenly over the entire population, that's 23 texts/person/day.

That can't be right. There's a proportion of the population who don't have phones, and a proportion who don't text.

Children (most) under about 7 don't have phones, and adults over a certain age are very unlikely to text at all (my gran for instance, or for that matter either of my parents).

I suspect that the figure includes a large number of automated texts.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<no title>

Phoning (usually) costs more and encourages the recipient to reply so you end up not being able to politely end the call. Texting is quick. What one needs is voice 2 text incorporated in every handset.

6. Chris Richards
    Paris Hilton

@AC

dirty texting in public would become a very embarrassing matter indeed if that became the norm.

And how would the younguns pronounce the sentences from which they've purged all vowels?

Paris, because I'm sure she's sent her fair share of filthy texts!

7. pctechxp

and your wealth

you end up out of pocket if you text too much

But like I've said before you get RSI if you text too much.

8. Bunglebear
    Paris Hilton

Text pain

So THATS why my right wrist is always hurting.

Paris as she loves a bit of wrist action.

9. Sceptical Bastard

& in txtspk...

stry is def rbbsh. msg me l8a

10. Antidisestablishmentarianist

I remember...

...seeing a guy on the bus some years ago who was txting furiously, whilst looking nonchalantly out the window. One word popped into my mind. Wanker.

That is all.

11. Bill Murty

a pain?

Receiving texts gives me a pain in the ass.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

<no title>

:-D

Well, I was thinking more of T2S being an optional setting, rather than obligatory. with an additional setting as to whether then conversion was to english or gibberish ;-)

Well the translation couldn't be any worse than predictive text.

This topic is closed for new posts.