back to article Google to unleash Android Pay on UK shoppers within 'months'

Google’s smartphone payment system, Android Pay, is coming to the UK “in the next few months". The payment service, released in September 2015, will début with a host of the UK’s retailers, banks and financial services institutions on board, Google said on Wednesday. Android Pay is already available in the US, with a claimed …

1. CAPS LOCK

Android Pay on millions of un-updateable devices...

.... what could possibly go wrong?

1. EvilGardenGnome

Re: Android Pay on millions of un-updateable devices...

Look, they're just offering a convenience service. Think of all the frustration you'll save when they don't even bother you to remove the money from your account. That's one less annoyance I have to deal with!

1. Steve Gill

Re: Android Pay on millions of un-updateable devices...

For extra convenience don't even bother looking at your bank statements

2. Jim 48

I'm going to lay my bet right now that it won't support rooted devices or Google Apps domains so I'll be SoL.

3. DrXym

I don't see any point to this

Most chip and pin cards have contactless payment these days. Where is the benefit of doing it on a phone? It's just Apple, Google et al trying to insert themselves as another middleman into the payment processing chain.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: I don't see any point to this

contactless cards can have their details slurped. They are know to be insecure.

This is the reason my only contactless card in an Oyster card (unregistered).

The fact that you don't need to carry the card (contactless or not) with you for Apple/Google Pay to work is an advantage. Now only if I had a smart phone capable of using this tech.

My nokia 6310 will just do its job of being a phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Contactless cards can be carried in a shielded wallet, if you're that paranoid. Contactless cards don't need my smartphone battery to hold up. Contactless cards allow me to choose which payment provider to use whenever I wish. Contacless cards don't pass yet more of my information to handset/OS providers. Contacless cards can be taken onto a beach, or swimming, and still work. Contactless cards can be easily cancelled and replaced. Contactless cards...

1. inmypjs Silver badge

"Contactless cards can be carried in a shielded wallet"

Contactless cards are crap technology that should never have got off the ground, but, banks have demonstrated for years that they are technically incompetent and care more about making money than about their customers.

The time saving of contactless cards comes from not having to enter a pin and have the transaction verified online. How much time does it take to stick a card in a slot? If you have more than one or want to keep it shielded you have to take it out of your wallet anyway.

As for Android pay - fuck google. Apple deliberately designed their system so they don't get to know what you bought. Google deliberately designed their system so they do get to know exactly what you bought and where. The amount of personal information Google attempts to collect and collate has no bounds.

If our government proposed to collect as much information about us as google does people would go ape-shit.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Apple deliberately designed their system so they don't appear to get to know "...etc. Sorted.

2. Velv
      Boffin

Can't speak for AndroidPay, but ApplePay tokenises the details from the App so that as they pass through the card machine and over the network they cannot be copied and used elsewhere.

If you just use your card (contactless or normal) then the card details can be stored or stolen and used elsewhere (and there are plenty of examples where this has happened with dodgy card machines and dodgy retailers).

4. Warm Braw

Deliveroo, whose jacketed bike riders...

... can mostly be found in Newcastle with permanent "L" plates, committing moving traffic offences. Can't actually say I've ever seen them deliver anything, possibly owing to the scarcity of "millennial office types" in this neck of the woods.

Still, it will be interesting to see the cultural mash-up when hipsterdom meets Greggs...

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

If you "don't believe in plastic" . . .

You'd have to be a friggin' numpty to think that this is better.

"Plastic" at least has some hardware security around it. It may be vulnerable, but it will not fall over if you download the wrong app.

6. Adam 52 Silver badge

Does anyone else do this when approaching a tube ticket barrier?

If the person in front reaches for a paper ticket you're OK. If they reach for an Oyster card then be prepared to stop for the second swipe. If they reach for a phone, swap barriers. If they try twisting their arm through all movements to try to pay with their watch...

7. ad47uk

i swapped my contactless card for a normal card, so the chance of me having this app on my phone is zero.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paypal are running a TV ad claiming to be the future of payment. As opposed to the 1990s dotcom era dog of payment.

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Mobile, smartphone based payments have become a huge opportunity for all concerned – phone makers, payment providers, businesses and banks."

And thieves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like