back to article New UK cyber security centre to work with Bank of England

The UK's new national cyber centre will collaborate with the Bank of England on new cyber security guidance for financial firms when it opens later this year, the government has said. The Cabinet Office announced that the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) will be based in London and start operating in October. It said one …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Is it only governments and military

that still use the word "cyber"?

Still, it sounds like a wicked biz to work for dude.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it only governments and military

I think pretty much - that and "Cool" companies.

People like me snicker when we hear the phrase because it reminds me of cybering back in the 90s

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I did some cybering in the mid-to-late 1980ies on a CDC Cyber, I forget the model. Using Fortran77, waiting for Fortran88 to be released soon... talk about a combo-breaker...

2. Joe Harrison

Even worse than "cyber" - I still remember the incredible cringe during presentations declaring that "the information superhighway" was the thing of the future.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"assist in the recovery of any stolen assets"

Um, look, it's nice to have a statement of intent, but if the IP was sent by email, that horse has bolted and closing the stable door won't bring it back.

Not even sure you'll really find out where it went either.

3. Martin hepworth

Action Fraud

AF would be alot more useful if you could put in actual details of the (attempted) fraud sich as email headers, caller-id info for Smishing stuff etc rather than just aggregating the info

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Insanity: doing the same and crazy thing over and over again ....

...... and expecting different results is evident everywhere

Good luck with that poisoned chalice of an desperate operation. Unfortunately for the Bank of England and the fiat capitalist system of mass population and mass product marketing command and control, has the abject failure of the Quantitative Easing Program exposed both real and virtual existential active persistent and active cyber threat platforms to whole new armies of state and non-state actors.

Far too little, much too late leaves stable doors ajar and horses bolted and major problems and crises in the works which cannot be undone or fixed in any usual or preferred manners. Completely new thinking requires a completely different set of new leaders for fixes which don’t rely on old and ancient weaknesses and vulnerabilities which are easily exploited …… and that requires novel intelligence sources to be providing mainstream media and wannabe smarter establishment systems, richer enriched and enriching information for broadbandcasting/mass perceptions management.

And that is both extremely rare and therefore can be horrendously expensive but as cheap as chips compared to the cost of the damage that can be so easily anonymously done without it and its IT Command and Media Control Programs.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Insanity, the Great Game, and how IT is Played to Win Win with Sad Mad and Bad Rad Losers

And there is here at least one El Reg commentard a’wondering on whether that which is lurking unsung and unpraised and unappraised in UK.gov kicks long awaited digi strategy into long grass, blames EU referendum recognises the dire straits need for greater beta seed feed of IT Command and Media Control Programs for AAA state and non-state actors, in order not to be extraordinarily rendered on the public media controlled stage as just coincidental inconsequential collateral extras with bit players roles ….. simple fluffers for bigger picture prime money shot action with climaxes.

For such is both the fate and destiny of that and those in both debt and intelligence deficit to Great Gamesplay.

1. Omar Smith
        Facepalm

Re: Insanity, the Great Game, and how IT is Played to Win Win with Sad Mad and Bad Rad Losers

"And there is here at least one El Reg commentard"

You're opinion is as valued as any other comentator on here.

"a’wondering on whether that which is lurking unsung and unpraised and unappraised in UK.gov kicks long awaited digi strategy into long grass"

I'm sorry but my intergalactic babelfish translator is having difficulty in following your thought processes:

ref: AAA action actors beta bigger bit climaxes coincidental collateral Command commentard Control controlled deficit digi dire El extraordinarily extras fluffers Gamesplay Great inconsequential intelligence IT Media media money non-state picture players prime Programs public Reg rendered roles seed shot simple stage state straits strategy ..

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Insanity: doing the same and crazy thing over and over again ....

"... Insanity: doing the same and crazy thing over and over again ....

...... and expecting different results is evident everywhere...

Nope. Read that twice and still don't get a word of it. Any chance of it in English?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Insanity: doing the same and crazy thing over and over again .... @AC

Here is a prime sub-prime example of that current crazy insanity which is destroying both systems and markets, and both at warp speeds too, AC ........ http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-23/alice-wonderland-why-everything-nonsense

And mainstream media's complicity in the non-investigative reporting of that sort of nonsense is another example of collective madness to consider as valid.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon