back to article FBI's Most Wanted: Syrian Electronic Army hacktivists

The FBI has placed suspected self-styled Syrian Electronic Army (SEA) hacktivists on its most wanted list, publicly naming members of the notorious group for the first time. Ahmad Umar Agha (AKA The Pro), 22, and Firas Dardar (AKA The Shadow), 27, were each charged with multiple conspiracies related to computer hacking. Peter …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mutiny

Attempting to cause mutiny in the US army sounds awesome. Would want that on my rap sheet.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Mutiny

I'm afraid it may come with a free ride to an undisclosed location in an unmarked plane though.

1. Fungus Bob
        Facepalm

"in an unmarked plane"

An unmarked, plain what? Err.....nevermind....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "SEA hacktivists gained control over a US Marine Corps recruitment website through a third party before posting a defacement encouraging US marines to "refuse [their] orders."

Talk about clueless. When patriotic young men in the US go to join up, those with the biggest clangers generally go to the Marines, as they should. The Marines are the designated shock troops for their country, after all. It's what they do.

No, these *hackers* would be better served to try for the regular army recruiters. Good luck with that tho. We haven't had a draft since I were a lad. The all-volunteer US Army tends to have pretty damned good morale, as you would expect, being attached to the worlds best-equipped military machine.

But, I suppose this "Disobey your superiors!" exhortation might work in some places. Hey, maybe they're really referring to all that PC crap being forced into the military by Obama. "Don't let that officer tell you gay soldiers are okay! It's against Allah!" Hmmmm...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dumb patriotic yanks think they're fighting for their country and "constitutional rights", rather than for corporate profits.

Poor brainwashed fools. Their oligarchs wipe their arse with the constitution.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually, we don't take in dumb ones. They're too likely to get us killed. Hell, I've served with US Marines and never, ever came across a dumb one. Lacking in sense? Yeah.

As for the brainwashing part, everyone I ever served with knew we were tools. Very much a standard world-wide, near as I can tell. I still think the West is a much better place which is probably why people are literally dying to get here.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I still think the West is a much better place which is probably why people are literally dying to get here."

Everyone in the world thinks their country is the best. That's just how nationalism works. You couldn't spot the dumb ones because you ARE the dumb ones. As for the very real economic inequality which pulls migration, America has done more than its fair share to case that.

We need to abolish your way of thinking, America, and national borders in that order.

Living in very many countries has vaccinated me against nationalistic thinking.

1. Yag

There's a thin difference between saying something is better and something is the best.

I won't argue it's better to live in Iran than in Syria, to live in Argentina instead of Iran, to live in US instead of Argentina. It does not means that US is "the best". (<joke>because everyone knows that Mighty Korea is the best, all thanks to the Glorious Leader. </joke>)

No, I'm not a yank, and the differences between my country and US does not justify -for me- the hassle to try to go and live there.

The differences between each of "the western countries" (Assuming it means US + UE + Japan + south korea +... This term lost its meaning a long time ago actually) are so thin that "the best" is mostly a personnal opinion, often biased towards its own country mainly due to the fact that the natives are used to its perks and quirks, not just "dumb nationalism".

Furthermore, Loving your country does not means you have to hate the others.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Everyone in the world thinks their country is the best. That's just how nationalism works. You couldn't spot the dumb ones because you ARE the dumb ones."

As are we all, and that won't be changing. And neither will game theory, which impels politics, nationalism, war, etc. So please spare us the lectures, okay?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: yank logic

Lol @ yank logic. Drone strike every one's infrastructure. "Oh look everyone is trying to come here. We must be super good!"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Attempting to cause mutiny in the US army sounds awesome. Would want that on my rap sheet."

So in essence, they

a) did minor vandalism

b) said stuff the FBI doesn't like in that vandalism

b) is protected free speech. If it wasn't Glenn Beck would long be in jail.

So the "mutiny" thing, the "stock market dip" thing, etc. is fluff to make the vandalism charge sound more serious.

You're safe.

2. Tromos

Not the classic style of poster

"by the FBI" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Dead or Alive"

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Not the classic style of poster

They can't hack the San Bernardino iPhone if they're dead. I wonder how much the FBI is willing pay these consultants if it's $100k for just the finder's fee.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agha and Dardar at Syria

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

1. JohnnyGStrings

Re: Agha and Dardar at Syria

The walls fell.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simples, the FBI has no jurisdiction over foreign nationals, so are being damned cheeky!

The USA empire is effectively and offensively involved in an illegal war with Syria, both virtually and physically, including complicit US organisations, so these entities are fair game for counter attacks and psy-ops. These criminals should consider themselves lucky that there are no (publicly known) physical attacks yet by Syrian interests..

I'm not Syrian and prefer that violence was not necessary, but people need to be able to defend themselves against violent people.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like