back to article Google buys NetApp ... buildings

NetApp is selling eight office buildings in Sunnyvale to Google for $250m, with the option to lease back the space. The details are in a NetApp 8K form filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission. The sale is expected to close by April 22, and NetApp has the right to lease some of the properties on terms to be agreed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everybody Relax...

... It's business as usual!

1. admiraljkb

Re: Everybody Relax...

*If* it was to a normal Property Management type group, then yeah, it would be completely normal. BUT, by selling the buildings to Google and doing a leaseback, means they are planning on some "strategic reductions" of many of those sites/employees which gives Google the opportunity to move employees in slowly (or maybe quickly) over time. I'd be real nervous if I were a NetApp employee in one of those buildings.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like just how IBM started down that rocky road to an ever shrinking company.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and so it begins

NetApp. The next Sun Microsystems

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: and so it begins

... or the next Novell. I remember in their latter years they were making more money off patents and other non-core investments than their actual products.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SGI unloaded a bunch of buildings to Google way back when as well. Apparently the chocolate factory has had success snapping up overbuilt real estate from 90's era hardware companies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Burrowing owls

They should break down the buildings, re-create the natural areas that were lost and create more habitat for the endangered burrowing owl. Do no evil, right?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You are correct, considering how many ex Sun Microsystems employees work at NetApp.

They're familiar with downward spiralling companies and will likeley cause NetApp's culture to disintegrate.

I was at Sun when they tanked and the backstabbing, office politics and favoriteism was at the same time awe inspiring and appalling.

They will find a new host to latch onto...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly... That is what has happened with Netapp.

Too much favouritism and spineless management.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't call it management. More like "annual leave approval team".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like