back to article Heads up, rocket fans: Soyuz launch tonight

There are worse thing to be doing on a Friday night than quaffing a few beers while watching a mighty lifter thunder aloft, so get a few cold ones ready in the fridge and plump up the sofa cushions in preparation for tonight's Soyuz launch to the International Space Station. Jeff Williams, Oleg Skripochka and Alexei Ovchinin …

1. x 7

Ovchini looks a bit constipated

2. Alister

Well that all went very smoothly.

3. Swiss Anton
    Pint

Pink Owl

Is space travel becoming so mundane now that the taxi has to have a fluffy pink owl toy hanging from its rear view mirror, but then again I liked the way the owl floated out of view after the 3rd stage engine was shut down and the spacecraft entered free fall (aka zero G). That sort of thing doesn't happen here on earth when I'm in a taxi going back home from the pub on a Friday night, not even after more than a few beers.

1. Vulch

Re: Pink Owl

It's traditional. Each crew picks their own thing to hang there, toy rockets, fluffy owls and giraffes, R2D2... I don't think anyone has used a pair of fluffy dice, but it's probably only a matter of time...

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Is space travel becoming so mundane now that the taxi has to have a fluffy pink owl toy hanging from its rear view mirror"

ISTR some comment by Tim Peake at the peak of Peakmania when he went up, that there was some reason for it. Something along the lines of a visible representation of the force of gravity, especially for the "passengers".

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Did someone say space taxi?

4. Mark 85

It's been a long time since I've watched a live launch due to work and other obligations. It's still a thrill to watch it leave the pad and all the inside shots were great.

They looked relaxed during this launch. One reading a somethingPad, the second following what looked like a checklist, and the third one just looking like he's on the morning commute.

5. Johndoe888

It really needs Howard Wolowitz screaming during the launch to add some excitement.

1. Alister

It really needs Howard Wolowitz screaming during the launch to add some excitement.

Actually I was thinking how very relaxed about it they were compared to American launches I've seen.

This is in no way a criticism of the Russians, though, I thought it was refreshing to see how matter-of-fact they were about the whole thing - calm professionalism instead of artificial drama.

6. Camilla Smythe

Bugger.

Missed it, mine was the seat on the right. I do wish you reg arses would give proper warning.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like