back to article FreeBSD crushes system-crashing bug

Sysadmins ought to patch their FreeBSD systems after an irritating bug was found in the kernel. A programming blunder involving integer signedness can be exploited by a logged-in user to crash a system. With the right parameters, you can trick the kernel into clearing too much of its heap memory with zeros via the sysarch …

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Friday afternoon, is it?

The operating system had an integer signedness error that resulted in a heap overflow in the kernel vulnerability

I just got back from the pub, is it just me, or does that sentence not actually make sense?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Friday afternoon, is it?

Apart from signedness it looks as like a case of "all the right words but not necessarily in the right order". I'd have thought a visit to the pub might have helped you to mentally rearrange them. Maybe you should have stayed for another round.

2. Notas Badoff
      Pint

LGTM; ship it!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Trollface

Should have stayed in the pub, the writer obviously did!

(The operating system had a kernel vulnerability due to an integer signedness error that resulted in a heap overflow?)

3. User McUser
      Pint

I just got back from the pub, is it just me, or does that sentence not actually make sense?

It's one of those "I shot an elephant in my pajamas" parsing issues that make English such a great language.

The vulnerability is of the "heap overflow in the kernel" type, rather than there being a "heap overflow" in the "kernel vulnerability."

4. PhoenixRevealed

While clumsy, it is grammatically correct. I suspect what has you flummoxed is the last part, which sounds like it should end after the word "kernel". The integer signedness fault, however, doesn't cause a heap overflow in the kernel, it makes the kernel VULNERABLE to a heap overflow.

Clear as mud.

2. storner
    WTF?

Out-of-order execution perhaps?

a means for local unprivileged attackers to crash the system before executing arbitrary code

Me thinks crashing the system would prevent any code - arbitrary or not - from running, no?

1. PNGuinn
      Headmaster

Re: Out-of-order execution perhaps?

In the English Language?

3. The Count

I'm starting to think

The English language has become to complicated for the English citizenry to understand. No wonder I never understand all those references to 1960s era TV show.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

FreeBSD critical bug

There's something you don't hear about every other day.... unlike -->

Happy to say I heard it first from the freebsd security advisories mailing list, not here!

5. captain veg Silver badge

I might as well be first

Having not been to the pub, allow me to be first to point out that *BSD is not "Unix-like".

-A.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I might as well be first

Yup. The *BSDs are derivatives of BSD Unix, itself derived from an early version of AT&T Unix which was unencumbered open-source (historically the norm, except for the last two decades of the 20th century).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like