back to article Apple is sorry (again) over MobileMe

Apple's new MobileMe service suite has lost some emails. And the company is very sorry. The consumer electronics giant said one per cent of users have permanently lost some of the email messages sent to them between 18 July and 22 July. Apple has established a MobileMe status page. This is to be updated every other day - at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jim Oase

Still a 1%er

Some email service via web only returned a couple of days ago. The "some" is limited to a email from July 24th on. None of the previous email has appeared yet.

According to blogs and articles Apple has never intended the dot Mac or the new Me Generation products for business use. I think implying that the service is not intended to be reliable. So far that is an accurate statement.

So who is Apple's market for the Me Generation product? Who doesn't expect reliability from the products they buy?

I bought several accounts for my family so they could have email and iChat. So far no one is using the Cloud, syncing their calendar or using the extremely slow iDisk. As a result of this outage I have found that gMail works like Apple Mail and I suspect if I look around their is another version of iChat that will work. The one person I really want to iChat with is my son in Portland but Comcast took exception to using video. Make buying Me Generation products look less attractive, especially at this time.

Can you imagine being in the meeting that came up with the Cloud metaphor, thinking adults would think Cloud would be a good name?

Jim

2. Gareth Irwin

iChat

works with AIM, and always has you never needed .Mac accounts to use it.

3. Robert Simpson

all fine except...

...mail.app.

Everything syncs fine for me. Only problem is that I can't actually send emails using Mail, it just keeps saying the server won't allow the message to be sent, which is a bit of a pain. I'm using OS10.4.11 just in case anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Robert

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Jesse Dorland

Apple is going to the dogs

As a mac user I have never been able to log onto my ichat acccount -- i have one of these "free account". I say screw iChat, and what's with the i on everything?

i THIS I TELL YOU!!!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Robert

Yep, I'm getting intermittent errors with Mail refusing to send messages using the correct servers. To be fair though, this problem pre-existed long before MobileMe was dumped on us.

I've found I can normally get the message to bugger off to where its meant to go by using the resend button on the error window. If that doesn't work, quitting Mail and restarting usually gets Mail to do what it's meant to do.

Of course the most important question is - what's WebsterPhreaky's take on all this?

7. Lance

It should be free by now

I wonder if anyone will have to pay for service at the rate they are going.

8. Graham Lockley

Remarkably constrained reaction

... on the Reg, very unusual.

Had this been MS with Hotmail I'm sure the post count would have topped a thousand in the first minute, with a high percentage containing words like 'shite', 'Microshaft', 'beast' etc.

Of course by the time this post gets moderated, our very own WP will probably have given his own special view :)

9. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .... TOO FUNNY Kool Aid Drinkers!! THAT's what.

Geez, no spelling ridicule for the dope who says "How does the SHOW feel on the other foot? (shoe, stupid) .... Oh but of course, he's one of you AppleTards, so it's OK.

Anyway, my take? Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .... WHAT DO YOU EXPECT from the most F*#Ked Up company in the Techno-Gizmo market? Does a DAY go by that the Stupertino Tards don't screw something up, whether it's a Mac, and iPud, AppleTard OS X or i(cr)Apps, or the iPhony?? NO!!

You AppleTards get what you deserve ..... Premium Bugs and the Apple Premium Price.

Look! It's Stevie and Uncle Al Gore waiving DOWN at you from Stevie's Private carbon spewing Jet!!

10. Peter
    Unhappy

Blah

All I want is that stupid MobileMe icon to disappear from my control panel. :(

11. heystoopid
    Paris Hilton

Well

Well , at least 24 out of 25 much smarter other users in the wild have avoided this trouble altogether !

New line for the Apple Add as PC says to MAC "I see your having trouble with your mail now too , can I help you ?" !!!!!

12. Matthew Davies
    Paris Hilton

@Webster Phreaky

I love it when people are quick to point out others typos that they introduce their own.

When you said 'whether it's a Mac, and iPud, AppleTard OS X or i(cr)Apps, or the iPhony?'

I assume you meant 'whether it's a Mac, an iPud, AppleTard OS X, i(cr)Apps, or the iPhony?'

I put it to you that you are the 'Stupid' one!

Paris as she gets confused by the language we've all agreed to use!

13. Shoseki
    Coat

Better than losing some email to the Noid...

/learns fast

14. Christopher
    Boffin

Crackberry

I'm sure every such services will have teething problems, when its bedded down I imagine it will be as reliable as the blackberry service.

15. Ascylto

This is completely unacceptable!

I have been waiting patiently for an email from Mrs Ubunga Ubunga, wife of Mr Obonga Ubunga, the recently deceased Fiduciary Director of the Bank of Kadangaland who want to give me £30,000,000,000 (Thirty Trillion Pounds) so long as I use it diligently. She is, of course, suffering from terminal 5 disorder.

Come on Steve ... get it sorted before I lose the dosh!

16. Chris Hamilton
    Gates Halo

Where's the unjustified and ill-informed anger?

If this had been a problem involving Microsoft, Google, Yahoo! or any of the various Telcos then there would have been all cries of derision from Apple fans everywhere claiming that this would never have happened in MacWorld.

But, when it does happen in MacWorld, all of a sudden its normal teething problems and the excuses flow wildly.

Face up to the truth at Apple. Formerly a company that sold good, solid, reliable computers. Now so widely diversified and overpriced that quality control appears to have gone out the window.

17. Scott Mckenzie

As with everything...

...if there is a problem (and nothing is perfect) it's all about how a company deals with it, sure this is a pain, but to be fair to Apple they're offering plenty of information and updates about what has happened and what they're doing to fix it...

Very few other companies do this at all.

18. heystoopid
    Happy

@scoot

@scoot surely you jest or have forgotten much about "apache" regular hot run security updates other then a certain household name brand servers that need cold reboots to fix said problems rather then on the fly as is possible with the former !

19. Keith Spencer
    Paris Hilton

Pants

Normally I'm very happy with the vast majority of mac stuff I buy. However, Mobile Me is pants, or at least some of it is. Sync is, quite frankly, a load of steaming poo. Contacts on the cloud get push to my iPhone no problem. Really nice. But. Trying to push that back to both my macs simply doesn't function. At all. And it seems that is is a bug that's been around since day one. This is probably one of the most important features; the exchange concept. Except none of my computers except the iphone are in sync. Oh well. Maybe I'll keep my stuff on ther server and pray that they back it up.... Paris. For no reason.

20. Law
    Jobs Horns

iChat kinda sucks

Just use Adium - it's the best chat client I've used, and I've used them all.

I won't be bothering with MobileMe - not just because of all their issues, but also based on the scandalous price Apple are asking for the service.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@ Webster Phreaky

You got Issue's man!

Must be overly jealous or compensating for that last BSOD on your poor pathetic Vista machine.

BTW... is it just me... or is it only the smart mac users are the only ones who DONT have problems with the new switch over.

That says something don't it?

I don't like the new name... but other than that... its still .Mac to me...

: O P

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Beta Test Next Time??

Maybe they should try Beta testing next time. It usually helps. I did not have mail for days, there was no forwarder for the old .Mac login, I was not notified ahead of time. No the email server is so sluggish, it takes twice as long to view and delete your mail/SPAM. I am debating dropping the service now.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

MacTard

Wondered how long it would be before a fanboi started shouting "it ain't as bad as Vista"

Gotta love the macs

24. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

@ Matthew Davies

Poor STUPID Matthew Davis, quick to IGNORE Spelling and Grammar Stupidity by Fellow MacTards, but wrangle with intentional ones that I post. But, lets take a look at the apparently STUPID Matthew Davis!! --

QUOTE: "I put it to you that you are the 'Stupid' one!" TRY using proper English grammatical PUNCTUATION moron Matthew Davies. Like this - I put it to you, (COMMA) that you are the 'Stupid' one!

And YOU ARE the STUPID ONE, Matthew Davis. Hah ha ha! Got ya.

Back to school, stupid - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_(punctuation)

Now the shoe (not show) is on the other foot .... way up your arse, with your head.

25. aL
    Thumb Down

quickly

fellow mac fans, point out their bad spelling and gramatics and throw in a few vista sucks posts!!

then they might forget about the mobileMe issues!

or not..

there is absolutly no excuse for mobileMes poor launch. most of the features come from .mac anyway so teething problems arent a valid excuse anyway

a cloud service that actually costs money for users (there arent that many of those on the web) and that comes from a company that consantly brags about how everthing they make just works and how much everyone else sucks, really REALLY should work better than this (and work at all in some cases)

26. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

i don't use an iphone

but then again, i'm not iStupid either.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like