back to article Too Naked for the Nazis streaks to literary glory

Author Alan Stafford has secured himself a place in literary history for his triumph in the 38th Diagram Prize for Oddest Book Title of the Year with his masterwork Too Naked for the Nazis. Stafford was up against stiff competition for the crown, placed annually on the laureate's head by The Bookseller, following a public vote …

1. Chris Miller

Reading from Behind: A Cultural History of the Anus.

Is it by any chance a guide to the chief town of Berkshire?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. theModge

Re: Reading from Behind: A Cultural History of the Anus.

A place equally famous for it's Hunt.

Not a lot of people know that's rhyming slang. Berkshire Hunt. Berk.....

1. DryBones
        Coat

Re: Reading from Behind: A Cultural History of the Anus.

Is it a tripe hunt?

2. hplasm
    Coat

A Cultural History of the Anus

Sequel to the poplular work 'Prehistoric Anuses.'

A forerunner to Hansard.

1. Chemical Bob

Re: A Cultural History of the Anus

I hope this book is nothing like "An Anal History of Culture". That book was full of of shit!

1. Fungus Bob

Re: A Cultural History of the Anus

Well, the author was anyway....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As much as the reviews, the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section of the Amazon page for "How to Avoid Huge Ships" repays exploration. Mr. Haines will be pleased to know that one of the less strange and random items that it includes is the Playmobil Security Checkpoint.

1. Cynic_999

As a result of a previous suggestion I looked up "How to Avoid Huge Ships" on Amazon, and the search term also came up with "Images You Should Not Masturbate To" ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Images-You-Should-Not-Masturbate/dp/0399536493/ ), which I am sure will make a far better birthday present for a teenage relative ...

4. lansalot

Never read "A cultural history of the Anus", but I did glance a "A passage of time". I presume it's a similar story.

5. Alexander J. Martin

A self portrait of Lester for the image, eh?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

That's me trying to establish my intellectual credentials when running for Russian president. Should have been on horseback, really.

1. Mark 85

Indeed and you should have been holding your pet tiger while riding the horse.

1. Rich 11

Indeed and you should have been holding your pet tiger while riding the horse.

Can we please not stoop to such vile idioms? I'm sure Lester doesn't deserve this degree of mockery.

1. Stoneshop
            Coat

Indeed

Can we please not stoop to such vile idioms? I'm sure Lester doesn't deserve this degree of mockery.

He should be holding his pet horse while riding his tiger.

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Happy

Lovely!

Brightened up a dull Friday afternoon as we approach beer o'clock. The book titles mentioned do remind me of some classic papers found in Annals of Improbable Research, such as:

Feline Reactions to Bearded Men

The Influence of Peanut Butter on the Earth's Rotation

or my own humble offering

A Quantum-mechanical Interpretation of Homeopathy

A preprint of the latter can be found here

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lovely!

You might want to steer that Homeo one in the direction of a certain John Benneth (on twitter as @JBennethJournal ) he'd lap it up. I think he's genuine, or a very good false flag.

2. frank ly

Thank you Michael. Re: Lovely!

"Quality control should therefore only be carried out by unconscious personnel."

I used to work in a place which seemed to follow that principle.

3. swampdog

"Feline Reactions to Bearded Men"

oo, lovely. I don't understand it.

"The Influence of Peanut Butter on the Earth's Rotation"

.. I'll go with the OP.

I didn't look at the letter. My mother warned me about that kind of thing.

4. John Presland

A brilliant contribution to discussion of the efficacy of homeopathy. Deserving of publication in journals other than El Learned Reg.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soviet Bus Stops

I have seen some pictures from this, and it is actually quite amusing. Think brutalist architecture meets Soviet space program. It is like a Soviet equivalent of those awful giant plastic advertising statues you see in the less civilised parts of the US.

1. Geoffrey W

Re: Soviet Bus Stops

You inspired me to go look and you're right; some of those artifacts are just awesome, and future archaeologist confounding for sure. Beats all those signs on a stick that we have. Or would have if we had buses. I suspect most of these originate in the grand old days of the USSR. As for your USA reference; Plastic/Concrete; sums up the two cultures somehow.

2. Rich 11

Less?

3. Sandtitz Silver badge

There are plenty of soviet era bus stops in the Baltics. Some look like they doubled for air raid / fallout shelters for 100 people or more. Too bad they're in bad shape, with the paint gone long time ago and the concrete slowly eroding.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Even stranger: war memorials in former Youguslavia

http://www.spiegel.de/einestages/bizarre-kriegsdenkmaeler-a-947218.html

8. Cynic_999

Your bookshelf should also include

"Surfing on Horseback"

"Teach Yourself Series: Brain Surgery"

"Trans-Siberia by Hunchback"

"The Great Western Aeroplane Canal"

I printed these and several other titles as book covers and placed them on random books in the library.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: Your bookshelf should also include

Might as well include "Baby's Revenge" by Nora Titoff for old times' sake then.

9. Jock in a Frock

How about 'The Perfect Brazilian' by Anita Bush?

10. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Well I'm off

to work on my manuscript of 'Tintin and the Lesbian Separatist Collective Mystery'. Tens if not hundreds of sales await.

On second thoughts I'll let someone else do it. I'd rather have the plonk.

11. cd / && rm -rf *
    Facepalm

Opportunity missed.

"with his masterwork Too Naked for the Nazis"

Golden opportunity to use meisterwerk missed there.

12. Individual #6/42

Alan Coring

Been done before http://www.deutschlanduberelvis.com/blog/2011/11/let-me-explain.html

13. ShrNfr

Well, the author of "behind" is: Jonathan A. Allan is Canada Research Chair in Queer Theory and Associate Professor of Gender and Women’s Studies at Brandon University.

Why am I not surprised?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon