back to article A third of Australians lose mobile services after Telstra outage

Australian incumbent telco Telstra has been forced to offer another day of free mobile data after a nationwide outage knocked out mobile services for eight million customers across the country. The carrier says the cause of the outage, the second in about a month, was an offshore connection issue affecting international …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Elop ?

Has Elop struck already ?

1. Lyle Dietz

Re: Elop ?

It's funny, because when I heard about this when I got to work this morning I was thinking the same thing.

2. P. Lee

Re: Elop ?

The Chuck Norris of IT asset strippers - his name appears on the payroll and the IT dismantles itself.

2. Youngone Silver badge

Antipodeans?

Hey, are you lumping us Kiwis in too?

1. Adam 1

Re: Antipodeans?

Yes. Problems were reported from Longreach down to Melbourne, so Bondi was affected too.

3. MrDamage Silver badge
    FAIL

What a fucking joke.

Here, we've managed to screw up plenty of businesses that rely on our data services during the week, so we'll compensate you with free data on a Sunday when nobody will be working.

That's like Microsoft apologising to people who had a Win10 force bork their computers by offering them a free version of Vista.

1. Benno

Re: What a fucking joke.

Exactly - I have about 2000 Telstra mobile accounts at work, and because I couldn't use connectivity on my phone, tablet or laptop, I couldn't check how many were offline (during a peak customer period)...

Once I got home to fixed internet, I was able to tell that most things were offline for at least an hour, the saving grace is that a large number of customers at that time would have been on mobile too, so a significant % of them probably didn't know we were offline.

Free data on a Sunday?! What about all the loss of revenue for business where EFT transactions didn't go through and the customer walked?

What about the loss of SCADA to remote power/water/etc. monitoring systems? How much went or will still go wrong as a result of this outage?

Not saying that a compensation plan is easy to determine, but reliable communications is usually categorised as critical national infrastructure - a partial outage of which is a _big_ deal.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What a fucking joke.

"Free data on a Sunday?! What about all the loss of revenue for business where EFT transactions didn't go through and the customer walked?

What about the loss of SCADA to remote power/water/etc. monitoring systems? How much went or will still go wrong as a result of this outage?"

That's going to depend on your SLA surely? And if you bought a product with an SLA that doesn't meet the requirements of your business, I don't think that's Telstra's fault. A single four hour outage still meets three nines. How many nines are you paying for?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like