back to article Irish shun beer, whiskey in favour of … wine

Amateur drinkers will be cramming into Irish pubs the world over tonight to slurp Guinness and neck whiskey (with an e) in honour of St Patrick. But the citizens of the Emerald Isle will be as likely to toast their patron saint with a full-bodied Shiraz or a well-oaked Chardonnay, shocking research revealed this week. An …

1. John Sturdy
    Pint

Irish alchohol licencing

Possibly something to do with it being easier in Ireland to get a licence to sell wine than to sell other alcohol; see Wine Retailer's On Licence (which also applies to "off" sales, as the web page points out, or as you can find by asking any Irish village shopkeeper).

1. Little Mouse

Re: Irish alchohol licencing

"asking any village shopkeeper"

No chance. Not since watching League of Gentlemen...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alcohol Action Ireland

What kind of person wakes up in a morning and thinks: "Right, today I'm going to join an organisation who's goal it is to reduce what other people drink." ?

Seriously? I mean, I can understand the case for it - it's allegedly harmful if you have wine on your cornflakes, but I can't imagine what kind of person would actively campaign against it voluntarily.

1. adnim
      Joke

Re: Alcohol Action Ireland

"it's allegedly harmful if you have wine on your cornflakes"

Citation, else I am not going to stop.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Joke

Okay then. Here is a Citation.

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Okay then. Here is a Citation

And another: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/CC-35-114-800.jpg

1. Chemical Bob

Re: Okay then. Here is a Citation

And another: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/683964179594768384/GSuL7JFe_400x400.jpg

2. Whiskers

>> "it's allegedly harmful if you have wine on your cornflakes"

Citation, else I am not going to stop.<<

Omit the cornflakes. Rolled oats are more absorbant.

1. Chris G

If you want something interesting to soak up wine; some years ago I took a camper to the continent via P&O ferries, they were giving a 6 pack of half bottles of wine away to each adult so we had 24 halves of cheap wine. On a break for lunch I opend a bottle and found veering towards chip dressing then while eating a few ginger biscuits for a roadside dessert I inadvertantly dunke a ginger biccy into the wine, it really improved the wine and didn't hurt the biccies either!

Living in Spain I get to 'test' a lot good wines cheaply, I can thoroughly recommend Cune a Rioca from the Valencia region, I have yet to have a poor bottle. The one I have open at the moment is a Crianza.

2. Joe 37

Once had vodka and Coke on my cornflakes as the milk had gone off.

Never again. And that was 35v years ago...

3. werdsmith Silver badge

"organisation who's goal it is to reduce what other people drink"

Not new. They were always known as a "Temperence Movement".

1. Baskitcaise
        Coat

Re: "organisation who's goal it is to reduce what other people drink"

If I have a "Temperance Movement" I find half a gallon of Guinness helps. Oh I thought you said "temperamental" sorry I will get me coat it's the one with the pint sized pockets.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

Bizzarro World

I read an article stating that France is becoming (or wants to become) the Scotch capital of the world?

What's next? Mexico becoming the Vodka capital of the world? Prague is the Tequila capital?

I think I need a drink ;-}

1. Paul Woodhouse

Re: Bizzarro World

I'd say Taiwan has a good chance of taking that title (they make bloody good whisky themselves too)... they do drink rather a lot in France as well though although both places seem to prefer sherry bombs rather than peat monsters which I find rather puzzling...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The best blended malt is Japanese.

1. Fibbles

If you say so. I've tried various blends and single malts from Japan, including something from Nikka which was 'critically acclaimed'. Some of it was decent, a lot of it tasted like it'd been in the cask for less than a year.

1. Paul Woodhouse

hmm, aye, I don't really get on with Japanese whisky either, I've sampled a few and they've all been 'nice' but I've never sampled one thats made me get my wallet out there and then and buy the bottle, Kavalan from Taiwan on the other hand is bloody awesome, if you just wanna get wrecked though, then yeah, go for Gao Liang Jiu, makes Tequila seem a bit wussy....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Paul Woodhouse - Re: Bizzarro World

They wish! It might be good but it's still not whiskey!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Drink May Change

But in good old Irish tradition the evening will be rounded off with a punch up.

5. Fraggle850

A couple of lines from one of yer man McGowan's songs seems appropriate

I am going, I am going any which way the wind may be blowing

I am going, I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing

Presumably the winds are blowing in the direction of France then?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Go

In other news--pigs can fly!!

Please review my paper "Aerodynamic Potentialities of Unassisted Porcine Fauna"

7. captain veg Silver badge

MDMA

"neck whiskey (with an e)"

Are you suggesting that readers enjoy their whiskey with a little something extra?

-A.

1. Fibbles
      Boffin

Re: MDMA

The only thing known to man to be worse than a whiskey hangover is experiencing a whiskey hangover and a comedown simultaneously.

Allegedly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: MDMA

Allegedly that's how the Yorkshire gurning competition came about, e by gum.

8. thomas k

Well, I guess this means ...

the zombie apocalypse can't be far behind.

9. Mage Silver badge

Cheese?

Probably An Teagasc and the NDC promote Cheese in Ireland.

There is a MASSIVE variety of Irish cheeses, today, a far cry from 30 years ago when there was Galtee processed cheese, Calvita milder processed cheese and rather suspiciously rubbery "Chedder" style cheese.

There is Cow, Goat and Sheep cheeses, in Danish, English, Swiss, French and Greek styles as well as local styles.

10. Herby

Choices, choices...

Jameson, or Bushmills

Green or Orange??

Life goes on.

11. Unicornpiss
    Pint

Everyone must pitch in

Everyone must do their part to make up for the declining consumption in Ireland lest Guinness and assorted distilleries go bankrupt. It's a tough task, but I think we're all equal to the challenge and should step up to answer the call.

12. veti Silver badge

Most successful marketing campaign ever...

... award goes to Guinness, for "St Patrick's Day", and the ever-growing global chain of "Irish pubs".

Guinness sells more of that clammy tar they have the nerve to pass off as "beer" in Nigeria than they do in Ireland, where (I presume, and this story seems to bear out) the natives have better taste.

13. a_yank_lurker

Going Scotch-Irish

Go Appalatician - Moonshine

14. Oengus
    Pint

Visit

I have an upcomming visit to the Emerald Isle (My niece now lives in Galway). I will try to do my bit to raise the averages...

It is Friday here in Oz. The St. Patrick's Day madness is over for another year. Now to start some serious research into good Irish Whiskeys.

Beer because there is no whiskey icon...

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Visit

I'm off to Galway for Easter, so I'll listen out for the Aussie accents.

Not to just drink to be drunk for the sake of it though, that's what thickos do regardless of what nation.

Probably be West Cost Cooler (Kiwler).

15. Barry Mahon

All terribly funny. However, alcohol related violence, illness, anti-social behaviour and the like have been increasing too.

Where is the glamour in getting rat arsed on17 March??

BTW, I am Oirish, not anti alcohol, just not stupid, I hope.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

The glamour is one of those stupid peer things that nobody stops to think about and so people still admire people who make themselves ill.

You are smart though, as are most of your compatriots.

16. Allan George Dyer
    Headmaster

"the average Irish adult consumed a touch over 11 litres of pure alcohol"

Wait - they sell pure alcohol in Irish off licenses?

1. Santa from Exeter

Pure Alcohol

No, but a good poitín comes close

17. tiggity Silver badge

units

Wine consumption in litres - fair enough, (though converting to 75 cl bottles would arguably be more meaningful

However, please convert beer consumption into pints as you are supposed to be a .uk website!

18. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

"DRINK! FECK! ARSE! GIRLS!"

Father Jack would not approve.

19. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Noooooooo

"But the citizens of the Emerald Isle will be as likely to toast their patron saint with a full-bodied Shiraz or a well-oaked Chardonnay, shocking research revealed this week."

I hope I never live to see "Shiraz" or "Chardonnay" supplanting names such as "Sinead" or "Ciara"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like