back to article Jump aboard our load balancing Maglev, Google tells devs

Google will open-source its super-duper load balancing Maglev tool to developers – a move that will also bolster its own infrastructure developments. In a blog post Google said it has a history of building its own networking gear, "and perhaps unsurprisingly, we build our own network load balancers as well, which have been …

1. Efros

Maglev

Just a contraction of magnetic levitation, which the Japanese train uses as its mean of propulsion. The train in your linked article is the SCMaglev, Super Conducting Maglev train.

1. ICPurvis47

Re: Maglev

Seems to me that everyone has forgotten the original Maglev People Mover installed at Birmingham International Airport in 1984, and which ran until 1995, when the cost of maintaining it became too high. It is now replaced by a cable hauled, wheeled system called SkyRail. Magnetic Levitation was first demonstrated by Eric Laithwaite and his research team at Imperial College London (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) and implemented by a consortium including GEC, Balfour Beatty, Brush, and MetroCam.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

20 millions line for 900 projects?

It means a measly 22k lines for each project, on average...

1. Adam Azarchs

Re: 20 millions line for 900 projects?

Some of those projects as small things like vim plugins. I'd hate to imagine what a even a 10k line vimscript would be like.

2. Kubla Cant

a measly 22k lines for each project

“Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight.” - Bill Gates

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually, you can now measure aircraft progress by the number of lines of code in their avionics...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

small is beautiful?

well, except for bobby ball, etc. ....

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Damn clickbait, I thought this would be about my long overdue hoverboard!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like