back to article Who'd be mad enough to start a 'large-scale fire' in a spaceship?

The next resupply mission for the International Space Station (ISS) will include the kit needed to light a fire in a spacecraft. And NASA plans to strike a match and make it happen. The fire's a NASA idea: it knows that fire in space is dangerous but doesn't know how fire behaves in a zero gravity environment. That means, as …

1. cbars Bronze badge
    Joke

what's the big deal?

You can easily extinguish fires on board space craft.

Just open the pod bay doors

1. John Doe 6

Re: what's the big deal?

Right... especially when your Oxygen tank is burning.

2. Benchops

> Just open the pod bay doors

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. David Knapman

"The experiment will ride along with the CRS-6 mission planned to launch on March 6th"

Checks Calendar. Checks sentence. Either there's a lot of lead time in this story, the use of the future tense is wrong, or there's something wrong with that date.

1. Jos V

RE: Who'd be mad enough to start a 'large-scale fire' in a spaceship?

David Knapman. I think some things are a bit confusing here.

SpaceX CRS-6 (or SpX-6) was launched April 14, 2015.

Saffire-1 will launch with the Cygnus module on Orbital Sciences CRS-OA6, next Tuesday March 22.

HTH

Jos

3. John Doe 6

I'll just give your a name of a ship... no not a space ship: Scandinavian Star.

4. John Robson Silver badge

Why wait to downlink?

Is it just me or would others not activate this and want as much data as possible to be instant telemetry, rather than waiting until it's over before downloading it all?

If it goes "unexpectedly" then you at least get some data...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why wait to downlink?

What you might want in an ideal world and what's practical (particularly for what will presumably be a short duration/high data rate event) are two quite different things...

2. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Why wait to downlink?

The experiment will be started after the craft enters its terminal decent stage to ensure that the experiment doesn't cause the capsule to stay up in space, wrecking havoc. The problem is, that at those speeds, radio communication is next to impossible. Even manned craft go dark during large portions of the return flight.

This is usually due to the craft moving too quickly for a receiver to properly track it; the Doppler shift in the signal being too extreme to communicate safely; or super-heating of the air around the craft causing it to radiate immense amount of very-high frequency noise (Its actually possible to track spacecraft, meteorites, and miscellaneous junk entering the atmosphere by listening for it's "scream" on the HF to Ka bands)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ré the other experiments

Is one of them, trying to toast marsh melons??

(Only had 1/2 my morning pint of coffee, so the best II can come up with).

1. DuncanL

Re: marsh melons

Tell me, Spock. What do we do after we toast the marsh — er, melons?

We consume them.

I *know* we consume them. I mean after that...

6. Mikey

A little light Monday morning entertainment...

Twinkle twinkle, Little Pod,

All fired up now you've done your job!

Up above the world so high,

Oh bloody hell now it's ALL on fire!

Burning fiercely, Little Pod,

Oh balls, the transmitter isn't on...

1. Blofeld's Cat
      Pint

Re: A little light Monday morning entertainment...

Excellent. I like this concept of the Pod receiving a traditional Viking funeral...

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Didn't they make "tests" like that on MIR?

Anyway, this is a very good idea. Fires are tricky enough down here (and sometimes do not behave how you'd expect them to at all). Fires in microgravity will be different. And as weird shit can and will happen, at least try to be prepared.

As part of my job is fire prevention (not in space, alas), I will be following this with great interest.

1. Grikath

There have been tests, on all spacestations. Thing is they were really small-scale experiments, under very controlled circumstances, and nothing like the "someone tossed his smouldering ciggie stub in the trash"

Microgravity fires are weird.. hardly any convection, slow-burning, *almost* self-smothering, but retain ignition temperature a lot longer and get hotter overall, so any draft could get them going again with a vengeance. A firefighters' worst nightmare, really.

8. Rich 11

Surely...

...all NASA have to do is ask the Hollywood SFX guys what a fire in a spaceship looks like? As a bonus, they might even get to learn about explosions in a vacuum.

1. Midnight

Re: Surely...

I hear they're very loud.

9. DocJames
    Flame

I hope

that they don't press that button too earlier.

Or ironically this is the mission that actually has an unfortunate pyrotechnic event.

I can't believe nobody's used the icon yet.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: I hope

It will not be anywhere as bad as people think it will be.

A fire in zero G may not even burn unless you set it up in an oxygen enriched atmosphere or support it with electric heating.

The lack of convection is a killer. Any burn will be extremely localized and will "eat" its oxygen allowance nearly immediately smothering the fire in the process.

On earth, convection will take away the products of the burn and bring new oxygen. In zero G there is nothing to do that.

1. AndyS

There were several fires on Mir. I think the real problem is that, although what you say sounds sensible, nobody really knows for sure. What if there's a slight air current? Presumably the air conditioning needs to move air around continually. What if the burning material is moving? What if the fire itself generates air currents due to out-gassing of the burning materials?

Although a fire may struggle to reach the intensity of a fire on Earth, in a small, limited environment even a small fire could, for example, potentially eat all the available oxygen very quickly, as you point out. That may not be good for the fire, but it's probably not particularly good for any people nearby either.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't burning the atmosphere create a low pressure area, pulling in more atmosphere?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Wouldn't burning the atmosphere create a low pressure area, pulling in more atmosphere?"

No. Because while you're using up O2 you're creating CO2 which takes its place. If anything you'd create a high pressure area due to expansion of the gases from heat.

3. Rich 11

A fire in zero G may not even burn unless you set it up in an oxygen enriched atmosphere or support it with electric heating.

Spacecraft do have an oxygen-enriched atmosphere. The O2 is usually present at a 30% concentration, although in an atmosphere maintained at 10psi.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

"The lack of convection is a killer"

In a real world environment (as opposed to the test ones that have been used so far) things are likely to be very different.

For starters there will be air movement caused by people running around trying to put it out. None of the experiments so far have attempted to replicate that.

Smothering fires has a nasty tendency to start making lots of carbon monoxide from incomplete combustion in any case, so whilst an undisturbed zero-g fire might look unspectacular it could be even deadlier than most people realise.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Voland's right hand: "The lack of convection is a killer. Any burn will be extremely localized and will "eat" its oxygen allowance nearly immediately smothering the fire in the process."

Well, maybe: they're doing this test to find out what really happens, because they don't know for sure one way or another.

6. Mike Flugennock

It will not be anywhere as bad as people think it will be.

A fire in zero G may not even burn unless you set it up in an oxygen enriched atmosphere or support it with electric heating...

Y'mean, more or less like Apollo 1?

OK, that was on the ground, but, still... many historians mention that the Apollo 1 fire -- ironically, sadly -- bought time for Apollo Block II development and improvements in fire-safe cabin materials and atmosphere.

I still don't like to think what it would've been like had the infamous "plugs-out test" gone as planned, and Apollo 1 had launched, and that goddamn' fire happened in orbit.

10. Rustident Spaceniak
    Mushroom

Why would NASA want to turn a strip into a crisp? (Or into smoke)

This is not your granddad's Apollo 1 anymore, hasn't there been a requirement around to use only non-flammable construction materials for, well, almost ever? [scratches head]

...Or is it that they came to realize some materials classed as non-flammable still may be ignited, given the right amount of heating?

1. AndyS

Re: Why would NASA want to turn a strip into a crisp? (Or into smoke)

The construction may be non flammable, but there will always be flammable things, and sources of ignition, around. Books, Li-ion batteries, clothing, bottles full of exotic gases and fuels, etc.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Or is it that they came to realize some materials classed as non-flammable still may be ignited, given the right amount of heating?

There is also the scenario of an oxygen cylinder leak, and in such an oxygen-enriched atmosphere many materials that we think of as not flammable can catch fire.

Sadly NASA do have experience of this on Earth. Apollo 1's three crew members died in a launch rehearsal test, because their cabin was pressurized with pure oxygen.

1. S4qFBxkFFg

"There is also the scenario of an oxygen cylinder leak, and in such an oxygen-enriched atmosphere many materials that we think of as not flammable can catch fire."

Also, there are better (or at least, more interesting - look up ClF3 for example) oxidisers than oxygen - the potential for them to be present in a space vehicle is obvious.

2. Dr. G. Freeman
      Mushroom

Everything is flammable if fiddled with enough.

11. imanidiot Silver badge
    Flame

Saffire-4?

Maybe one last mission should be just lighting an uncontained fire in the actual spacecraft when its already on a de-orbit trajectory (so any debris is certain t burn up)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Saffire-4?

Maybe, as long as they are certain that an 'uncontrolled fire' doesn't result in debris being propelled into an orbit where it might interfere with other spacecraft.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, the next time you see a falling star ..

.. it isn't just atmospheric friction you see.

Not sure if wishes work in that context, worth a try :)

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: So, the next time you see a falling star ..

It's generally shock heating - i.e. heating due to compression.

Meteors are generally fast enough that the air just can't move out of the way

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: So, the next time you see a falling star ..

And anyway, wishing on a star is astronomically stupid,

as I always say

which may or may not stem of the late, great Terry Pratchett's " A Hat Full of Sky"

<doffs hat (black fedora at the moment) to the memory of TP>

13. Seajay#
    Flame

This flammable material should be handy if the ISS gets stranded and the crew need to make water for their crops.

But what about the whole, everybody dies thing?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>But what about the whole, everybody dies thing

?

1. Seajay#

@Dave126

It's a quote from The Martian

14. Nick Davey

Space..... the final frontier...

Science I can get behind, holding to the long held human tradition of "what happens if we set it on fire?"

1. Mark 85

Re: Space..... the final frontier...

As long as no one yells: "Hey y'all... watch this!" all should be well.

1. Alien8n

Re: Space..... the final frontier...

It's NASA, they've pretty much told the entire world to "watch this" :)

15. xeroks

BANG!

Sometimes you have to throw science at the wall to see what sticks.

Looking forward to hearing how loud the bang is in space, and whether the capsule's big enough to warrant a halo...

16. Tom 7

Then the man in the moon points his hosepipe over the garden fence

and ruins the party.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like