back to article Oracle made slightly less money last quarter, and America is to blame

Oracle is blaming a strong dollar in cutting into its Q3 fiscal 2016 numbers. The enterprise giant reported [PDF] a three per cent decline in revenues and a 14 per cent drop in net income on the year-ago quarter, but said that when adjusted for constant currency, revenues would have been up one per cent and income down just …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Constant currency this, constant currency that

It's the same spiel as last year. Ok, so when dollar inevitably weakens, will they mention constant currency? Fat chance.

Will they use that as an excuse for not giving raises another year in a row? You betcha.

Anonymous and bitter for obvious reasons.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Constant currency this, constant currency that

"Anonymous and bitter for obvious reasons."

Not all companies work that way. Sure, a big firm generally gets you into big customers and systems (and potentially big salaries) but funnily enough some smaller companies can also do the same. There are some smaller firms that punch way above their weight. All you have to do is find them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree!

I feel for the sales force there. I supported nearly 700 of them myself when I was there. I left due to medical issues, and I don't miss the stress. I never got a raise in the 3 years I was there. I got two awards though from C-level management though, and my reviews were all in the 4.5 and 5.0 range, but not one bonus or raise.

Wait until July when they big cheeses get their bonuses anyway while they skimp on the commissions for the people who worked hard on getting them the sales. They always have some excuse to cut the commissions for the people that work hard for them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not to mention the people working hard to keep the existing customers happy-ish: no recognition, no reward.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Definitely. When the dollar weakens, you can bet that constant currency column will be dropped from the reports. IBM is doing the same thing. I think Oracle borrowed this excuse from IBM.... Like IBM borrowed Oracle's "we had a sales execution issue" excuse a few quarters ago. As though their products are obviously awesome and everyone wants to buy them, but the Oracle's sales team just screwed things up.

2. a_yank_lurker

Buzzword Bingo

Currency fluctuations are problem for all multi-national companies so complaining about it makes you look incompetent. Leisure Suit Larry should be worried about the sharp down turn in hardware and software sales. The cloud looks to be rapidly evolving into a high volume/low margin business. Amazon is the best placed to thrive since their original core business, retail, is a high volume/low margin business.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Buzzword Bingo

And after they absorbed Sun, they let the sales of the server products languish so the competition could climb all over them then wonder why no one wants to purchase the now Oracle servers.

2. The Godfather

Not sure I follow cloud being a high volume low margin area... Cloud sales represent just 8% of sales.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I don't mean no disrespect Don, but I think he was talking 'cloud' in general.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"so complaining about it makes you look incompetent"

They arent complaining about it, they are stating it as a fact.

"Leisure Suit Larry should be worried about the sharp down turn in hardware and software sales."

Its inevitable, no way round it. LSL has to plan for (and hope) that increases in cloud sales and profits will outweigh decrease in on-premise. They *know* on premise will decline.

That is the "master plan", that pretty much everything will move to cloud. Not exactly a secret!

The issue is, can they manage the transition. Jury is out if its doable.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like