back to article Your unpatchable, insecure Android mobe will feel right at home in the Internet of Stuff era

If you've got a Qualcomm Snapdragon chip in your Android phone and tablet, make sure you grab its latest security updates – if you can. And if you can't, well, get used to it: the Internet of Things is going to bring more and more un-patchable and insecure electronics onto the market, it's feared. Researchers at Trend Micro …

1. PunkTiger

Android only?

Are other Operating Systems also affected by this, or is it just Android? For example, my Nokia Lumia 635 uses a Snapdragon 400, but it runs Windows Phone 8.1 (Denim). I would presume since the issue is kernel-based with this processor, my device would also be vulnerable. But, since WP holds such a minuscule share of the phone market, would hackers actively find a way to exploit it?

1. jtaylor

Re: Android only?

If your Lumia 635 runs an unpatched Android kernel as part of Windows 8.1, then you have a problem.

1. PunkTiger

Re: Android only?

My confusion lie in the sentence "If you've got a Qualcomm Snapdragon chip in your Android phone and tablet, make sure you grab its latest security updates – if you can."

"Its" in that sentence could refer to either the Snapdragon chip or the Android OS. It sounded like it was the Snapdragon chip that had a newly-discovered vulnerability that a patch would treat, and that patch was only available on Android systems; leaving other systems out in the cold. Apparently, I had the wrong end of the stick.

Mea Culpa if I seemed naive or ignorant.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Palpy

Oh, joy.

Rockchip CPU here, not Snapdragon, but the take-away for me is: the cheap tablet is a toy and untrusted.

Mine's the one with the electrician's tape over the cameras. But still, someday they will come for me: "You. You are among the ones we seek, one of the cynics, the balas perdidas, the blackguards, les commentards pourri. For we have nipped your browser history from you silly tablet."

"And you, yes even you, have posted on... El Reg. To the Black Hole with you, sir!"

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Oh, joy.

Sir?

2. e^iπ+1=0

electrician's tape over the cameras

Yeah, and only use it in a Faraday cage, don't allow it to connect over USB to anything, physically disable the touchscreen, microphone, speaker, 3.5mm jack.

Then switch it on and be smug about how secure your phone is.

3. a_yank_lurker

The Problem for IoT

As long as there several steps between the kernel or OS and the user security will always be dicey at best. With the IoT, this will be the norm, at least three hops if not four or five.

4. Grikath

Ummmm yeah....

Given that your average (dodgy) android app + average user = install + insane/unnecessary access without checking anyway... Isn't this a little bit....fancy?

Oh wait. Terrible Danger!!! .. Big Drama Reveal !!!1!one! ...Much Hype!! So Terrible!! [/unimpressed]

5. Christian Berger

Sorry, but we are far beyond that

Since classes of exploits like Rowhammer(JS) we know that sandboxes are only an illusion. It may help against errors, but effectively it cannot help against malevolent code. This is why it's so important that we prevent malevolent code from running at all. In short if you are running malware, you are doomed. The complex layers upon layers of code in modern mobile and desktop OSes do nothing meaningful to mitigate against this, they only introduce new security critical bugs.

The far bigger problem is of course that those bugs found here potentially could be used from the network side.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Sorry, but we are far beyond that

Since classes of exploits like Rowhammer(JS) we know that sandboxes are only an illusion.

Just don' trip over your peremptory statements which seems to go to extremes with scant justification, neither theoretical nor practical.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Isn't that the whole point of touchscreen devices - to deliver sweeping generalisations?

/paris.jpg/

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

No it's for sweeping pontifications.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
            Joke

Or sweeping problems under the carpet.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"The Internet of Things is going to bring more and more un-patchable and insecure electronics onto the market, it's feared."

Fear you should it indeed - because the level of certainty that it's going to happen is almost par with death and taxes.

1. Chemical Bob

The Internet of Things is all about saving electricity - we will all be so appalled by the laughable security on these Things that we will all choose to live without the White Fire Inside The Walls known as electricity.

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Qualcomm

"Qual" = german word for struggle, agony, torment.

8. Whitter
    Unhappy

Cyanogen

I'm a Nexus user so vanilla works just fine for me. Any other droid seems to be running a greater risk by risk if they keep to supplier updates rather than "jailbreak" into the world of Cyanogen. A sad state of corporate affairs really: what value a brans name when you instantly throw their stuff away?

9. Indolent Wretch

Oh No!

Not my unpatchable, insecure Android phone as I move into the new era of the Internet of Things!!!

Oh well I guess I could just buy another one for £50 and get on with life.

Commoditization and disposability cut both ways you know.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You won't have £50 left after the exploits have been used.

Oh, you thought all exploits were announced before being used to give you time?

10. wiggers

CyanogenMod

For the Nexus 4 at least, there's only an update when someone builds it. The latest v12.1 was dated 2015-10-07, so is probably missing some Google updates. There are some v13 nightlies but I don't know if they're usable.

1. MrWibble

Re: CyanogenMod

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/cm-13-0-release-1

mako is on the list, so CM13 is available, and "stable" (ha!)

1. e^iπ+1=0

Re: CyanogenMod

'mako is on the list, so CM13 is available, and "stable" (ha!)'

I tried CM13 on my Nexus 4 about 4 weeks ago and it was only working without gapps.

Staying with 12.1 until I have more time.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Closed drivers need to die

Closed drivers are a big part of the problem here.

You can't update something that has closed drivers unless the vendor cares enough to get involved. And they won't care if they are on to the next shiny.

Linux deliberately doesn't have a stable kernel ABI or API so all of it is free to evolve.

Also "open" kernel bits don't get merged if there are just for closed userspace drivers. So these open parts just rot when the vendor has moved on.

GNU/Linux userland doesn't really do stable ABIs because most of the time you can just recompile the world, all in the repository with build dependencies, and make everything use the latest and greatest and only have a, latest version of each lib. This is awesome, it really is. But closed drivers just don't fit into this world. So you get either freezing death spreading along the dependencies of closed parts, or you have to drop support for things. Which is really annoying when it's the GPU and you are doing a graphics project! Or the other way, where you can't update the kernel because of some closed component, meaning you can't use the latest Bluez on your Bluetooth project!

If GNU/Linux and the Linux went closed friendly, it would start building up legacy crud like Windows or now Android for that matter. So that's not a solution. On Android it doesn't seam so bad because it's a throw away platform, but even then it's building.

So a big part of the solution is open drivers.

For the internet of things, to stop it being the internet of infected old things, the hardware needs to be standardized so we can put our own modern firmware on when vendors move on.

The problem is I don't think there is enough far sighteness around to stop the internet of infected things happening. And only when most people's toaster and fridge are spam botnets and their TV sends everything to a blackmail gang, will real steps actually be taken to sort this unholy mess out.

12. chasil

jailbreak

Does this mean that I can pry my fascist carrier off my Moto G?

Thank you so much, Motorola, for refusing to allow me to unlock my bootloader. I have such warm feelings for you when you cave to the unreasonable demands for control of your partners, at the expense of your end users. I would certainly recommend you to everyone when you do things like this.

13. Tim Brown 1

kernel version?

I just checked both my recent Android devices (one of which is a fully patched Nexus 7, running Marshmellow) and both are running a Linux kernel version 3.4.x, so why is kernel 3.10 mentioned?

Is this bug related to Android version or Linux kernel?

1. oneeye

Re: kernel version?

The range of Android version is from 4.0 to 6.0 but the kernel version is in the main settings "about" and you will have to dig into those to find kernel version. I think maybe the latest marshmallow update may or may not have patched it. But go look for yourself.

14. David Roberts
    Coat

Anyone who snaps a picture.....

......of me on the toilet is in a world of hurt and will need professional counselling.

Hang on, is IoT Internet of Toilets?

Mine's the one with the extra soft toilet paper in the pocket ->

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will this method of getting root access trip KNOX?

16. ntevanza

Internet of Schadenfreude

Admit it, the IoT is the Schadenfreudegelegenheit of the century.

Like Donald Trump, it's funny until it happens to you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like