back to article Western Digital spins up a USB disk just for the Raspberry Pi

Western Digital's WDLabs has spun up a hard disk just for the Raspberry Pi 3. The “PiDrive” has a capacity of 314 gigabytes is just 7mm tall and looks, per the picture above (here for readers on our mobile site) to boast just a single platter. It's a USB affair, connectivity-wise, but WD says it has tweaked the device so “... …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Raspberry Pi 3 can boot directly using USB mass storage and PXE network, however there’s no software support for this yet.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The price baloons. To what exactly?

The drive's also keenly priced at just US$31.42 in the WD store. By the time you get the requisite cables and cases, that price balloons

So you are assuming that punters who buy this won't:-

- Have a USB Cable? Is WD using a proprietary USB connector?

- Have a case that can't be 'bodged' into accepting this drive?

Isn't the Pi aimed at hobbyists and schools? I would have thought that this drive is not much use to schoold but to hobbyists building a Media Device it is right up their street. The DIY'ers I know with Pi's will have cases that can be 'engineered' to let this drive work.

so what is missing then that makes the price Baloon? How big is the baloon? Is it more than the proce of the drive?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: The price baloons. To what exactly?

Is WD using a proprietary USB connector?

The pic shows standard micro-USB3.0. Or at least something that looks like it.

Isn't the Pi aimed at hobbyists and schools?

Exactly. Only a hobbyist will assemble "My Time Capsule" or "My CCTV system" himself. Spinning rust is still the best means of storing data for both. Yeah, I know, "real" hobbyists are supposed to take a soldering iron in hand and peruse the GPIO interface, everyone else who does not, is not worthy and should be treated as scum. I know, but I disagree - my razzies have no GPIO use at present - they all drive USB peripherals +/- an onboard camera.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Picture shows a USB3.0 connector ion the drive but the WD cable for it looks like it's got a power passthrough, so you'd plug your wall wart PSU into that first and then into the Pi.

1. Anonymous Custard
          Headmaster

Picture shows a USB3.0 connector ion the drive but the WD cable for it looks like it's got a power passthrough, so you'd plug your wall wart PSU into that first and then into the Pi.

Correct - the Pi Drive cable has 4 connectors, a micro-USB-B female (into which you plug the wall wart), a micro-USB-B male (plugs into the Pi to power it), a micro-USB3-B male (plugs into the drive) and a USB-A male (plugs into the Pi USB port for data input).

Thus you get power to both the drive and the Pi, and data connection between the two, all in one neat cable. It works very well, presuming the PSU you use has enough juice for the job to supply both. With this new drive it's not really a problem though, as it's designed to be light on current draw (measured at about 200mA when acting as the source for playback on an uncompressed BluRay - I was a beta-tester for the drive and one of my fellow testers made some in-line measurements of current draw and reported them).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To something that's not π-based. You missed the hints. 314GB? $31,42? Helloooooo?

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: The price baloons. To what exactly?

By Jove you're right! I'm not worthy.

1. Dan Wilkie

Looks like somebody got Pi

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

On their face

(⌐■_■)

YYYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. Vulch

Also...

40 quid and a small number of pence for the drive, case and cable when I ordered one last night.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Salts

@AC. Good catch yesterday was also pi day in the US

1. J. R. Hartley

More importantly it was steak and blowjob day in the UK.

1. Simon Harris
            Unhappy

Re: The price baloons. To what exactly? @J.R.Hartley

Damn - I forgot!

Suppose I'll have to wait another year now!

2. Contrex

"More importantly it was steak and blowjob day in the UK."

Yes I saw that on Slashdot too.

2. Simon Harris

"@AC. Good catch yesterday was also pi day in the US"

I expect we Europeans will have to wait until 22/July for delivery!

1. Wensleydale Cheese

"I expect we Europeans will have to wait until 22/July for delivery!"

Our maths teacher always told us that 22/7 wasn't accurate enough.

Which is quite appropriate for advertised delivery dates :-)

4. Timbo

"You missed the hints."

Shame El Reg was late to press with this news story !!

It was announced on Pi-day too....how many hints does one need ??

Y'know: 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982148086513282306647093844609550582231725359408128481117450284102701938521105559644622948954930381964428810975665933446128475648233786783165271201909145648566923460348610454326648213393607260249141273724587006606315588174881520920962829254091715364367892590360011330530548820466521384146951941511609

[url]http://3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592.com/[/url]

1. Simon Harris
          Coat

Re: The price baloons. To what exactly? @Timbo

By Jove!

I think you've hit on the solution to all the IPv4 addresses being used up - use irrational number addresses and they'll never run out!

2. phuzz Silver badge
          IT Angle

But yesterday was 14/3/16 (or 2016/03/14 if you want to use the more logical Japanese system), what's that got to do with Pi?

1. choleric

phuzz wrote: "But yesterday was 14/3/16 (or 2016/03/14 if you want to use the more logical Japanese system), what's that got to do with Pi?"

This is the only redeeming feature of the standard American date format that I can see. It is otherwise irredeemably illogical. It also falls foul of equal opportunities legislation, discriminating as it does against other important irrational numbers like e (2.71828182846ish, try to get that regularly into any standard date format!).

Mind you, while I like eating pies on pi day I'm not sure I would want to indulge in the designated fare on an e day.

5. Wensleydale Cheese
        Happy

"To something that's not π-based. You missed the hints. 314GB? $31,42? Helloooooo?"

It was also announced on 14th March, which of course is 3/14 in US date format.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Even more than that: 3/14/16, which is also a correct rounding. And no, we do NOT find the European OR Japanese dating systems sensible. We say "March 14, 2016" and our dates follow the convention.

3. BurnT'offering

http://store.wdc.com/store/wdus/en_US/list/ThemeID.21986300/parentCategoryID.13092600/categoryID.70262300/Accessories/WDLabs_Products

4. lafnlab
      Headmaster

Is a baloon some sort of baboon-shaped balloon?

1. PNGuinn
        Headmaster

Re: The price baloons. To what exactly? @Iafnlab

Baboons don't burst. I thought everyone knew that.

5. itzman
      Headmaster

No idea, Don't even know what a 'baloon' is...a small bear-cub?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They do if you attach a compressed air hose. So do most things in fact.

6. Florida1920
      Headmaster

so what is missing then that makes the price Baloon? How big is the baloon? Is it more than the proce of the drive?

You need the WD drive cable, US$9.99, but out of stock (conveniently?). A USB cable, drive cable and 2-A 5-V supply run you US$16.99, and their case is another US$9.99. So you could go WD all the way for less than US$60.00. That isn't really a balloon, as it would still leave a few bucks in your pocket to cover the price of a few pints at the local saloon.

7. Michael Thibault
      Trollface

>How big is the baloon? Is it more than the proce of the drive?

And, most importantly, can I keep it?

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

That may get in my shopping list

This is quite tempting to combine a Pi and a drive into a "DIY Time Capsule" to run amanda from the shed. Temptation... Temptation...

It all depends on price, as you end up having to use a USB hub for most Pi use cases anyway, a more power hungry, but cheaper USB drive may suffice. The other issue with USB drives is that Linux has no effective means of controlling the power consumption. hdparm does not work over the USB storage interface. So you are totally at the mercy of the drive firmware as far as spin-up/spin-down and actual drive power metrics are concerned.

By the way - I see a USB3.0 interface on it, while the Pi is 2.0. So the Pi angle looks more like marketing. This is a dedicated external enclosure drive - all vendors now do them with USB onboard to save costs.

1. Cameron Colley

Re: That may get in my shopping list

hdparm for spindown works fine with the USB drive attached to my Pi model B, as it does with my desktop also. You'll see an error returned as USB doesn't seem to carry the response from the drive (my interpretation) but the command "hdparm -S 5", for example, does work fine.

4. To Mars in Man Bras!
    Trollface

designed to slurp less power..

Should have made it an SSD then.

... at the same capacity and price.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: designed to slurp less power..

They've got to flog those platters somehow. Congrats on Marketing in coming up with a new angle.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Yes indeed, as a reasonably priced SSD drive capacity is well within SD card territory.

1. Danny 14

yes because an SSD running from a shared USB3 connection on an ultra low cost computer makes a lot of sense.

WD already make these drives for their small USB enclosures. I needed to repair one for a friend (no connection/detection) and expected to open up the enclosure and pull a sata drive from a usb->sata block but no, the drive had the USB socket directly on the controller board. Most displeasing. the sell for this one is the 7mm height for small builds.

I seem to remember there used to be 1.8" drives in small netbooks, maybe that can make an even smaller form factor case for the PI

1. Charles 9

"I seem to remember there used to be 1.8" drives in small netbooks, maybe that can make an even smaller form factor case for the PI"

Actually, those 1.8" jobbers were first built for PMPs like iPods before they went solid state.

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

What do you mean, a new angle? atan(1) * 4 has been around since at least Pythagoras.

2. Timbo

"Should have made it an SSD then."

TBH, a quick look on fleabay will reveal plenty of small-ish (8Gb or so) capacity SATA SSD's for around 2 cups of Costa's finest coffee - I got a couple a few days ago and they are doing very nicely :)

For the "tinkerer" in me, these are much nicer than SD cards.

Linux boots up very quickly and low power draw too. Win Win :)

1. Nunyabiznes

Since you are using Linux, shouldn't that be Lin/Lin? ;)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty easy to do with a normal drive

I've had a Raspberry Pi B+ running off a normal Western Digital 500Mb drive for a while now, as it's at home it's plugged into a hub so power is not an issue, it's fairly straightforward to edit the DOS partition config file cmdline.txt on the SD card and copy the Linux partition to the hard disk.

Nice to see they are producing drives and interfaces specifically for the PI now though, was interested to see the SATA interface, may get one to play with.

Would be nice to have an alternative to bypass the SD card was interested by massivelySerial's comment at the top that USB boot and PXE will be possible with the PI3, thats good news indeed.

6. Unicornpiss
    Meh

The price is right...

But why would you want a mechanical drive in this day and age? Especially with a PI, which has no moving parts and is inherently rugged?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The price is right...

Because they could be still better for some write intensive tasks where speed is not of paramount importance?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"inherently rugged"

sorry to say but it failed shock & vibe testing here ..... then again, it was never designed to be a rugged or industrial device (we were just being outrageously optimistic!) :-)

3. Danny 14

I might not want to pay more for the drive than I do for the pi itself.

4. david1024

I do think that in a lot of applications the limited write endurance of the SD cards hampers long term reliability. Having the rPI crash-out until I re-image a replaced SD card.... is aggravating. A product like this drive may prevent that... or at least extend it longer than the 2 years I'm currently getting. (and when you have multiple systems... it seems one is almost always down and needing attention--and it is always the SD card in my experience... the hardware itself is, as you say, otherwise very reliable.)

I know people say, well you can do this, and do that to improve the SD card's longevity... but in my application, I can't... I have to do the writes. WD knows that there are a lot of people out there like me (SD card killers) and others that could use a low-priced-semi-customized drive. Hope it is a good seller for them.

1. Unicornpiss

While SD cards may not be all that they could be, pretty much any SSD has a better MTBF than any mechanical drive other than dedicated enterprise drives costing many orders of magnitude more. Better power consumption and shock resistance too for those battery powered PI projects. Buy Crucial's "BX" series if ultra-performance isn't needed (which isn't with the PI) and you're approaching mechanical drive pricing.

I stand by my wondering why anyone would want spinning rust for most applications these days when SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper.

1. Charles 9

Because they're still not at the sweet spot in terms of price/GB compared to rust, especially at large capacities. When your routinely handle data in the TB range, the current crops of affordable SSDs just aren't cheap enough yet.

Now, I'll grant you, in the 256GB range the flash drives are now within reason (I'm noting price tags in the $50-60...and these are with USB3 plugs in case you're wondering), but as others have noted their longevity cannot be assured (after all, the chips that go into these things probably aren't first-string as those go into the SSDs).

7. Chris Evans

USB not SATA

"interested to see the SATA interface"

Whilst the info on the WD website is very sparse and the photos very small, you can just make out the USB 3 socket on the motherboard and the corresponding plug on the cable kit.

From the WD site:

"Native USB 7mm HDD – slim drive"

8. waggawagga

We can't do Pi day Down Under

But we celebrate 1/Pi on August 31st.

9. rob_leady
    Unhappy

Grrr....

Gb != GB

10. HmmmYes

Hmm, bitch bitch.

The first hard disk I ever came across was in 1987, when I was roped into moving a 200MB winchester disk (I think). Size and weight of a large fridge.

1. Daz555

Ahh the Winchester! My school had a 40MB one in the late 80s attached to a network of 20...yes 20! BBC computers. We used to like causing it to crash with a simple script:

10 MD <name>

20 CD <name>

30 GOTO 10

Thinking back can't remember if it as MD/CD or MKDIR/CHDIR...or maybe even something else. Still, it annoyed the hell out of our maths teacher.

1. Charles 9

In the old DOS days the MD/MKDIR and CD/CHDIR commands were interchangeable, though in your case, I think the batch file went:

:LOOP

MD <name>

CD <name>

GOTO LOOP

11. Seanie Ryan

winchester

@HmmmYes bet you had to run the command parkhd.exe first before moving it????

1. iRadiate

Re: winchester

good god! parkhd.

That's a blast from the past (I think).

I have Alzheimer's so had to log onto my LinkedIn profile to check my age.

damn I'm old....

12. Dwarf

Or.. get one of these

USB to MSata board and go SSD.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/lycom-pi-102-raspberry-pi-usb-to-msata-converter-board-supports-sata-i-ii-iii-msata-ssds-includes-mo

Only problem is its USB2, like the Pi.

1. Trygve Henriksen

Re: Or.. get one of these

Or the one actually named 'PiDrive'(how does WD get away with nicking the name?)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2073955313/pidrive-low-power-msata-ssd-for-the-raspberry-pi

13. barewires
    Mushroom

Added Bonus Features

Save buying an overly bright white LED desk lamp to light up your room as it rarely (ie. never - 'cept for a few flickers ever 24 seconds) turns off. WD programmers have not taken LED101 and should be reminded to invert that output.

The incessant buzzing from the drive may also keep away insects and other pests. Saving the worst til last; upgrading the BerryBoot SD reformats the Pidrive and blows away all of the multiple OS previously downloaded along with the drives content.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like