back to article Hollywood could learn a lot from software devs, says GitLab founder

Hollywood will be turning to the worlds of DevOps and Continuous Delivery to make movies in the future - at least they will if GitLab is right about where developer collaboration tools are heading. Sytse Sijbrandij, co-founder and CEO at GitLab, emphasised the product’s Continuous Integration and collaboration features when …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Mushroom

DevOps and Continuous Delivery

I can see it being good for films with lots of car crashes, train wrecks, and explosions with regressions and plot holes in the script. Maybe the next Transformers sequel?

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So, in other words - the movie will never be finished?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Nah, it'll be more like this.

3. James 51

Once on a long dull Christmas holiday I decided to watch Transformers for a second time. Every time Shia leBeouf came on the screen I hit fast forward until he was gone. It was both much shorter and (in comparison) a much better movie. Maybe this can be come the official 'cut'.

Personally I am looking forward to the Darth Jar Jar cut of Episodes I, II and III and the indoctrination ending to Mass Effect 3.

4. tony2heads

Never mind about how - what about content?

The problem with 90% of movies now is that they are aimed at 14 year olds. They are either (poor) remakes of stuff done decades ago or comic book superhero stuff. Some notable exceptions exit, but I don't care how they make them

It is the same with TV programs; I am not going to buy a super-duper UHD-3D-Smart-Curved TV to watch soap operas, "reality" TV, cookery and game shows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Re: Never mind about how - what about content?

"The problem with 90% of movies now is that they are aimed at 14 year olds" and made by nineteen-year-old directors who grew up watching MTV videos and nineteen-year-old writers who never read a book.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Never mind about how - what about content?

And when you flip on your car radio for some tunes you get the sound tracks from music videos instead of something intended to be primarily aural.

Or else you get those oldies stations, Ghod forbid...

5. Alister

Hollywood will be turning to the worlds of DevOps and Continuous Delivery to make movies in the future

Based on that then, by the time it gets to DVD release, it'll be a completely different movie to the one shown in the Cinemas...

A bit like Bladerunner, in fact...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Okay, push. Oops, I meant pull...

“If you change the format in which you describe how the movie’s edited, fades in etc, then suddenly it becomes a format that’s also open to contributions. So that’s our mission, making sure everyone can contribute.”

How will this sit with the type of director who dominates and/or micromanages? Also, isn't part of the magic the way the creatives have to work in a tight-knit way to produce even a mediocre movie? That connexion could be 'lost in the machine' so to speak.

7. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

What now?

“Nobody else has [CI] integrated in the interface,” he said. Gitlab relied on Travis, he said, while Atlassian used Bamboo.

Well, there's a marvelous example of a paragraph that conveys no information whatsoever. Are those clauses supposed to relate to one another in some fashion?

Mind you, I've used a variety of CI systems, including Atlassian. And I still have no idea what Fay means here.

(And, to be honest, I don't see much point to the entire article. CI systems are turning into what not so long ago was called "groupware" or "collaboration software". How terribly exciting.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like