back to article ExoMars mission thunders aloft from Baikonur

The European Space Agency's (ESA) ExoMars mission roared aloft from Baikonur Cosmodrome this morning atop a Proton-M rocket. The Proton-M being raised into a vertical position. Pic: ESA / B. Bethge Going vertical: The Proton-M being raised for launch last week. Pic: ESA / B. Bethge The lifter - carrying the Trace Gas …

1. Pedigree-Pete

Launch Video.

Thanks El Reg. My nephew has science stuff on board that and I missed the live ESA feed. Let's see what happens around 10PM when we'll get more live news.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Love the retro feel..

I rather love the retro quality of this video. On the one side of the planet we have people hyping 4K television, on the other side we have rather important events seen through a camera that, judging by the image quality, was manufactured somewhere in the early 90s.

Bonus feature is an audio track that could have been lifted straight of the old "Moonraker" Bond movie, complete with echo.

All I'm missing is a guy in a chair busy generating static electricity by means of a cat..

1. Jimbo 6
      Big Brother

Re: Love the retro feel..

In former Soviet republics, high-definition television watches YOU !!!

3. A K Stiles
    Boffin

Run of the mill?

I managed to catch the ESA feed this morning. It was crazy that it started to feel almost run of the mill after the recent activities of ISS crew changes and resupply missions, Rosetta, New Horizons, etc and all the SpaceX almost reusable rocketry.

How incredible is it that, by late October, some part of that rocket assembly I watched launching is going to land on another planet using what seems almost a Wil-E-Coyote assemblage of heat-shields, parachutes and rocket thrusters?

More, so much more of this please, (along with lots of other good science a bit nearer to home).

Icon, not for this post but for all the stuff winging its way to our rocky red neighbour.

1. RIBrsiq

Re: Run of the mill?

"what seems almost a Wil-E-Coyote assemblage".

In fact, the main CAD package they use is a copy of The Incredible Machine...

More seriously: yes, I am right there with you.

Whenever I take a step back and look at how incredible "everyday" stuff is, I almost get vertigo. Then I remember that at some point in time, a flint edge probably was just as -- hah! -- cutting-edge and that at some point in the future, our toys will probably seem just as primitive and cry myself to sleep.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Run of the mill?

"Then I remember that at some point in time, a flint edge probably was just as -- hah! -- cutting-edge and that at some point in the future, our toys will probably seem just as primitive and cry myself to sleep."

The main difference being that those flint cutting edges barely changed over 1000's of years whereas we are seeing incredible changes in our own lifetimes. Closely followed by even more incredible things coming along soon after, still in the same fscking lifetime!

Granddad flew on Concorde but remembered the news reports of the first powered flight of the Wright brother and Bleriot crossing the channel.

I saw Neil Armstrong stepping onto the Moon. Live on TV. I wonder if I'll get to fly in space?

It's an exciting time to be alive.

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Fingers crossed for a succesful mission

I'll raise a glass to the mission, and of course to celebrate the succesful launch

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Fingers crossed for a succesful mission

I did too. In my Specially Engraved, Hewn From The Living Glass, Commemorative LOHAN Tankard.

Luckily it's not engraved with a launch date.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Shitty flash

So not even the ESA can stop requiring Adobe Flash for video? Really?

I'm a space nut, but nothing will make me reinstall Flash.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Shitty flash

Well, here's something else to watch then:

Flash Gordon - The Deadly Ray From Mars

2. Mark 85

Re: Shitty flash

I don't have Flash but the embedded video worked fine for me.

6. Mark 85

Did anyone else notice this...

Something came flying towards the camera at about the 0:13 mark. I can't tell what it was but it was eerie.

1. Lars Silver badge

Re: Did anyone else notice this...

A bird who experienced something very very eerie.

7. kyza

Filmed on a potato

Here's a much better version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r7qqK5E7fU

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like