back to article Anti-cyber-attack biz Staminus is cyber-attacked, mocked by card-leaking tormentors

Staminus Communications – a US web hosting biz that specializes in protecting sites from distributed denial-of-service attacks – is recovering after hackers ransacked its servers and leaked customer credit card numbers. Its systems fell over for about 20 hours up until the early hours of Friday morning, UK time, or late at …

1. Dazzz
    FAIL

Their latest post on Twitter isnt claiming the credit card details are safe so I would say say plain text storage looks likely. Sueball incoming in 1...2...3...

2. AlbertH
    Holmes

Hubris always gets you in the end.....

Ha Ha Ha Ha.......

These clueless snake-oil salesmen didn't realise that their systems had been compromised for almost 24 hours. They stored user names, passwords and Credit Card details as plain text. What part of "totally, criminally incompetent" don't they accept?

Dazzz may be right - their (l)users may well sue them. You can be sure that they'll go out of business well before the writ lands on their doormat!

1. Mark 85

Re: Hubris always gets you in the end.....

On top of that, they were hosting serious targets which should given them a clue that they needed to make sure their defenses were bullet-proof. Yep, incoming sueball.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

"a system-wide event, making our backbone unavailable."

Don't sweat it, that happens to politicians all the time.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

BA DUMP BA!

upvoted

4. To Mars in Man Bras!
    Facepalm

Snigger!

"Staminus" —another one for the "Voo-Va-Voo" collection. This one sounds like it should be a 'Male Delay Spray'.

5. joed

Now get ready for free credit monitoring

I consider all the "free credit monitoring" offers sent me by hacked companies/government entities as a bad joke. Someone lost my information and now they suggest sharing this (better yet because updated) information with another business I'd rather have nothing to do with. I guess only to increase the odds of another data leak and make it harder to track to source.

1. Mark 85
      Trollface

Re: Now get ready for free credit monitoring

So if my details are compromised by different companies and each offers a year of "credit monitoring", will those run concurrently or consecutively? I wonder if I could take the cash for the monitoring from the last 4 instead? There's a business model forming here....

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    FAIL

It is important to note that we do not collect Social Security numbers or tax IDs

No, it's not important to note at all. The customers would already know if they handed that information over. That's a red herring to put a little "upper" at the end of the bad news in a sad attempt to distract from the really serious loss of credit card, name and address data.

7. John Geek
    Trollface

better, these guys primary business is 'DDoS resistant web hosting', *AND* they host IRC DDoS groups? oh yeah. more more!

8. ecofeco Silver badge

I love the Interent!

If there is one thing I like about modern times it's that poseurs get outed and pwned pretty quick these days.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TinfoilHat.jpg

First Incapsula, now these guys!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like