back to article Monster motor breathes fire in Mississippi

NASA has successfully tested the first RS-25 flight engine, destined to power the core stage of the Space Launch System (SLS). Last year, the space agency and motor contractor Aerojet Rocketdyne rattled windows around Stennis Space Center in Mississippi with a 535-second burn of a developmental RS-25, destined purely for …

1. Steve Todd

It's only about 1.13

Olympic swimming pools according to the El Reg unit converter (though it seems to lack Gallons as an input unit, so I had to use cubic inches).

2. Paul Slater

I make it 2500000/(1500*4.54*500) = 0.73 olympic swimming pools

1. Steve Todd

Running a cross check, an Olympic pool contains about 660000 US gallons (this is NASA we're talking about) so 660000 / (1500 X 500) = 0.88 Olympic swimming pools.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

We all know a standard Olympic swimming pool is 50 metres long. But what is the standard width and depth? Is something the Office for National Statistics ought to be looking at?

3. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Safest?

The engines have been upgraded with 'new technology' so presumably the 'safest' engines are still the safest in the same way that Windows 8 was the best operating system ever as it was upgraded from Windows 7 using 'new technology' ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Safest?

They've come up with designs for an expendable version of the RS-25 - re-designed to be cheaper than the extremely reliable re-usable version proven on 135 Space Shuttle flights. But I think this latest test is using one of the mothballed original RS-25 engines combined with some new kit, as noted here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_main_engine#2015_tests

As for these things being "workhorse engines that are among the most proven in the world" - well, maybe: certainly the original RS-25 as used on the Space Shuttle is proven in decades of service. But the USSR and now Russia have been flying the RD-107 rocket engine (in various versions) since 1957 when they were used on the R-7 ICBM, which was developed into the venerable Soyuz launcher family - still in service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RD-107

(By the by, NASA makes one not entirely accurate claim for the RS-25 here:

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/rs25-engine-powers-sls.html

"The RS-25 [...] is the first reusable rocket engine in history."

Yes it's the first re-usable rocket engine for a space launcher as far as I know; but the Me 163 interceptor aeroplane had a rocket engine which was re-usable, just so long as it didn't explode on landing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_163_Komet

- and there were a few planes operated right into the 1960s which also had (somewhat safer) re-usable rocket engines, including North American Aviation's mighty X-15.)

4. David 132 Silver badge
    Happy

Sums are hard

I find it amusing that (at time of posting this) the first three responses to this article each give completely different answers to the "how many swimming pools' worth of propellant" question.

Come on, people. it's not rocket science.

Oh.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Sums are hard

A review of the recently published literature and meta-analysis* indicates it's about 0.913.

* (1.13 + 0.73 + 0.88) / 3

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Sums are hard

From an engineer's point of view, that's one swimming pool.

Plus another one as backup.

5. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Not even a tarp?

I find it interesting that the RS-25 engine No. 2059 shown here was apparently shoved onto the back of truck for the ride out to the test stand, exposed to environmental whatnot. Perhaps any protective wrapping was removed just for the lovely picture.

This is based on that typically I'd expect there'd be some QA guy running around screaming about 'Space Hardware Transportation Procedures', and threatening to red-tag it and issue a CAR. Not there's necessarily any actual requirement (as distinct from a 'Requirement') for such covering.

Disclaimer: This is more observation than criticism. I'm not criticising anyone involved in this. I think that they're doing wonderful work. They're all lovely people.. I certainly hope we can skip having everyone leaping to their defense and trying to explain to me why tarps are impossible. But I fear that it'll happen anyway... 3... 2... 1...

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Not even a tarp?

Actually, if you notice all the red covers on top... those seal off the various fluids inlets. You can't really see most of them from the angle. Other than that, a rocket engine is pretty robust.

1. cray74

Other than that, a rocket engine is pretty robust.

Yep. The RS-25s in particular had to survive months of cumulative exposure to a Floridian coastal environment, which not coincidentally hosts a corrosion test center.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is more observation than criticism.

Your disclaimer has been duly noted. However, you unwisely decided to criticize the Glorious Government of the United States of Americana, and as required by federal law, a crack cleanup team has been assembled and dispatched to take care of the matter. Please do not offer any undue and evidently pointless resistance. Have a nice day.

6. PNGuinn
    Coat

That's enough to drain an average family-sized swimming pool

Typical NASA. Getting their units wrong again.

It's OLYMPIC sized swimming pools you grapefruits!

Thanks - it's the one with the swimming trunks and towel in the pocket.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: That's enough to drain an average family-sized swimming pool

Yes, I'd think a "family-sized" swimming pool would be very roughly about the size of two bathtubs (assuming we shoved two family members from a 4-member family into each bathtub). Although there would likely still be extra space left in the bathtub with the kids in it, but no space left in the tub with me and the Missus in it.

Does make me wonder - what's the average volume of a family in Olympic-sized swimming pools?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: That's enough to drain an average family-sized swimming pool

I don't know, but here's our readership in Olympic-sized swimming pools: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/22/readership_stats/

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Happy

Obligatory relevant XKCD:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/144/

As ever, the alt-text picture captions are the funniest part.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
            Happy

Did he do a follow up taking into account the rate of evaporation from the large surface area? Would evaporation outstrip the fill rate?

2. 's water music

Yes, I'd think a "family-sized" swimming pool would be very roughly about the size of two bathtubs (assuming we shoved two family members from a 4-member family into each bathtub). Although there would likely still be extra space left in the bathtub with the kids in it, but no space left in the tub with me and the Missus in it.

Last time I dropped the kids off at the local pool there was suddenly a lot of extra space in it

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

I hear NASA is working on some cool new stuff, but this is just a wingless space shuttle, right?

8. Smilin' Stan
    Pint

1500 gal/sec x 500 sec = 750,000 gallons pumped, then 750,000 gal / 660,000 gal/pool = 1.136 pools emptied.

Note: 1500 gal/sec x 4 engines = 6,000 gal/sec, then 660,000 gal / 6,000 gal/sec = 110 seconds to empty an Olympic-sized pool, not 60 as noted in the article.

For reference, it takes about two minutes to pump ten gallons of fresh, clean gasoline into my xB. As it's Friday, I need to pop off and see how long it takes to draw a pint...

1. Steve Todd

Ah, I was right the first time. The cross-check had the division the wrong way around.

2. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Bulgarian airbags

1.13 Olympic swimming pools = 4910480.7455 Bulgarian airbags (C cup)

3. joed

so how many mpgs will this be?

9. Mpeler
    Paris Hilton

Hmm. How about Saturn V

Lots of tra-la-la about the shuttle, but how does this compare to the Saturn V boosters, and its larger brethren which were planned but never build (I'm thinking of Nova, but there were others).

Still see solid fuel as a liability, tho'...

Paris, because she's wondering what's happened to her pool...

1. Herby

Re: Hmm. How about Saturn V

Yes, the upgoer 5 was a REAL rocket. None of these wimpy solid rocket boosters that you light off and hope they work properly (o-rings and all that). See: http://xkcd.com/1133/

Put an assembled Saturn 5 in space, fuel it up, and you would be at Mars "real quick", you might need pretty good brakes though as you would likely keep going. The other problem is getting full Saturn 5 up in space. It would take a few launches.

Last I heard "real quick" was a couple of days, but I don't have the exact numbers here.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The real quick is still a Honman D orbit so 120 to 140 days.

Getting into low earth orbit is about half the energy requirement. Getting there in only a couple of days will require a constant acceleration on the order of 3 to 6 gees of acceleration. Face it folks this is HARD!

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

If you accelerate at one constant G, flip at midcourse, and decelerate at 1G, you get to Mars in a bit over 40 days.

Supposedly (have not seen the math) but 80 tons of water and the 2 grams of antimatter to turn it to hot disassociated steam would supply the necessary energy for an Apollo command module.

Edit: 2 grams of antimatter is a LOT and illustrates how much energy you need...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Edit: 2 grams of antimatter is a LOT and illustrates how much energy you need...

Indeed. E=mc^2 where E is energy, m is mass (in this example, 0.004 Kg since the 2 grams of antimatter would react with 2 grams of normal matter) and c, the speed of light in a vacuum, is a really, really big number. All multiplied by the same really, really big number.

So, E = shitloads.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Just did a quick and dirty simplistic calculation, assuming Earth-Mars distance at 4.85x10^7 miles (apparently that's the minimum) and zero velocity at arrival and departure (I got the distance from http://www.ces.clemson.edu/ge/staff/park/Class/ENGR120/Problems/Motion/ConstantBoostSpacecraft.html).

Turns out that 10 m/s^2 will cover that distance in about two days - 6 g takes it down to about 20 hours.

However, constant acceleration for that long at that sort of rate - 6g or 1g - is definitely beyond current engineering techniques; i.e., "HARD!".

http://www.universetoday.com/14841/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-to-mars/ says a constant boost craft driven by a VASIMIR engine might reduce the Earth-Mars travel time down to 5 months (not sure exactly what that's about: Mariner 7 got to Mars in 131 days, and 5 months is about 150 days).

1. cray74

a constant boost craft driven by a VASIMIR engine might reduce the Earth-Mars travel time down to 5 months (not sure exactly what that's about: Mariner 7 got to Mars in 131 days, and 5 months is about 150 days).

And New Horizons (its bridge seen here) passed Mars' orbit in 78 days. It also passed Jupiter after almost exactly 1 year of flight versus the 6 years required by Galileo, and passed Saturn's orbit in 29 months versus the 6 years for Cassini.

Galileo, Cassini, and a hypothetical crewed VASIMR-equipped vessel have something in common: they're orbital missions, not flybys like New Horizons and Mariner 7. That means they need to stop at the destination, and reserve propellant to do so. Flyby probes can spend most of their propellant going faster, saving small amounts for course corrections.

The hypothetical VASIMR also has to reserve propellant for the voyage home. So, you're piling payload requirements on payload requirements while subtracting from the available propellant for the initial outbound flight.

Further, there's the point that "constant acceleration" doesn't necessarily mean "really fast." Ion engines and VASIMR have thrusts measured in milli-newtons and newtons, giving infinitesimal accelerations to the proportionally massive spacecraft. Since you're found a constant acceleration calculator, try a flight to Mars using 0.0001G, 1/10,000th of a G. A constant acceleration flight at 1/10,000th G is not much faster than a Hohmann transfer orbit by a chemical rocket, but 1/10,000th G tends to exceed the acceleration of most spacecraft with electric rockets.

The advantage of those electric rockets is the ability to greatly reduce payload fractions spent on propellant, and/or increase onboard delta-V beyond the capability of chemical rockets. Its just that sometimes utilizing that high delta-V takes a really long time, like the entire journey, because acceleration (the rate of velocity change) is so low.

2. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Your basic space shuttle could throw about 24,000lbs into low earth orbit.

A "Coming soon" Space-X Falcon 9 is good for a little more than twice that, say 51,000lbs.

The first SLS systems should put about 70,000lbs up there.

The evolved SLS almost doubles that, to 130,000lbs (if it happens).

Saturn V: 140,000lbs.

[ To be fair, Saturn V was the product of the race to the moon, and the smarter way to accomplish what Apollo did these days would be to assemble the Lunar and Command/Service modules in orbit, possibly even with a reentry module, so you don't need the same amount of lift. ]

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Saturn V payload: 118 tonnes to LEO

SLS payload: 70 tonnes initial, 130 tonnes planned (presumably to LEO)

Nova N-M1 payload: 180 tonnes to LEO (planned, cancelled)

Data from:

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/saturnv.htm

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/rs25-engine-powers-sls.html

But the comparison table here, with references

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_orbital_launch_systems

claims:

Saturn V payload to LEO: 140 tonnes

SLS block 2 payload to LEO: 130,700 (under development)

Long March 9 payload to LEO: 130,000 (under development)

I've come across this monster proposal from the 1960s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_%28rocket%29

Sea Dragon payload to LEO: 550 tonnes planned.

As for solid fuel motors being a liability: well, any rocket motor can blow up if something goes badly wrong. They've got better and better at making solid fuel rockets reliable as time goes by. One advantage they have over liquid fuelled rockets is the lack of complicated moving parts.

I'd not worry so much about the precise engine technology being used so much as the management of the technology when in service: the Space Shuttle Challenger was lost not because the solid fuel booster which failed was a fundamentally dangerous design, but because management failed to take steps to address the problems with the design which became apparent in operational service. More details on that in "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" by Richard Feynman.

- the bit that's worrying for the future is that the Space Shuttle Columbia was also lost due to management failing to take adequate steps to address different problems which had become apparent in the operation of the Space Shuttle, after NASA had promised to fix that class of management problems when they were identified by the investigation in the loss of Challenger.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I still say they should build project Orion.

10. imanidiot Silver badge

I'm barely excited

This project is just going to get cancelled like all those before it anyway. US politicians have given up on space.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: I'm barely excited

I hope they stay that way at least until we have fully established colonies out in space and can stop listening to them...

2. Mark 85
      Flame

All NASA has to do is hit up a few of the more.. hmm... conservative religious Congress-Critters that they're building a spaceship to go to Heaven. Instant funding for as much as they want.

Icon --- for one huge cash-slurping rocket motor....

3. joed

With all the excitement of science discovery, I'm not so excited about chipping in from my taxes. Surely politicians will find some other worthy spend (like a war) and I bet for future tax increases anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> "I like this new RAPTURE ROCKET, it will go heavenward like it's Armageddon"

> "No, Congressman, it's called a 'RAPTOR'"

> "Yes, Yes. Now, we just need a plan to get all the Jews to Israel fast so that the end times may be unleashed and all the non-Xtians get what they deserve. Pity the Eye-Ranians gave up their nuke ideas, we will have to find some other reason to push the button..."

11. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    WTF?

Pressure

Pressure within the RS-25 is equivalent to the pressure a submarine experiences three miles beneath the ocean.

How is that comparison useful to anyone?

I'm working on the assumption here that NASA provided that stat. If it was actually Reg, jolly good show.

1. notowenwilson

Re: Pressure

Pretty sure there are no submarines that can go that deep. Submersibles-yes, submarines-not so much.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Pressure

>three miles beneath the ocean... How is that comparison useful to anyone?

Haha, maybe to the engineers of the Alvin submersible, perhaps!

http://xkcd.com/1040/large/

12. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The motor breathing fire yesterday...

Doesn't parse.

Maybe one of...

The motor, breathing fire yesterday...

The fire breathing motor yesterday...

The motor breathed fire yesterday...

1. Mpeler
      Paris Hilton

Re: The motor breathing fire yesterday...

The pulsing, throbbing, enflamed engine wrothe with fire as it pierced the test of its maiden flight...

It WAS a dark and stormy night...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The motor breathing fire yesterday...

Oh damn, purple prose!

13. Lars Silver badge
    Flame

Shape on wheels

Came to think of it, do you recognize a very old invention from the "steam age" in that picture.

14. Mario Becroft
    FAIL

So, we just test-fired a Space Shuttle Main Engine, the one that's been flying for, oh, about 20 years? This is news?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like