back to article NASA ejects nappy-wearing astronaut

NASA has fired Lisa Nowak, the astronaut who was charged last month with the attempted kidnapping of a woman she saw as a rival for the affections of fellow astronaut Bill Oefelein. Nowak is reported to have driven 1,000 miles to confront Colleen Shipman. According to the BBC, she wore a nappy to avoid having to make toilet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Law

Can someone please tell me why on earth the millitry (both in the US and the UK) are not governd by Civilian Law. Perhaps Life would be a bit better if they were. Obveously this would have to change when on active service, but why do these people keep getting away with this kind of stuff? Take the problems at Northcut Barraks in the UK.

2. Chad H.

Brilliant

So she's too nuts to be let behind the wheel (stick?) of an Unarmed space shuttle, but its okay to send her back where she has access to armed planes, guns, ammo, missles, etc?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mental Illness still not taken seriously

The way that Nowak was treated and the juvenile reaction in the media shows how little is understood about mental illness.

4. America_Fk_Yeah

Its called a diaper for christs sake

You brits come up with the most creative words for things. You've got to explain where the term 'nappy' comes from.

5. Dillon Pyron

Conduct Unbecoming

She's looking at a court martial for Conduct Unbecoming of an Officer. She'll probably get away with a general discharge. Meanwhile, her ex-flame is probably looking at the same charge.

Additionally, was she ever his commanding officer?

6. Matt Caldwell

Got away?

I seriously doubt she got off easy because she is in the military. If anything she got the short end of the stick. She was fired from NASA, sent back to the Navy in disgrace, and will definetly face a court martial. Military courts have a reputation for being more harsh (or at least conservative) than civilian courts a lot of the time.

7. Scott Mckenzie

Diaper - WTF!?

To throw that one back in your court, where in gods name does the term diaper come from!

8. Lynne Ashcroft

Diaper v nappy

The word diaper originally referred to the type of cloth rather than its use. Diaper cloth was originally linen. The first known reference is in Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew : "Another bear the ewer, the third a diaper". This usage stuck in the United States and Canada, but in Britain the word nappy (short for baby napkin) took its place. Nappy sounds perfectly sensible to me (but then I'm a Brit!)

9. Patrick McKee

Driven to Far

Driven to Far

(sung to the tune of Drive My Car...)

Asked a girl what she wanted to be

She said baby, can't you see

I wanna get even, and be real happy

I’m driving down to Florida wear’n a nappy.

Baby I wont wipe my ass

When I have to stop for gas

Baby I wont wipe my ass

And maybe I'll love you

I told the judge that my butt is real sore

He said baby, its from what you wore

Driving to Orlando is all very OK

But you should have stopped and gone Pott-a

Baby I wont wipe my ass

When I have to stop for gas

Baby I wont wipe my ass

And maybe I'll love you