back to article NASA preps stadium-size sandwich bag launch

NASA is gearing up for the fourth launch of its high-altitude, heavy-lift super pressure balloon (SPB) tech, which involves hosting a 1,025kg payload aloft under a helium-filled "pumpkin-shaped, football stadium-size balloon" crafted from "22-acres of polyethylene film - similar to a sandwich bag, but stronger". The SPB will …

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

April 1st....

Hmmm. Anyone thinking this might just be some big prank, sending up a ton of tech using a giant inflated condom, given the date...?

2. Robin

SPB

I trust the real SPB are firing up the lawyers as we read this?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: SPB

Indeed. There will be writs flying forthwith.

1. Jon 37
        Coat

Ah, but do you have FAA clearance to fly those writs?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re: SPB

Blast. I'd better get the application in.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

No! No! NO!

Don't sue. Simply use the SPB logo prominently in your FAA application, but reapply with your own NASA logo as well, and try to imply that you are part of NASA. After all, turnabout is fair play. And it should certainly improve the speediness of your dealings with the FAA.

Now we just need to get working on the backronym...

Nonsensical Aeronautical Silliness Agency

Non Alcoholic (Sometimes) Aeronautics

Sorry, not having much luck with cudgelling answers from the old brain this arvo.

1. Captain DaFt

Never Again Stateside Avionics?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

"I trust the real SPB are firing up the lawyers as we read this?"

Why? All the beer and bacon butties seem to be making Team SPB pumpkin shaped. Defamation has to be untrue to be actionable.

Paris. Because she doesn't get used as much these days.

3. Stevie

Bah!

Onward into the 1940s!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Retrieval?

After that period of flight of 54 days, how do they intend to retrieve the gear?

a) They don't. It becomes a crater or generates a splash in some ocean, or....

b) GPS and chutes?

c) If all goes well, the balloon won't simply pop and can slowly descend after losing some gas?

I assume the research gear isn't exactly... er....inexpensive and becoming a crater is cost-effective?

1. Queasy Rider

Re:how do they intend to retrieve the gear?

They don't. After that long in the upper atmosphere, subjected to all the uv rays, the plastic will be so rotten that the balloon will disintegrate the first time a high flying bird perches on it during re-entry.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Retrieval?

Pics look to me like there is a parachute between the instrument package and the ballon. My guess is they monitor the balloon's position and detatch the balloon part when they want to retrieve the instruments - provided there is a suitable landing zone (the OZ outback should do). The sandwich bag will be lost, but as Queasy Rider has already pointed out it wouldn't be re-use able anyway.

5. Herby

Move over LOHAN

Here comes some special competition. Of course LOHAN was first with the idea, and claims the northern hemisphere. NASA can have the southern half.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: Move over LOHAN

or maybe, just maybe, NASA decided to launch in New Zealand so they do not have to deal with FAA ?

6. Mark 85
    Coat

The tin foil hatter in me is alive....

Could it be that the FAA won't give permission because NASA is using the LOHAN tech?

Icon -----> Mine's the 38-extra-extra long in white with the stylish leather straps.

7. ma1010
    Paris Hilton

Okay, sort of half a Rose Bowl Stadium size?

But how many Olympic Swimming Pools or Bulgarian Airbags does that equate to? Inquiring minds want to know.

8. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I wonder what's it like when people ask you what job you do, and you tell them you're with NASA and then have to explain that you are working with balloons...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not rocket science...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like