back to article Oracle support sackings and 'consolidation' almost complete

Oracle's planned consolidation of support locations is “done and dusted” in most of Europe and complete in Australia, meaning support for “most products” is now done offshore, The Register has learned. The Register's Australian office has twice approached Oracle seeking clarification of local impacts from our November 2015 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unbelievable that a company would change to offer worse support.

Well, I lied, it is totally believable.

I used to get good support from Front Porch Digital.

Oracle took them over, now it's shit.

Anon obviously.

Oracle suck.

Just wanted to put that in as I'm anon.

BTW, fuck Oracle.

Okay, I'll let it go now.

Have a nice day y'all.

Except Oracle.(sorry).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unbelievable that a company would change to offer worse support.

Also Oracle in Australia is full of ex Sun Support Management... A problem Oracle inherited back in 2008. I hear some of those rats have jumped ship already, while others been sittng around waiting for a redundancy for the past 8 years... I hope they've got what they wanted. They needed to taste a bit of their own medicine.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unbelievable that a company would change to offer worse support.

"some of their engineered systems"

I have the root cause for you.

2. Mark 85

That they would say this...

Oracle's represented the closure of in-country phone support as a consolidation that will enable better support. Support provided by teams in Egypt, Romania, India and the United States.

I would imagine that the US support group is small and getting smaller. The rest are script monkeys at best. This boggles the mind and given the way companies are cutting costs, it's not surprising. I wonder how many customers will now run for another vendor? And that's probably only if there's another vendor who can provide support and/or a compatible product to transition to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That they would say this...

And that's probably only if there's another vendor who can provide support and/or a compatible product to transition to.

If you're a big company and have committed to a vast ERP implementation (the sort of thing people like Oracle and SAP love to sell) there's nowhere to run. The costs of change are vast, and any project that touches your finance or CRM systems is hugely risky. Even if the vendor support is crap and expensive, clients are locked in to the product, and what's to choose between the big two?

And even if another ERP vendor builds scale and looks as though they might be an option for clients, the big two just buy them, and Borg them into their model. You could go down the third party support route, and at least those conpanies live or die by the quality of their offering, but with closed source software there always that hint of paying money for old rope, and the threat that the IP owner will try and obstruct or tax third party support providers, to make up for "lost" income that they believe is theirs as of right.

3. Mark Simon

What a surprise …

Oh look, large company with a vice-like grip on its customers is saving its own money at the expense of its customers. This works as long as customers have no alternative — until they find one.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: What a surprise …

I've been looking at a roadmap this morning that shows Oracle being driven to the scrapyard and a nice new vehicle called EnterpriseDB/Postgres picking up where Oracle left off.

Training starts Q3. Good stuff!

2. TheVogon

Re: What a surprise …

"large company with a vice-like grip on its customers"

There is a choice for greenfield users not to use Oracle, and stuff like this stops that new business in it's tracks. I can't see many reasons to choose Oracle these days - unless you really want to be personally sponsoring their efforts to win the America's cup!

The only time I use Oracle these days if I can possible help it is if RAC is absolutely required, as no other database can yet match this for real time load balancing and failover functionality afaik.

"EnterpriseDB/Postgres picking up where Oracle left off."

Any market share figures to back that up? The vast majority I see that moves goes to MS SQL Server.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IBM did the same thing a few years back with what their called GDM, and see where that got them now - 15 quarters in a row of not making their target. I saw it coming, the customers eventually find you out, but it's obvious the bean counters at HQ didn't.

The sad thing is the man who made the call is probably long gone working elsewhere, and sadly he will be bragging on his CV how he saved IBM millions. Pity that the ruining of a good name can't be added to his CV...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, he's probably still around IBM.

5. el_oscuro
    WTF?

USA?

I'm just surprised that there is still US based support. I guess they need to keep a little bit in the US, maybe to comply with US government regulations or some such.

6. Blofeld's Cat
    Facepalm

Hmm...

"Support is now provided by teams in Egypt, Romania, India and the United States."

Well at least they have gone for countries with an impeccable record on data security.

Oh, wait ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm...

Worse still they've outsourced support to incompetent people as well as Egypt, India and Romania.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm...

That's not outsourcing, it's offshoring. Oracle was actually extremely aggressive about insourcing all support, which went completely contrary to what Sun intended, which was on its way to outsourcing third line support and product engineering if possible.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck Oracle

That is all

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fuck Oracle

Yeah, that is the general sentiment, but until some people actually start replacing Oracle product, Oracle will tell you to punch the wall and make sure the check is in the mail.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enjoy the Oracle "Customer Experience"

There is much touting of Oracle's customer experience expertise, but unfortunately that much vaunted technology does not extend to Oracle's own customers.

Basically, in the dash to "cloud," Oracle has jettisoned it's own on-premise products and ancillary services. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Enjoy the Oracle "Customer Experience"

Oracle has great CX software according to Oracle. It is mostly rebranded legacy Siebel from the 90s.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck Oracle

I've taken a leaf from Cato the Elder's book, and have begun ending all my meetings with "Furthermore, we must move away from Oracle".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sad, bad true.

I have many certs from them, and really am an expert on Oracle products... but these days, they seem more and more like a scam than a product.

2. greatscot

Delenda est Oracle

It would make a good password.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tell us about it

take a look at the trouble the Research Councils are currently having with Oracle. Major issues facing their finance, grant proposals, and other systems been ongoing for several weeks now.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anon for well, reasons

My excompany used to provide support and dev for an extremely complex system that had interfaces with 16 other systems, and had hundreds of thousands of lines source code.

So our client decided that should be made on the cheap, with just two dudes.. and I was the "leader" of the desperate team.

Of course, service was terrible, byt hey, it seemed to be cheap. They lost millions of euros just because of that, but saved a few hundred thousands...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look; Oracle Does what Oracle Wants.....they dont give a F**K about anyone...EVER

The sooner people realise this the better.....

When Oracle bought Sun, they tried to treat it like the other 50 odd gobble ups.....

They actually didnt care how many ex-Sun customers they p155ed off or got rid of them - there was a percentage plucked out of thin air that as long as they were within - it was just "the spoils of purchasing a company is that you will loose some of that companies customers"....

THEY DONT CARE - THEY ARE NOT INTERESTED.....

Doesnt matter how much we bemoan how crap Oracle are on here or anywhere else....they have contracts that pay BEEELLLIONS of dollars.......and its unlikely that will change anytime soon....

As much as Postgres,etc are taking things over ... its 7 years since Sun were bought by Oracle - and the number of systems out there still running Solaris are still quite significant.....even though Oracle screwed the entire company....

Just think how many implimentations of Oracle DB are out there and how hard it is just to code, test and impliment the change to a single application....

Get real... the timeframes on any significant change to removing Oracle DB are HUGE and at this point, will very likely out-live Larry himself!

MEH....is all I can say.....Oracle are evil and will continue to be....but they know there is nothing anyone can do that wont let them be evil for decades to come.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Look; Oracle Does what Oracle Wants.....they dont give a F**K about anyone...EVER

Just a bit of history here. It was Jonathon Schwartz who screwed Sun.

Here's What Larry Ellison had to say about back then:

“[Sun] management made some very bad decisions that damaged their business and allowed us to buy them for a bargain price.”

"... Jonathan spent too much time on his blog (translating it into 11 languages!) and too little time solving Sun’s management problems."

“The underlying engineering teams are so good, but the direction they got was so astonishingly bad that even they couldn’t succeed,” Ellison told Reuters. “Really great blogs do not take the place of great microprocessors. Great blogs do not replace great software. Lots and lots of blogs does not replace lots and lots of sales.”

First, Jonathan allowed them to be paid based on deal sizes, not on profit. Larry says this made it so “the sales force could care less if they sold things that lost money because the commission was the same in either case.”

Then Jonathan laid off salespeople at StorageTek, a Sun subsidiary that sells mainframe storage to the enterprise.

“They just got rid of them all,” says Larry.

“Guess what? Sales dropped. It’s breathtaking!”

Sun didn't give a Sh!t how many STK customer's they've pissed of either. So why why should Oracle care about those few remaining SUN customers ?

13. Pascal Monett Silver badge

“consolidation” of support resources [..] Oracle has no comment to make

Funny that. There is not one example of support outsourcing that has brought actual, tangible benefits to customers.

I would have thought that the industry, as a whole, has gone through the call center outsourcing fad and seen the light. Several large companies have declared recreating support centers in-country in the past 18 months. I took that as a sign that this was the end of the fad and things would be set straight again.

I was obviously wrong.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Offshoring Support

Just like to point out that some of this can be explained by the race to the bottom death spiral that is affecting Western Capitalism in general and the IT sector in particular. It goes something like :-

Customer says that he is paying too much for software support. Why should I pay for patches to your badly written software product. It almost encourages you to write bad software and then extort money from me when my business is dependent on it.

So, vendor has to respond by cutting support charges and offshoring costs. It might work out in the long term for the vendor and the client. Customers can respond by going to the cloud (perhaps, if this an option) or by doing what Amazon, Facebook et al do. Roll their own IT using Open Compute hardware and Open source software. Or pay big bucks for someone else to manage it all. If GE can say that moving everything to the Cloud was a huge success (effectively outsourcing a lot of their IT) then who are we to argue. It is pretty rich though for a lot of IT clients to complain about poor support, when that is precisely what they are dishing out to their customers (I'm thinking Banks and public utilities here among others). The only thing on the agenda for most companies today is 'cut costs today and we'll face any music tomorrow - that is if we are even still in business'. If huge banks can do what they are doing their customers and get away with it, then no problems for anyone else then.

It's not just specific to Oracle, it's just that their software is so pervasive (invasive ??) that a lot more people get to notice and voice their discontent.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Problem is ...

... that this doesn't affect the folk that sign the cheques. They aren't the poor buggers trying to get a sensible answer out of Oracle. Nor are they the shmucks ensuring that despite everything the staff and suppliers get paid and management get their pretty charts every month.

And what is the alternative? If you've invested heavily in Oracle applications, what do you do? Sure as hell won't be cheap to move to SAP or Aggresso or Dynamics. Then there's the issue that all of your business processes are based around the Oracle processes. Or have you developed your own apps on a large Oracle database? Do you really want the effort of changing your code to access a different database? In any case, can anyone guarantee that they will always have experienced support consultants based locally?

Finally, if you are large enough to think you need Oracle, you already know that every large organisation will offshore as much as they can to make the most of cheap labour. I mean, all of those large directors' bonuses have to be paid somehow.

And a FWIW - I've been implementing Oracle EBS for over 20 years and have already seen the quality of support diminish. Used to be you'd raise a TAR and actually deal with someone who knew the product. That has changed and as already mentioned, you deal with someone that is following a script and the SR ping-pongs between you until you get to the right page in the script, a light bulb flashed on and they send you a patch. Despite you explaining in minute detail what the problem is and what the likely cause might be at the very outset.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its not just Oracle shifting jobs offshore.

Australia losing in all areas:

Most IT jobs have been outsourced (Although I hear the Bendigo Bank have no plans to do it, lets all switch bank)

Starter jobs for kids have gone, ie trolley boys, packers, service station attendants.

You here bangon on the TV about ADLI and Costco, both offshore companies which means profits offshore and not stimulating our economy

Note only that, most of our super Is in blue chip companies like Woolies and Wesfarmers, yet ACA give a one sided view that Its better to shop at ALDI or Costco.

We are also selling off Australia, Ive love to see the map of Australia now, must have huge gaping holes in it by now. We'll enjoy a a future where our good farming land with be farmed by others and sent overseas with no regulations, that's ok, cos the ship will be full of second grade food for us to eat.

I dont think we will be able to support the infrastructure in Australia too much longer as know one will have jobs to pay taxes. Hop it doesn't lead us down the path of WWIII

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like