back to article Former Brit police IT boss cuffed over bribery allegations

The recent head of IT services for Hampshire and Thames Valley police in the UK has been arrested on suspicion of bribery. After early morning raids on properties in Hampshire and Middlesex, Brian Chant, 57, who lives with his parents at the property in Andover, was arrested by officers from the City of London Police. The …

1. Lysenko

"a senior chief constable"

What's a "senior" chief constable? Outside of London it is the highest rank there is? Surely this is like saying "senior CEO" or "senior Prime Minister".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "a senior chief constable"

What's a "senior" chief constable? Outside of London it is the highest rank there is?

Maybe it's a politically correct way of saying he's old, as in "prone to having senior moments"..

2. Cynical Observer
      Thumb Up

Re: "a senior chief constable"

"senior Prime Minister".

Oh please .... couldn't we have one of these. One who would say

"David, enough is enough! Time to stop making a mess. Now go and tidy it all up before you come in for tea!"

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Senior Prime Minister

Oh please .... couldn't we have one of these. One who would say

"David, enough is enough! Time to stop making a mess. Now go and tidy it all up before you come in for tea!"

I thought you guys had Liz & Phil for that sort of thing?

1. 's water music

Re: Senior Prime Minister

I thought you guys had Liz & Phil for that sort of thing?

Errm, Brenda & Keith shirley? But they tend to be too tied up with Lizard People meetings to get hands on with the PM like that. Anyway I'm sure that the cabinet office already have a "provider of personal services" on retainer for issuing nanny style tellings off to the cabinet members that like that sort of thing

2. Dan Wilkie

Is it just me that really hates it when you put an * like there'll be a foot note, and then never follow it up?

I'm on the edge of my seat here...

On LinkedIn, Chant claims to have previously held "UK Government Security Clearance to DV (Top Secret) and SC (Secret)." *

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

The could tell you what the asterisk means, but then they'd have to kill you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When I last had a UK security clearance, it was a breach of the conditions of that clearance to reveal it to anyone without good reason. LinkedIn - good reason?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since when are you allowed to publicly state your clearance?

I'm puzzled - maybe I'm a bit older, but advertising your clearance was in the IRA days equivalent to painting a target on your back and I'm not sure it's even allowed.

By the way, SC already gives access to Top Secret, DV (developed vetting) is for what lies beyond so my trust in this chap would have been diminished by this BS alone.

Some basics can be found on the UK government website.

1. smudge
      Black Helicopters

Re: Since when are you allowed to publicly state your clearance?

SC permits unsupervised access to SECRET, and occasional, supervised access to TS.

DV permits frequent, unsupervised access to TS.

So what he said was correct and not BS - it just omitted some of the detail.

But I agree with your puzzlement about him advertising his clearance.

1. 2460 Something

Whether he is guilty or innocent it seems to me that he thinks name/clearance-dropping automatically makes him untouchable (How dare you arrest me. DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?).

I also don't see how his protestations that the charges are prior to working with the police have any bearing on the matter either. If he did take a bribe he is still guilty of taking a bribe. If he didn't and it turns out to be malicious and baseless accusations I do hope they charge whoever was behind it. It is much too easy to point the finger of blame when you know there will be no negative outcomes even if your lying through your teeth.

1. VinceH

"Whether he is guilty or innocent it seems to me that he thinks name/clearance-dropping automatically makes him untouchable (How dare you arrest me. DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?)."

That doesn't appear to be what's happening here - that's just the stuff El Reg pulled from his LinkedIn profile.

1. 2460 Something

You are of course correct. I read

"I work at quite a senior level and reported to a senior chief constable and had regular meetings with them,”"

and missed that the other was pulled from his linkedin profile. 2+2=5 and all that.

4. PaulAb

Utterly Appalled...

I'm actually shocked. I always thought Cheif Constables got involved in anything only if National TV was going to be present, talking to IT just doesn't cut the mustard!

The West Mercia region is starved of National TV recognition and so I would like to put forward our IT director/manager for some crime so that our Chief constable can gain some valuable recognition (outside of his own home). I hear he has trained intensively to give out the 'Sincere' look, it would be a shame to waste it

5. Marc 25

Brian Chant, 57, who lives with his parents

"Brian Chant, 57, who lives with his parents...."

He's not the Police IT Boss...he's a very naughty boy!

Seriously though, 57 years old and living with mum and dad still? That's just dragged the IT nerdy image back 10 years, thanks Brian!

Re: Brian Chant, 57, who lives with his parents

So, another IT guy living in his mum's basement?

Sorry, my bad - Underground Command Centre then.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Perhaps the alternative for mum and dad is a care home?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Seriously though, 57 years old and living with mum and dad still?

Go to most European countries and you'll find this is very common; people move in with their old folks to help look after them, instead of the taxpayer.

1. Cynic_999

Perhaps if it had been expressed, "Brian Chant, 57, whose parents live with him," it would have given a different impression while saying the same thing?

4. phuzz Silver badge
      Meh

If he's 57 then his folks will be in their early seventies at least, so it's probable that he's at least a part time carer or something of that sort.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Camberwick

Brian Chant arrested by PC McGarry No.452, I presume.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"“I had a good relationship with the police, I was working there from October 2014 until about three weeks ago. They were happy with what I was doing, I work at quite a senior level and reported to a senior chief constable and had regular meetings with them,” Chant told the Echo.

Considering how often we see news stories of chief constables being suspended and investigated, I'm not entirely convinced that his explanation above is a particularly ringing endorsement of anything. That's not to say that the chief constable in question is anything other than a paragon of virtue, but the track record of certain individual chief constables and ACPO Ltd as a whole has been less then stellar in some instances.

8. Alan Brown Silver badge

ACPO

"the track record of certain individual chief constables and ACPO Ltd as a whole has been less then stellar in some instances."

Only some?

ACPO has done everything it possibly could to avoid being held publicly accountable and auditable. That kind of behaviour is not what you shoudl expect from a police SERVICE(*)

(*) No, not a force. A police force implies policing by authoritarian decree rather than by consent and whilst some police might believe it should be that way, it's not the way UK policing is supposed to be run.

1. Marc 25

Re: ACPO

You wanna be a big cop in small town? F**k off down the model villaage!

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: ACPO

"Only some?"

I was leaving plenty of wiggle room. They have lawyers! :-)

9. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like