back to article Beep, beep – it's our 2016 buzzword detector. We see you, 'complexity'

A new marketing push by legacy tech vendors that I expect will be particularly beloved by old school storage vendors is afoot: prepare for the "complexity" onslaught. The answer to lower total cost of ownership (TCO) claims made by the likes of public cloud or hyperconvergence vendors is going to be money funneled into endless …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Complexity

The best way to handle complexity is the brisk OpsDev approach, obviously.

1. Lysenko

OpsDev

As usual you completely forget that without power, cooling and a waterproof roof all your fancy hyperconvoluted Opsy Devy stuff is just a pile of dead, hot, damp scrap.

FacOps is the future! Facilities aligned with Operations at last!!

The next step is Hyperconverged FacOps (where we teach sysadmins how to change a fuse).

Re: OpsDev

Damn it, this business is moving at a fast pace - you take a coffee break and miss the latest BigThingTM already!

2. Ragarath

Re: OpsDev @lysenko

Wow you've just given a name to what I already do at my current job. Thank!

1. Lysenko

Re: OpsDev @lysenko

You're welcome. Now that you have a buzzword for it you can change your job title to "Thought Leader" and demand that your salary be doubled ;)

2. To Mars in Man Bras!
    Headmaster

You What?

I've no idea what that article was about. Far too complex.

I've run the word "complexity" past my inner "Fist Clench Seismograph" and it didn't really register. I think it will have to go some yet, to beat my all-time favourites:

1: Awesome

2: Solutions

3: Reach Out <--- a recent entry into the charts, but climbing fast.

1. picturethis

Re: You What?

My all-time top favourite:

"synergy"

When I hear/read that word in a presentation, my "Fist Clench Seismograph" hits an "11" (out of 10)....\

1. Boothy

"Leverage" and especially "Leveraging" [sic]

Makes my skin crawl. <shudder>

What's wrong with "use" and "utilise"?

1. GrumpenKraut

Please use "use", "utilise" needs to die.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

IT managers and project manager types prefer to "leverage" synergy rather than "use" it.

First time an IT manager said "leverage synergies between our groups" to me back in the 90's I started to laugh. Then realized he was serious. It's been a steady downhill slide since then.

2. GrumpenKraut
        Coat

> "synergy"

Gasp! I'll raise you a "proactive". Mine is the one with the vomit stains.

1. Tom 38

These are all interesting data points guys, I can feel the synergy flowing through the project. Lets kick all the negativity in to the long grass and align ourselves to the big picture.

1. Swarthy

@Tom 38

We need to continue this off-line, and maintain our focus on the dynamic on our plates.

2. Pascal

Utilizing proactive synergies, you can leverage hyperconverged, software-defined devops... no...

By leveraging hyperconverged synergies, software-defined devops can...

Nah, I give up.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No no, carry on -- you nearly had it. Maybe "... software-defined devops can pivot to a new complexity-free paradigm."

It's the "pivot" that makes it, you see. Sounds like an action verb without actually meaning anything.

3. Captain DaFt

-My all-time top favourite:

"synergy"-

Mine is still the classic - paradigm

It was honest. When someone used it, you knew they expected 20 cents for their 2 cents worth.

2. To Mars in Man Bras!

4: Going Forward <--- for those times when "from now on" doesn't sound dynamic and progressive enough.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

"Reach out" has been common for 2 years at least. I hate it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Everyone with an ounce of reason does.

From now on (excuse me, "going forward") every time you see "reach out" just mentally translate it to "reach around" and it makes things a bit more entertaining.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you're in a car race, you expect to be able to manage and fix your hardware

While "consumer" drivers do no expect to be able to diagnose and fix their hardware, if you're a car race team you expect to have that skill (and the expertise). You're not going to buy and race with a car you have to call the maker to fix it. Same for communication equipment (and you would be surprised how many repair shops do exist where people cannot easily replace a phone with a newer one, or high-end used models are kept alive...)

So everything is down to "what kind of user are you?"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Lysenko

BTW - J'accuse

Back in the mid 90's I managed to run a 100MHz Pentium, 64MB RAM, SCSI RAID array, Etherlink III cards and Citrix WinFrame all in the same box without ever realising I was "Hyperconverged". Even more astonishingly, the damn thing even worked sans buzzword!

Thankfully your articles have reminded me that whilst that putting processing, storage, networking and virtualisation in the same box is an idea even Babbage probably thought of, a good 14 letter buzzword can make it as fresh, new and exciting as electric orange 24 inch flares (errr...).

Re: BTW - J'accuse

Buzzwords are the go-faster-stripes of the IT business.

5. Graham Marsden
    Happy

The future is disposable...

... and so are you!

- From the Cyberpunk RPG

6. tim 13

I've solved the 'hair on fire' problem, I went bald

7. Unep Eurobats
    Boffin

Complexity? Huh

Far too old-skool. I give you ... complexification.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Complexity? Huh

Nothing to joke about. There are actual "smartification" projects going on here. The unsmartified mind boggles.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sharp intake of breath

Complexity is just a way of saying that at some point it's going to stop working suddenly and no one will have a clue how to fix it. Conversely everyone will know that it's going to be very expensive to fix.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. P. Lee

Re: Sharp intake of breath

>Complexity is just a way of saying that at some point it's going to stop working suddenly and no one will have a clue how to fix it.

Mostly because we fired all the techies and outsourced to Elbonia. That didn't work but we don't want to pay for the right people so we have to live with this cloud thing and convert all our apps to https - the only thing that works without a firewall change.

It still boggles the mind to that people think unfathomable owa/https is better security than imaps through a firewall.

9. Bibbit
    Headmaster

Pedantry alert...

I am sure someone will smack me down if I am wrong but if we are being technical should we not be using the word "complicacy" rather than "complexity" in this context?

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Pedantry alert...

Merriam-Webster identifies complexity and complicacy as synonyms in this context. The Firefox spell-checker also doesn't recognize complicacy as a word, and I'd never heard it before, so kudos for obscure word knowledge!

10. MrT

Periphrasis...

... seems to fit the bill describing these things, but TBH they always end up sounding antiphrastic. Sorry for causing anyone any pericabobulations by using real words without creating a new definition paradigm first.

I always remember the Dilbert cartoon where he sets the target "To leverage greater synergies across technology platforms". I used that once in one of my annual reviews and it nearly made it through before someone up the line spotted that it was bollocks. Still, he saw the funny side, as he tossed the review sheet back at me.

11. Keven E

What me worry?

There are very few cases where "functionality" is appropriate... as "functions" will do.

Another that bothers me is "win-win"... mainly because it acknowledges only two perspectives of the *story.

12. Commswonk

Thanks again, Mr Adams...

Obligatory Dilbert cartoon:

http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=clutch

13. A K Stiles
    Joke

What?

24 Hours have gone by and nobody has tried to 'touch base' yet? Maybe it's been decided somewhere that touching someone's base is not appropriate workplace behaviour?

14. A K Stiles
    Joke

Meeting Twitch Syndrome

I swear some of my colleagues think I've had a stroke or some kind of fit in some meetings. Mine is not so much an inner Fist Clench Seismograph®TM as an exterior dentist-enriching, teeth-grinding, eye-twitching, drink snorting that has a scale which runs from Plain English to f-right off.It's rather a binary scale.

15. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Uh-huh.

And the best way to counter the 'complexity' buzz was to chant 'legacy'...'legacy'...'legacy'...five frikkin' times?

Oh, well, at least it's five, not fifteen as another author managed to pull off.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like