back to article Backup bods at Microsoft lose CA audit data after server crash

Microsoft is asking its certificate authority (CA) affiliates to send it their own copies of audit data after a MS system crash resulted in data loss. Microsoft lost audit data for about 147 roots after a system crash. The incident had the knock-on effect of generating query emails to scores of affected (temporarily disavowed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Cloudy bollocks

I look after my own data, I have backups (GFS) on site and off and I have a DR site with replicas. I also have a business continuity plan. It's probably not foolproof but the whole lot is tested regularly.

If anyone is going to lose my data it will be me and not someone else. So I'll pass on AWS, Azure et al.

1. adnim

@gerdesj Re: Cloudy bollocks

Same. I trust no one except my self and that trust is flaky.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poor dog fooding

Microsoft dog fooding. Demonstrating that even when MS are running their own software thay can't manage without system crashes and lost critical data.

1. adnim

Re: Poor dog fooding

Some people might care about this ;-)

3. Anonymous Bullard

Why don't they just restore their back-ups?

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Thumb Down

"Why don't they just restore their back-ups?"

- They have none.

- They have them, but they are unusable.

- The backups they do have are incomplete.

- They've lost their AppleID login credentials and can't access them.

Pick one.

4. Shane McCarrick

I'm only a home user- but I keep off-site backups (security feeds etc). What the hell were Microsoft up to? This does not inspire confidence........

1. adnim

Never had confidence in MS to begin with, No problem here.

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Does not inspire confidence at all... what if they lost a couple of VLK licences and you have to stump out some $$$ to get new VLK's?

6. Jim 43

The wrong person wrote that message

Missed an opportunity to make a joke about root cause analysis of the root CA audit data loss.

Addressed to "Many of you" -- So, uh, guys, we're not 100% sure which roots are impacted (is that important?).

This is likely an error on our side -- We don't know how this happened and the one person capable of reading the log files is not present, or we don't log, or it was malicious activity from some unknown third party.

It looks like it rolled back to an old backup -- again, we have some logging issues to resolve. No idea what happened, but it's possible that the system spontaneously decided to initiate a restore, or maybe Todd in storage was messing with snapshots...

lost data for about 147 roots -- I know, specific huh? Anyway, the mail log guy was available and he tells us that there were 146 similar emails sent along with the one we got a panicked reply about. So, yeah, we think 147 is about right. But maybe not.

If you received a message -- But the mail log guy is not quite as competent with regex so, while he was able to identify the message content match, he might have munged the To: field. Alternately, they discovered that the initial message was poorly crafted and likely caught in spam filters.

Please don't panic -- You really should panic

Sorry for the confusion -- Really? Sorry for the confusion. How about "Sorry for the fuck ups"

7. steamnut

Too big to fail?

Miscoso$t spends lots of dollars trying to sell us their cloudy services as secure etc. It beggars belief that they are not one of their own customers. If Azure is not god enough for Microso$t then why should be trust it at all? Add to that the regular Office 365 failures over the last year and you start to question the ability of Microso$t to really turn itself into an online services company.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Microsoft never was and never will be a services company.

Every EULA of every one of their products has always indicated that you use it at your own risk and Microsoft is liable for nothing.

It seems Microsoft is not even liable for the proper record-keeping of its own certs.

And people keep on buying these clowns' software.

8. HmmmYes

How in fucksake is this possible? Seriously?

Shut them down as rogue company.

9. PNGuinn
    FAIL

Oh, the opportunities for mischief.....

See icon.

10. Dan 55 Silver badge

"Our CRM system suffered a data loss"

They mean Sharepoint had a senior moment.

11. HmmmYes

What sort of system is setup so that a CRM system is capable of overwriting a backup?

1. hplasm
      Devil

What sort of system is setup so that a CRM system is capable of overwriting a backup?

Begins with A_____. Sold to chumps by M________.

12. nilfs2
    FAIL

MS incompetence strikes again!

And people keep using their products still

13. Jimbo 6

Does anyone really still fall for these pathetic scams ?

"Due to a problem on our servers, your CA audit records have been lost.

This requires you to verify your account being the recipient of this update. Failure to verify your records will result in account suspension.

Click on the Verify button below and enter your login information on the following page to Confirm your records.

Thank you

Microsoft Team"

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Know your enemy!

Anyone else see the hand of FBI blackops in this after MSFT came out for APPL.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon