back to article No more Nookie for Blighty as Barnes & Noble pulls out

Barnes & Noble's Nook business in the US is faltering, but that's nothing compared to the UK, where it's exiting and handing operations to Sainsbury's. The company has posted this announcement on its UK site. Effective from March 15, 2016, NOOK will no longer sell digital content in the United Kingdom. The NOOK Store on NOOK …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Another white flag is raised

after Amazon and its (IMHO) foopah by removing encryption yesterday the future for these devices seems limited. Rather a shame really the Kindle paperwhite is still pretty good for what is does best i,e, allow you to read ebooks even in daylight.

Is the tablet market in general doomed? I'm sure a lot of people will say so. After all does not everyone have a better device these days with their mega sized phones?

Personally, I think they are wrong. A letterbox sized screen is not ideal for reading books which, lets face it are more suited to a 4:3 screen ratio.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Another white flag is raised

This is not the tablet market, it is the content market.

The way large publishing houses have set-up their digital content agreements prices, discounts, etc are applicable _ONLY_ if you sell X amount per year in a geography. If you do not, you no longer get discounted prices and in the worst cases you do not even get content licensed for that geography.

Nook failed to get its numbers. So it effectively lost its content source.

That is not surprising - the Amazon juggernaut is now unstoppable and effectively unsinkable. I originally started with Kobo. I have now got rid of all the devices (thankfully, only a couple of books on them were paid for) and switched to Kindle. So have most users. All other eBook content distributors in Eu are now effectively dead. The only content is Kindle or pirated (for Kindle).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: All other eBook content distributors in Eu are now effectively dead

you mean the UK market.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Nook and Kobo never even arrived to other countries, it's Kindle or cheapie Chinese Androids sold as e-readers supplied with an Adobe DRM reader.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Kobo (W H Smith backed) works wonderfully. Easily freeable from the DRM too, even on Linux, so no worries about your books vanishing if this happens to them.

The new hardware has trendy backlights etc. too.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I started with Kindle, it terminated itself.

My partner's kindle battery life was abysmal (bit like her android phone).

I got a kobo, and calibre is my friend (for free books/papers obviously).

Apart from that , the charity shop is my library of choice, or a book repository service

(interestingly where I spotted 50SOG and its sequels cheap, not that I would read them of course!!)

2. John Sager

A letterbox sized screen is not ideal for reading books which, lets face it are more suited to a 4:3 screen ratio

Well, the first bit is true, but all the books I usually read have a portrait aspect ratio. The usual small size paperbacks in the UK are 198x128mm - an aspect ratio of ~3:2 in portrait. So you just turn the tablet on its side?

As for Nook, I bought one of these in preference to a Kindle as it could read a wider range of e-book file formats. I suppose I half expected some problems further down the line - the history of DRM content is littered with content lock-outs due to businesses going bust or getting out of the market. Perhaps B&N don't want to pay the publishers to licence content for the UK. I shall be royally pissed off though if any of the books I currently have get wiped by Sainsbury's because they haven't licensed it.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

The Ebook readers are streets ahead of phones and tablets for reading text only books.

They are lighter, run cool, battery lasts several times longer, better in daylight and less strenuous on the eyes. I've come to prefer them over paper books for pure convenience, even though I still buy books because I like books, I find myself downloading the EBook for reading at night with the gentle backlight.

Problem for Nook in the UK is the brand just didn't catch on. Barnes and Noble aren't really a recognised name for most and if there is a challenger to Kindle then it's Kobo with its High Street presence and better products.

1. Mage Silver badge
      Boffin

DRM?

Save every download to PC, not direct to device.

Calibre has plug-ins to remove DRM. DRM is ultimately contrary to Berne Convention on Copyright.

Don't ever give copies to someone else after you remove DRM.

I read Kindle content with DRM on a my Kindle and my Kobo (using my Kindle's serial number).

Amazon leaves it to Publisher to decide if AZW file has DRM or not.

1. BurnT'offering

Re: Calibre

This - An eBook without Calibre is like living in Shoreditch without a ukulele.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
          Coffee/keyboard

That made my day. It really has.

Have an upvote and a nice ukulele song.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: DRM?

> Calibre has plug-ins to remove DRM

*Ding*. Which is why, when I buy ebooks from $STORE, the first thing I do is download them and import them into Calibre. Which promptly removes the DRM so that I can read them on my $DEVICE_OF_CHOICE (currently a Kobo Aura HD) rather than where the manufacturer thinks I should.

It also means my ebooks get backed up properly (NAS, Time Machine & Crashplan) so can get recovered in the event of $STORE deciding they don't want my business any more..

2. VinceH

"I've come to prefer them over paper books for pure convenience,"

Ditto.

I also continue to buy real books, because I like books - but my pile of unread books is just growing bigger and bigger, because my ebook reader is massively more convenient. In some cases, I do have both the paper and ebook - usually where I've decided I want to read an old book I have once again, but my library is generally different in e and paper forms.

What I'd like to see happen is a repeat of what Amazon did with CDs/MP3s, where if you buy the physical version, you also get to download the digital version. I suspect that's a lot less likely to happen with books, though.

3. Mark 85

I've come to prefer them over paper books for pure convenience, even though I still buy books because I like books,

I tend to go the other way. I prefer the paper and given the way the market is, ebooks have a habit of disappearing or changing formats. I want my reading material to be mine, not some profit based company that's renting me the book for only as long as they are in business.

I note from the article that hard copy sales are up but the ebooks business is what's killing them. It makes me think that there's a lot of folks who feel the way I do...

1. VinceH

"I want my reading material to be mine, not some profit based company that's renting me the book for only as long as they are in business."

Calibre is your friend. Or wants to be.

3. Stanislaw
    Flame

They never ever got it, did they?

I have a couple of Nook devices and I love 'em. Really nice little bits of hardware.

They have always been thoroughly, utterly, totally let down by B&N's appalling online store. It does not surprise me one bit to hear they botched their web site relaunch too.

I've been waiting, waiting for them to see the light and realise where they've been going wrong with digital sales, but clearly they never had an inkling.

And I'm sure they'll have to do better than maintaining access to the "vast majority" of what I've bought from them. There must be consumer laws governing this sort of thing?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: They never ever got it, did they?

"they never had an inkling"

I see what you did there.

Agree that the e-book hardware was (is) nice, buy they also failed because went for stores like John Lewis and Argos instead of Smiths and Boots.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Re: They never ever got it, did they?

I bought a Nook because it was cheap, and I knew that Calibre would mean all my Kindle books would work.

I did look at using the Nook store (because why help Amazon develop their monopoly?), but it took me so long to work out which site I was supposed to go to in order to pay in pounds that I just went back to buying books from Amazon and stripping the DRM.

I've started using the Kobo store a bit now though, Calibre can cope.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Calibre

Run your e-book library through this and you can view them on any of your devices and they can't pull the rug out from under you like this. You bought them, after all.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      FAIL

Forgot to mention you also need to install Apprentice Alf's DRM Removal Plugin for Calibre. Icon for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Calibre DRM Removal

Another +1 for Calibre (I like it's inbuilt webserver, so you can make eBooks available over your home network).

In terms of DRM removal, the other way is to acquire ePub/mobi files without DRM to start with - and there seem plenty of sources. And as long as publishers think charging *more* for an eBook than the dead-tree version seems acceptable (which clearly they do, or they wouldn't do it) that state of affairs seems set to continue.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Publishing is a completely dysfunctional industry, run by idiots. So it's no surprise that reader technology is much better than the content distribution shops tied to it.

We have two Nooks, a Kobo, and a Kindle in this house, with an iPad and a Samsung tablet. Calibre makes it possible to keep a library DRM-free on a server, and either copy files to the devices as needed, or read them live direct from disk.

Which is how it should work. The DRM dance makes as much sense as requiring a Sony DVD player for Sony DVDs, a Disney player for Disney DVDs, and so on.

Even the music industry worked out that was a bad plan. But publishing - run by idiots, remember - was never going to be able to understand that.

The irony is that it's not a particularly big industry compared to the other media outlets, so they were literally fighting over scraps.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Is it still the case that while a paper book is VAT free (or zero rated), an ebook carries VAT? Ridiculous...

The Kobo is a lovely little tool, if you stick to DRM-free epubs. If it's got DRM, you don't own it, in spite of having paid for it.

5. Kraggy

So why is anyone surprised that there's a [good] chance that people will lose some [or most] of the content they paid for .. sorry, RENTED?

Only the naive would expect anything else given the DRM shenanigans of the digital age .. and expect TTIP to make it MUCH worse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And "piracy" will continue to flourish

because of dumbassery like this. Far better to strip the DRM out of your books, convert your library using Calibre and tell the publishing industry to shove the latest 21 volume edition of the Oxford English Dictionary up their cloacas.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: And "piracy" will continue to flourish

21 volume edition of the Oxford English Dictionary

I feel cheated! Mine's only 20 volumes. What's in the volume that comes after Wave-Zyxt, or does it come before A-Bazouki?

6. Valeyard

Paper books

My books are paper and no matter what new technology comes along or what super whizzy formats, i know i'll be able to read 'em whenever i want without having to ask some corporation

1. James 51

Re: Paper books

True but I've got only so much shelf space. That's the biggest advantage digital has. There are ebook websites (such as TOR) that sell books DRM free. I feel obliged to mention Black Library as well but given they've jacked the price of their ebooks up higher than the hard backs in many cases my advice would be to avoid them.

1. Valeyard

True but I've got only so much shelf space.

yep. i have 3 bookcases currently double-stacked and a windows 10 PC hidden somewhere under the pile of excess books, and the wife has said no bookcases in any other room.

but it's all worth it, and it was only a win 10 pc anyway

another thing is that ebooks don't really come 2nd hand. I buy books off ebay for 1-3 quid and each will last me a week or so. £3 a week is pretty good in any hobby, but look at the same book as an ebook and it'll be over a tenner, no way man.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

£3 a week is pretty good in any hobby, but look at the same book as an ebook and it'll be over a tenner, no way man.

If you enjoy classic literature then EBooks are free all the way.

2. djack

Baen

I can't believe that no-one has mentioned the (original?) anti-drm publishing stalwarts - Baen Books.

I've been buying their stuff on and off for years - a great attitude and nice company to deal with.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My problem is failing eyesight. As much as I like the paper version, an e-reader has considerable advantages for those of us cursed with crappy eyeballs.

3. MachDiamond Silver badge

My house looks much like a library at this point. While I love physical books, it's getting to be more of a problem storing them. I've been paring my collection down to very unique volumes that will never get digitized and reference volumes for my engineering work. Having everything else in digital format would be great.

What is needed is legislation that treats digitally distributed content just like content delivered by printed books and CD/DVD. Once purchased, it cannot be taken back by the seller for any reason. I've held back on purchasing an e-reader because of these issues.

Remember when Disney blacked out their movies during the Christmas holidays so people would have to watch their films on the Disney Channel and more importantly, the commercials? Major DRM fail. It was all legal and in the fine print. I've read enough fine print to remain a neo-trogladite.

1. Triggerfish

Have just given away a load of books to charity, tried giving them to the library and they are not allowed to accept them, so 6 crates of quality sci-fi and some other stuff, mostly in good nick went to the charity, and they reached in the crates and just lugged the books into a pile it was sort of wince inducing.

Ebook readers definitely win on travels though, my luggage weight has dropped considerably.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Ebook readers definitely win on travels though, my luggage weight has dropped considerably.

Wish I could upvote that more. Bane of my life being told that my luggage was overweight and had to be checked in rather than carried on. My Kindle doesn't need a magnifying glass either :-)

1. Triggerfish

Yeah I have spent months abroad and had half a rucksack full of books, just because every second hand bookshop abroad is full of Dan Brown and John Grisham.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"customers had digital expectations."

Yes, and many will be showing that digit to B&N.

Another upvote for calibre here. I put all the ebooks I buy into it, that way my wife & I can share them on our kindles just as we'd share physical books that we've bought.

I don't entirely agree with the comment that Kindle is the only way, though. I've found some books that are only available via Kobo, not on Amazon. Kobo also seem not to care about regional issues, I can buy Kobo books from any market, no matter what country I'm in. Amazon requires me to register an official address (for my portable device).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bought a Nook when I read on ElReg that they had dropped the price by £30. It has been connected to the Nook store only once. When I saw their ridiculous* prices I went instead to that other well known store TPB. There are also online epub libraries if you can get an invite.

I did try to legitimately borrow books from my local library but of course Adobe Editions is not supported for Linux. Yet another DRM fail.

*If ebooks were about £2 I would buy them, I'm not paying £8.99 for a book that I'll only read once.

9. simmondp

March with your wallet - buy only open formats

This is a great example of why you should ONLY use open formats. MP3 for you Music and e-Pub for your books. Yes, my Nook may only last until it dies, but I will have all my purchased content backed up and ready to port onto my next device. Will Apple be around in 10 or 20 years time? But at least my music (currently on my iPod) will be portable to whatever is around.

1. Jamesit

Re: March with your wallet - buy only open formats

"MP3 for you Music"

MP3 is patented and not an open format. You need a license if you sell a certain amount. FLAC is an open format.

1. Richard Simpson

Most MP3 patents have expired and the few that remain will do so by the end of 2017.

2. bygjohn

FWIW, AAC is an open format, as is Apple Lossless since they released the codec as open source.

The old iTunes DRM isn't open, natch, but as they haven't sold DRMed music since 2009, that's not much of an issue.

10. John H Woods Silver badge

I had a nook ...

... it could read almost any format, I could play puzzle games on it and even browse some of the less frantic websites. In fact it was too useful and I carried it everywhere, eventually resulting in it being trodden on by a horse.

If you have one, and this is going to affect you, I suggest you root it like I did, you've got little to lose, and a very cheap e-ink Android device to gain.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

access to the vast majority of your purchased NOOK Books

I think you assume too much, i.e. that whoever shared this piece of "customer comms" put in words exactly what he / she was supposed to. In fact, it's much more likely they didn't how to write in English or simply didn't focus, as he/she was, simultaneously, checking her fb profile, etc.

p.s. they probably meant something like a "vast quantity".

That said, I could be wrong. However, apart from gasping at this potential outrage, what can they _really_ do about those books already purchased and sitting on individual nooks? They might be stupid, or not, but I'm pretty sure not stupid enough to repeat that amazon blunder, not to mention most (?) nook owners don't have wifi on by default.

12. BurnT'offering

As so many folk above said - get Calibre

And I'm gonna be on the look out for Nook close-out sale bargains

1. Vic

Re: As so many folk above said - get Calibre

And I'm gonna be on the look out for Nook close-out sale bargains

It's a nice piece of kit. A *little* laggy to respond occasionally, but that's only a minor annoyance.

Do inspect it carefully, though - there seems to be a manufacturing issue where the screen material tears slightly. That won't stop you reading - but it is unsightly. John Lewis replaced mine without quibble...

Vic.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a bitter laugh

a have a different one: it proves, once again, superiority of pirated / stolen over legal / purchased...

1. John Mangan

Re: a bitter laugh

Upvoted with a heavy heart.

I have never knowingly retrieved pirated content but there are times . . . e.g. sitting through the 'Don't pirate DVDs!' 'feature', for the x^nth time, when I COULD be watching the content I actually paid for that I do wonder . . .

1. Vic

Re: a bitter laugh

sitting through the 'Don't pirate DVDs!' 'feature', for the x^nth time, when I COULD be watching the content I actually paid for that I do wonder . . .

This image says it all...

Vic.

14. Gavin Chester

Ironically I'd bought a used Kindle a week ago for exactly the reason that Amazon is becoming the only player in town, and the old Android Amazon Kindle app that a rooted Nook can use won't now connect to Amazon as certs have been changed due to old ones expiring.

That said my £50 Glow Touch isbrilliant for reading on, especially when the light was low, such as on planes or trains at night so it will live on even if I have to side load stuff. When it dies I'll replace it with a lighted paperwhite but that hopefully that's a long while off as its only really used when we go on holiday, rest of the time I like dead tree versions of books....

1. John Mangan

Kobo and Calibre + DRM removal

I too prefer paper books. I have some that I bought over forty years ago that have never run out of batteries, failed certificate expiration tests or become obsolete/unreadable formats.

Unfortunately I too have run out of space and resorted to the Kobo because of its multiple format support and the ability to bypass DRM using Calibre. Battery life is excellent, the screen light is superb and the ability to carry dozens of books in a small form factor is brilliant.

I have NEVER paid more for an ebook than for a paperback and bookbub is good if you want notifications of offers that are available.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

I bought a Nook because I could put ePubs on it.

Then stuffed it full of classics from Project Gutenberg. The B&N store was atrocious, and I've never bothered with it.

Thoroughly pissed of though that the viewer doesn't properly support the index order control, hyperlinking and hidden content features of the ePub standard though. Otherwise it might have been useful for creating smart manuals and text-based branching games.

16. jake Silver badge

I have a local library ...

... I can walk to it. It carries almost all the content that "Nook" does.

And it's available for free.

Do the math(s).

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: I have a local library ...

I have a local library

Can you get it in your suitcase for an extended vacation?

1. jake Silver badge

@Phil O'Sophical (was: "Re: I have a local library ...")

When I'm on vacation (rare, that) I have no interest whatsoever in reading anything I can read at home.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Effectively, yes. Because my local library lends out ebooks in DRM protected ePub format. Which means I can borrow the books for nowt*, read them on the eReader, and the author will receive some remuneration in the same way as when I borrow paper books from the library. If I finish the book while on holiday. it's back to the website and take out another.

That's the main reason I own a Kobo and a Nook, have previously owed a Sony eReader, and will never own a Kindle, since it doesn't support the format used by lending libraries.

* Strictly speaking, I do actually pay for them, via that part of my council task which goes towards funding the library service, but I pay that whether or not I use the service so....

2. John Mangan

That's not really true though, is it? Probably for bestsellers, classics and so on but for the smaller titles, niche interest and out of print books ebooks do have an advantage. Also not everyone lives within walking distance of a library, certainly not a main library, and . . . . you have to give them back (that bit actually looks very like the Nook now I think about it).

1. jake Silver badge

"Also not everyone lives within walking distance of a library, certainly not a main library."

There is a branch library anywhere there is a school. Look up intra-library loan. You can access damn near anything that has ever been in print. Try it, you might like it.

1. Vic

There is a branch library anywhere there is a school.

What - and I can just walk into a school and use their library, can I?

That sort of behaviour gets you arrested over here...

Vic.

1. jake Silver badge

"What - and I can just walk into a school and use their library, can I?"

Depends. If it's an elementary/primary/junior/middle/high school (i.e. pre-adult), you'd best go to the administration and politely ask first. I have never had a problem demonstrating this to people who poo-poo this concept. Adult schools that you can walk to usually embrace their local community. As I said, try it. You may like it.

"That sort of behaviour gets you arrested over here..."

Where, exactly, is "over here"? I've used it on both sides of the pond.

1. Vic

Where, exactly, is "over here"? I've used it on both sides of the pond.

You wouldn't now. You would be asked to leave. If you pressed your case, the police would be called.

Vic.

3. MAF
      Unhappy

Sadly not true for a growing number of the UK public.

4. FlossyThePig

I use my local library online (Suffolk). Just about all the books I've read on my Kobo Touch came from there, in ePub format.

Calibre is overkill for me as I only need a small utility to strip DRM. How else can you read LOTR (>1300 pages) or GOT (>4000 pages), single volume editions in the three week loan period.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This has been coming

I prefer my nook to my partner's kindle, and built up quite a library on it, both from cree oeubs, and B&N's e-store. I had the Nook app on my windows phone. I found it suddenly unable to access my library. I emailed customer support, and got a terse email saying they'd advised users a couple of months earlier. Not even have a nice day. They bombard existing customers for more sales and didn't do enough to increase customer base. But, in the face of Amazon, what can they do? Monopoly is the way it's going

18. roctastic

This wouldn't be the first time I've lost my purchased ebooks with barnes and noble. A similar thing happened back in the early 2000's with the adobe glassbook books. Apparently there was nothing they could do about it then. At least this time there might be a chance to keep your purchases.

1. jaduncan

...and you bought in again?

19. Brian Allan 1

All depends if they maintain a UK database. If not, you're shite out of luck!

20. rar

As a family we have Nook glowlights - never downloaded books from their store just buy epub from where ever is cheapest and sideload them.

There does a last seem to be a spread of prices for many ebooks.

Even without Calibre and DRM removal Adobe Digital Editions allows you to share ebooks betwen a limited number of devices.

I tried Kindles and Kobos and find the Nook easier to use.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon