back to article Greybeard monobrow baldies rejoice! Boffins comb out hairy genes

University College London boffins have identified the genes that makes hair go grey, cause baldness and even induce the dreaded monobrow, think they can prevent all from happening. The research is outlined in a paper titled A genome-wide association scan in admixed Latin Americans identifies loci influencing facial and scalp …

1. Ole Juul
    Joke

"we're a long way from treatments"

Too bad, I was hoping they'd have something you could slip in someone's drink.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd much rather have lots of grey hair and a monobrow than looking like Alan Shearer and Danny Murphy on MOD. Stick a cherry on their heads and they look like a pair of tits looking for a snug home in a bra.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Coat

That's weird: I've always thought of them as a pair of dicks! Then there's that hairy twat, Robbie Savage.

I don't mind a bit of banter along with the football but the BBC is doing a great job of imitating the tabloids.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Windows

No treatment for me

I'll stick with my grey hair and beard, thank you. I've yet to grow the monobrow, or unibrow as it is also referred to as.

My brother and laugh at each other... he's 7 years my junior and is bald, and I am as grey as the old mare. He says look at all that grey hair, and I say at least I still have it...

1. lawndart

Re: No treatment for me

It's a unibrow until you leave full time education. Mature students find their monobrow temporarily becomes a unibrow until they complete their course.

4. frank ly

It's personality and character that matter

That's what I say nowadays.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is brilliant news, I can't wait for my "Shaft" afro pill.

1. Elmer Phud

But you'll look more like Leo Sayer than Richard Rountree.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Watch your mouth. he's a bad mother trucker.

2. Tom 13

Just make sure they don't give you the wrong pill. Imagine winding up with Richard Simmons' afro instead.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I don't mind going grey at all since it looks somewhat dignified and offsets my babyface. (Incidentally, I'm going for the 'overweight George Clooney' in my overall appearance.)

No, the only hair related problem I have are the hairs that started growing in places where I didn't used to have hair and where I don't need and don't want any. What do I need hairs on my earlobes for? Go home Mother Nature, you are drunk!

1. Mystereed

I think hairs are like sycamore seeds, they fall out, float down and take root on ears, shoulders, back etc.

1. Peter Simpson 1

Yea, call me when they figure out how to keep the hair on my head from moving to my chest and my back.

7. Magani
    Linux

A note to those with grey hair:-

You've still got hair.

Penguins don't have hair either.

8. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

SWMBO has put me on notice that if I ever get vain about my appearance, she'll leave me.

a) I don't believe her, but I'm not prone to that kind of vanity in the first place.

b) My genetics are my genetics. I relish that reality.

c) All y'all who care about your hair, get over yourselves.

9. Graham Marsden
    Happy

Genetics...

Some years ago at my grandmother's funeral, someone commented how much myself, my cousins, my uncle and my late father and grandfather all looked like each other. Subsequently, looking back through some family photos, it was the same for my great-grandfather and his brothers.

All of us went grey at an early age (my hair started greying at about 21) but none of us have lost it or even showed signs of thinning.

I can live with that :-)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Genetics...

For the record, Graham, human male hair is genetically linked to the maternal Grandfather.

1. Tom 13

Re: human male hair is genetically linked

That's what I've always heard, but I'm starting to wonder. I recall that grandfather as pretty much solid gray with visible bald spot. I turned 50 last year and the salt is just starting to appear in the pepper, no signs of thinning yet.

Mostly I'm just counting myself as fortunate.

Now where's the icon for knocking on wood?

10. Chewi
    Happy

Meh

I was so hung up about losing my hair young and yet when I finally shaved it all off, it was truly liberating. I wish I'd done it sooner. It may not suit everybody but I certainly wouldn't go back. Not anon because it really doesn't bother me any more.

1. LINCARD1000
      Trollface

Re: Meh

There's a certain irony about your Register username and your statement about being all shaved... :-)

(troll icon in lieu of a 'laugh out loud' or amused equivalent icon)

1. jake Silver badge

@ LINCARD1000 (was: Re: Meh)

You do know that "Chewi" (spelling varies) is the diminutive of the name "Jesus", right? It's quite common, here in Sonoma California. Two of my friends use that handle ...

1. Chewi

@jake

News to me. I wish you hadn't told me that!

2. Chewi

Re: Meh

Yeah, that's the funny thing, they called me Chewbacca at school because I was the first to get facial hair. It stuck and later got shortened. By the time I realised it should have been Chewie, it was too late to change it. I feel I've earned the name in my own right after all these years.

11. Little Mouse
    Pint

The Big Yin

Rember Billy Connolly's piece about his pubes?

"I don't mind them going grey, but Jesus!, I hope I don't go bald!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dr Evil

There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Dr Evil

I highly suggest you try it

Be careful...

http://www.amazon.com/Veet-Hair-Removal-Creme-200ml/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You wouldn't believe the difference it makes

With a woolly hat on, or hiding under an umbrella, I definitely get *some* looks from some ladies (not a lot, but hey), but in the cold light of day with full balding greyness on show, they *all* flat-out ignore me. It's actually noticeable enough.One glance, they decide "eww, too old", and they look away again like I'm invisible and worthless.

I'm past caring really, but it still amuses me what a difference it makes.

So before you accuse people of vanity, just imagine what being totally ignored and written off feels like. Most men still like to feel relevant and not old before their time!

13. akeane

It's not grey...

... it's SILVER, as I am constantly having to remind my nearest and dearest...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: It's not grey...

It's not Silver, it Distinguished.

14. Eddy Ito

If only they could find a gene that would limit the length hair grew to so it was more like fur. How about a nice 15 mm or so? Ah the joys of true low maintenance. If not, I might as well go completely bald including the chin as I've had enough of this cut, trim & shave nonsense.

15. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Ok, so this all is genetic

But what about hairy palms?

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Thumb Up

Re: Ok, so this all is genetic

Lack of use?

:-)

16. To Mars in Man Bras!
    Facepalm

Get On With It!

I must have been reading articles about "genetic breakthroughs" related to hair loss, for nearly a decade now. And still no sign of a cure for baldness. I wish these boffins would hurry up. Worrying about how to afford the next month's supply of minoxydil, is making my hair fall out even faster than it was already.

Icon: Slap Head [geddit!!!!] -------->

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Get On With It!

"And still no sign of a cure for baldness"

There's still castration. :)

2. Tom 13
      Coat

Re: Get On With It!

You could always try hair looming for men.

17. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Monobrow revisited

But, is it lowmonobrow or highmonobrow?

1. hplasm
      Coat

Re: Monobrow revisited

Are normal eyebrows a stereobrow?

18. LaeMing
    Megaphone

Monobrow rights!

Eyebrows of the world UNITE!

1. Tom 13

Re: Monobrow rights!

I thought the problem was they were already united and were looking for a divorce.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like